1 of 2
Participate in my research study on atheists
Posted: 02 June 2011 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-05-28

Hi all,

I made sure to get permission from the administrator Doug Smith to post this thread. There is a serious lack of academic research on atheism and atheist online communities such as this one. To address this gap, I am conducting a study that would benefit greatly from the contribution of you guys. The study consists of an anonymous survey which should take you no longer than 10 minutes. The survey features questions about living as an atheist as well as questions about your participation in this forum.

I would be extremely grateful if you could complete the survey and I will definitely report back when the study is complete to let you guys know the results and conclusions. Additionally, if you have any questions for me, I would be glad to answer.

Here’s the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MYPNTH6

Thanks everyone.

Posted: 02 June 2011 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Is this study toward the pursuit of some degree? If so, what degree? What is the title of the research project?

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 02 June 2011 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

No worries, glad to have you here.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 02 June 2011 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-28
traveler - 02 June 2011 07:12 AM

Is this study toward the pursuit of some degree? If so, what degree? What is the title of the research project?

Research in pursuit of a PhD investigating online communities for stigmatised minorities.

Posted: 02 June 2011 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2008-10-09

http://atheism.110mb.com/

Probably more useful for research purposes than my personal perspective.

Signature 

My superiority complex is better than yours.

Posted: 02 June 2011 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
UCCResearcher - 02 June 2011 07:34 AM

Research in pursuit of a PhD investigating online communities for stigmatised minorities.

Thanks! I’ll take it.

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2011 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7574
Joined  2007-03-02

I helped you out, but I might skew the survey concerning participation a bit, since I’m a mod and therefore here quite a bit.  LOL

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 02 June 2011 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Might be good to give your name and affiliation. (University in which you’re getting the degree). Unless for some reason that must be kept confidential, but in that case perhaps you could provide a reason. It’s not that I don’t believe you, but it might lend the process some credibility. (Anyhow it wouldn’t be difficult to dissemble about such things).

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 02 June 2011 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28

Unless I’m missing something, you really ought to preface your questions with a consent form.

Posted: 02 June 2011 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

interesting survey. Please post a link to the results.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 02 June 2011 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
skuld - 02 June 2011 10:24 AM

Unless I’m missing something, you really ought to preface your questions with a consent form.

Why? No personal info is being taken…

Signature 

Posted: 02 June 2011 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Well, after taking the survey, I feel it’s innocuous, but really not worthy of a UCC student.  Highschool, maybe, but it’s pretty superficial for a college course.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 03 June 2011 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  438
Joined  2009-01-28
traveler - 02 June 2011 12:06 PM
skuld - 02 June 2011 10:24 AM

Why? No personal info is being taken…

informed consent.  it’s more to inform the participant what the study is about,the objective, procedures etc.  even online studies typically need tio document informed consent.

just a simple outline of the project and a blank that the person can check to say that they have understood what is expected of them and willngly consent to participate should be sufficient.

Posted: 03 June 2011 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-02

Just as a note, generally the Institutional Review Board (IRB) requires some sort of informed consent for any primary data that you obtain. And if this is in pursuit of a PhD (which I took to mean has something to do with your dissertation) you’ll have to get that. As well as any conference presentation or paper you hope to publish. Unless this is just for a graduate class, in which case it wouldn’t be necessary.

Just trying to be helpful.

Posted: 03 June 2011 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  7574
Joined  2007-03-02

I am not certain, but with the info he gave, I think taking the survey is consent.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 04 October 2011 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2011-10-03
UCCResearcher - 02 June 2011 07:08 AM

Hi all,

I made sure to get permission from the administrator Doug Smith to post this thread. There is a serious lack of academic research on atheism and atheist online communities such as this one. To address this gap, I am conducting a study that would benefit greatly from the contribution of you guys. The study consists of an anonymous survey which should take you no longer than 10 minutes. The survey features questions about living as an atheist as well as questions about your participation in this forum.

I would be extremely grateful if you could complete the survey and I will definitely report back when the study is complete to let you guys know the results and conclusions. Additionally, if you have any questions for me, I would be glad to answer.

Here’s the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MYPNTH6

Thanks everyone.

Where will you publish the results?

Signature 

“I am neither a Christian, nor an atheist, I’m not Jewish or Muslim … my religion is written on a piece of parchment called the Constitution”

1 of 2