Epistemics
Posted: 30 May 2011 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-05-29

Hi All. My name is Wilf and I live in West Kelowna B.C. I have just finished reading Christopher Hitchens new book, HITCH 22, a memoir, along with GOD IS NOT GREAT(I notice he does not capitalize god) and THE PORTABLE ATHEIST by the same author. I highly recommend these books to all skeptics and nonebelievers and especially to theists.

I started a web site and published my first article. There is lots more to; come but first I have to learn how to manage and develop the site. It is tittled EPISTEMICS and can be connected by typing, htpps://smartestmonkey.wordpress.com

I failed in grade six and that was the end of my formal education and so my writting may be deficient in some respect. Although I came late to the bamquet of knowledge I have tried to gorge myself on my own for most of my life. Problem is I am now 83 yrs. old and memory sometimes fails me. Nevertheless I think I manage to make myself understood in the subjects I deal with, ie, in the social sciences, historical and current philosopy, economics and politics in which I am well read.

Looking forward to reading the comments of you all and of recieving your coments and your critsizm of what I have to say.  Wilf

Posted: 30 May 2011 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome, old-timer from a youngster of 80.  I’m looking forward to your posts.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 30 May 2011 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2008-09-27

http://smartestmonkey.wordpress.com/

hello, wilf, and welcome. 
you mistyped http, and a simple cut-and-paste provides a live link (at least on my computer, i don’t know if that’s universal).

nice clean look to your blog, but “universal intelligence” isn’t my cup of tea… and attributing a long opening quote to “buddhist philosophy” is… like attributing one to “christian philosophy”—awfully broad.  I’d have been interested in something more specific…

oh, and i’m just a stone’s throw from B.C. myself, here in whitefish, MT.

Posted: 31 May 2011 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-09-07

Welcome to the pencil-neck-geek lounge. Your blog, as Isaac pointed out, has a nice and simple look to it and, I dare say, a plethora of knowledge coming from the wisdom of age and experience. I’ll be sure to go over your write-up asap.

As for the youngster of 80, you’ll find that he is not as pliable as your seniority may demand, and is not one to easily bow to the authority of tradition.

Signature 

If you see God, tell Him I’m looking for Him.

Posted: 31 May 2011 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27

just read some of your older post, “cactus land”, and kept wondering if i was reading about your own experience in china, or if this was by the “Devin Loree” cited at the top (perhaps cited merely as the author of that term, ‘cactus land’).

?

http://smartestmonkey.wordpress.com/2011/05/27/29/

Posted: 31 May 2011 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Wilf.  My grandfather had the name Wilfred also.  It is an uncommon spelling.  Anyway, I think you’ll enjoy it here, so feel free to join us.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 03 June 2011 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-29

The article, “Cactus Land”, was written by my Grandson. After graduating from University he went to China to teach English. He had been there only a few months when he wrote that article.He is an aspiring writer. He has now been there over three years and will be teaching in the University there this fall.
Wilf

Posted: 05 June 2011 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27

I liked the couple pages worth that i read.

Posted: 08 June 2011 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-06-07

Hi Wilf! I’m new here also. I just read your blog and I must say that I’m impressed. Although your “formal” education ended in 6th grade, it’s obvious that you have spent a lifetime educating yourself. I like the Buddhist introduction, it can be relevant to many, not just Buddhists. The small amount of reading about Buddhism that I’ve done, I’ve liked, especially the way Buddhism allows the reader (or student) to see situations from different perspectives, i.e., with an open mind. Christianity, however, is very narrow-minded and it’s teachers just love the pat answer - “it’s god’s will”. I don’t hate much, but I really hate that phrase. Being raised a strict catholic, I heard that frequently.
I also loved your grandson’s Cactus Land. Very well written. He seems to be a very intelligent and observant young man. However, he may need to lay off the beer!
Welcome Wilf! I look forward to updates on your blog.

[ Edited: 08 June 2011 08:27 PM by Barchie ]

Posted: 14 June 2011 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-29

Hi All;
    Thanks for your comments. I’m going to make some additions to the heading on my blog by adding my picture, albeit an old one, and a statement of what I intend to do with this blog. But I am still trying to figure out some details on how to set everything up. One thing I want to do is create a side panel to refer readers to articles written by others that I admire and express my own thinking. The subjects will be wide ranging in search for answeres about why and how we humans think and behave as we do. I hope my blog will be interesting to those seeking understanding themselves.
Wilf

‹‹ Is plunder groundless?      OrygunGal ››