1 of 3
Douglas Adams - Great SciFi writer or The Greatest SciFi writer?
Posted: 02 June 2011 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2011-04-11

This might be beating a dead sci fi writer, but I was really saddened at the untimely demise of the inventor of the fabulous “Ford Prefect” and “Zaphod Beeblebrox” characters.  I notice that at least one person here has one of DA’s many great lines as a signature. 

Where does Douglas fall on the accomodationist / confrontational spectrum?  His writing was clearly the product of a godless, free thinking mind.  I think his humour might well have pushed at least some of his fans out of the orbit of religious delusion… especially the younger ones whose parental indoctrination might not yet have fully “taken”.

Signature 

Homeopaths don’t have brains, just skull water with the memory of brains - Robin Ince of The Infinite Monkey Cage podcast
The phrase “False Prophet” is redundant.  Cleanliness is next to… nothing.
I don’t have a God-shaped hole in my soul.  You have a Reason-shaped hole in your head!

Posted: 03 June 2011 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25

Sad to see Douglas Adams go.  But then if science fiction writers lived forever, then L. Ron Hubbard would still be alive and writing.

Posted: 03 June 2011 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I was surprised because I had thought he died a fair while ago so I just googled him.  He was born in March of 1952 and he died May 14, 2001  So it wasn’t new news. 

I particularly liked the old BBC version of the Hitchhiker’s Guide that came out many years ago.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 03 June 2011 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
ullrich - 02 June 2011 07:51 PM

especially the younger ones whose parental indoctrination might not yet have fully “taken”.

Parental indoctrination never fully “takes.” Parents might be responsible for the label you choose to identify with, but according to twin studies they have no influence over their kids’ religiosity. Dawkins is wrong on this one.

Back to Adams. I have never read anything by him. Should I? Would “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” be the obvious first choice?

Posted: 03 June 2011 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25

I watched a TED talk that Douglas Adams gave that was dated 2010.  I went back and checked it and it said it was filmed in 2001 but posted in 2010.  I really enjoyed that TALK.

Posted: 04 June 2011 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-11

George - 03 June 2011 06:41 PM
ullrich - 02 June 2011 07:51 PM

especially the younger ones whose parental indoctrination might not yet have fully “taken”.

Parental indoctrination never fully “takes.” Parents might be responsible for the label you choose to identify with, but according to twin studies they have no influence over their kids’ religiosity. Dawkins is wrong on this one.

Back to Adams. I have never read anything by him. Should I? Would “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” be the obvious first choice?

I hope you’re right on the first point… at least as far as children of religious zealots goes.  smile  Unfortunately, it sometimes works the other way too,  children of rational parents wind up sucked into cults.

In answer to your questions, Yes and Yes.

Douglas Adams’ writing has a unique combination of profundity and outrageous humour which makes all his work (including the Dirk Gently series and his “Last Chance to See” series) absolutely delightful.

IMHO, his writing quality is second only to the late, great Isaac Asimov and had Adams lived, he might eventually have surpassed Asimov.

Signature 

Homeopaths don’t have brains, just skull water with the memory of brains - Robin Ince of The Infinite Monkey Cage podcast
I don’t have a God-shaped hole in my soul.  You have a Reason-shaped hole in your head!

Posted: 04 June 2011 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I will give Adams a try. Thanks.

Posted: 04 June 2011 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 04 June 2011 10:20 AM

His tombstone (or urn) should have, “So long, and thanks for all the fish.”  tongue wink

That movie was great fun! (I liked the series too, but not quite as much).

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 04 June 2011 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 04 June 2011 10:20 AM

I read it for the first time last year. I really enjoyed it. It also made me aware of how often it is referenced in pop culture.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 04 June 2011 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

I don’t know if Adams is the best scifi writer of all time, but he is my favorite.

George, if you have an iPod or iPhone you can download (at least in the USA) a sample of Hitchiker’s Guide and see how you like it before you pay. I bought the book when it was first available in paperback. This line hooked me: “In the beginning God created the Universe. This has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made many people very angry.”

I knew I’d like the book. It is one of the few I have read more than once.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 04 June 2011 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
DarronS - 04 June 2011 07:55 PM

I don’t know if Adams is the best scifi writer of all time, but he is my favorite.

George, if you have an iPod or iPhone you can download (at least in the USA) a sample of Hitchiker’s Guide and see how you like it before you pay. I bought the book when it was first available in paperback. This line hooked me: “In the beginning God created the Universe. This has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made many people very angry.”

I actually bought it as an audio book to listen to on the way to work. It frequently had me in tears laughing. I listened to it several times.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 05 June 2011 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-04-11

asanta - 04 June 2011 08:44 PM
DarronS - 04 June 2011 07:55 PM

I actually bought it as an audio book to listen to on the way to work. It frequently had me in tears laughing. I listened to it several times.

I first ran into HHGTTG when it first came out as a radio play on CBC radio here in Canada while I was driving somewhere with my wife.  I had the same reaction.

Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2011 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Yes, Darron, I like that part too—I have heard it before. When it comes to downloading the book, I am afraid that won’t work for me: I am a dinosaur when it comes to technology.  grin

Posted: 05 June 2011 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  2425
Joined  2007-07-05

Douglas Adams - Great SciFi writer or The Greatest SciFi writer?

He just wasn’t a science fiction writer.  LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDNrnpefGio

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 05 June 2011 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

As I recall, George, there were some very good used book stores in your area.  I’ll bet you can find a used paperback copy of Hitchhiker’s Guide in one of them.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 June 2011 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 05 June 2011 11:38 PM

As I recall, George, there were some very good used book stores in your area.  I’ll bet you can find a used paperback copy of Hitchhiker’s Guide in one of them.

Occam

That’s a great idea Occam. If he doesn’t like it, Adams aficionados are a dime a dozen. He can foist it off on the nearest one!

Signature 

1 of 3