Hi from Nema
Posted: 26 May 2011 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-05-26

Hi, I’m a new user. My screen name is Nema Tode. This name isn’t especially significant—it’s just hard to decide on a pseudonym, so I chose Nema Tode because nematodes are fascinating creatures, and Nema is kind of a nice name. Brief info about me: I’ve become more and more interested in science and skepticism in the past few years. This is partly because I believe in learning from life experience, and life experience has proven that a lot of my ideology-based beliefs were incorrect. It’s also partly because of media such as Science Friday and online skeptic blogs, podcasts, and websites that have helped me figure out how to evaluate evidence, how to spot logical fallacies, and so on. Some the skeptic sources I enjoy are: The Skeptic’s Guide to the Universe, Center for Inquiry, QuackCast and Mark Crislip’s other podcasts (I don’t know why I’m so fascinated with germs), and Skeptoid. I also like to read Science Based Medicine and the related blogs to get info. That’s all for now.

Posted: 26 May 2011 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome, N-T.  It seems as if you chose a good screen name for yourself since nematodes are amazingly able to burrow into just about anything which seems to describe your interest in a variety of scientific topics.  smile

Looking forward to your participation.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 26 May 2011 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-26

Good point! I’ll pretend I thought of it myself.

Posted: 26 May 2011 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Sounds great, and welcome Nema!

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 26 May 2011 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Great handle!! I wish I’d thought of it first! smile welcome, dive in!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 May 2011 04:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Excellent and well chosen group of skeptic sources, Nema. Don’t miss Quackwatch and the Skeptic’s Dictionary, either.

Welcome to the CFI Forum.

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 27 May 2011 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Nema.  I like your handle.  smile  Please jump in and join us.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 01 June 2011 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-26
dougsmith - 27 May 2011 04:03 AM

Excellent and well chosen group of skeptic sources, Nema. Don’t miss Quackwatch and the Skeptic’s Dictionary, either.

Cheers,

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn’t heard of the Skeptic’s Dictionary before. It looks like a great resource. The section on critical thinking should be useful. I already found Quackwatch awhile ago, and I use it for medical info and good reading.

The Beauty Brains is another of my favorite practical, fun, pro-science skeptic sites.

Nema

Posted: 01 June 2011 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24
Nema Tode - 01 June 2011 05:25 PM
dougsmith - 27 May 2011 04:03 AM

Cheers,

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn’t heard of the Skeptic’s Dictionary before. It looks like a great resource. The section on critical thinking should be useful. I already found Quackwatch awhile ago, and I use it for medical info and good reading.

The Beauty Brains is another of my favorite practical, fun, pro-science skeptic sites.

Nema

The skeptics dictionary is good and entertaining,some of the reader responses will make you very glad to be a skeptic.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

‹‹ Hello from China      Hey From Egypt ››