3 of 3
Douglas Adams - Great SciFi writer or The Greatest SciFi writer?
Posted: 16 January 2012 08:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5189
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome back L.B.  And yes, I’ve known ever since I put that question to my first computer, an Apple II, that 42 is the answer to everything. LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 17 January 2012 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  2799
Joined  2011-11-04
LuckyBezel - 16 January 2012 07:48 PM

42?

I’m sorry.  What was the question?

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 17 January 2012 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  5189
Joined  2010-06-16

In one of Adam’s books they ask the ultimate computer (I don’t remember the exact question) something like “What is the ultimate knowledge?”

The computer worked for a while and came up with “42”.

I’m sure someone can post the correct question.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 17 January 2012 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  2799
Joined  2011-11-04
Occam. - 17 January 2012 12:12 PM

In one of Adam’s books they ask the ultimate computer (I don’t remember the exact question) something like “What is the ultimate knowledge?”

The computer worked for a while and came up with “42”...

Occam

I know. downer  I was simply baiting LB to provide the ultimate question, so as to bring about the end of the universe or something even more bizarre.  See below:

“In Life, the Universe and Everything, Prak, a man who knows all that is true, confirms that 42 is indeed The Ultimate Answer, and confirms that it is impossible for both The Ultimate Answer and The Ultimate Question to be known about in the same universe (compare the uncertainty principle) as they will cancel each other out and take the Universe with them to be replaced by something even more bizarre and that it may have already happened.”

I shouldn’t have.  I hope that this sort of risking ending the universe as we know it, is not against the posting rules.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 20 January 2012 08:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2005-01-14

The Question was, “what is the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything?”  In other words, what they wanted to know was the meaning of life.  The computer responded that the answer was “42”.  But this meant nothing unless you knew exactly what the Question was.  So they had to built an even bigger computer to work out what the question was.  This computer they named “Earth”.

When you think about it, it all makes sense.  Life is simply an exercise in figuring out what the meaning of life is!

Posted: 20 January 2012 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
advocatus - 20 January 2012 08:14 AM

The Question was, “what is the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything?”  In other words, what they wanted to know was the meaning of life.  The computer responded that the answer was “42”.  But this meant nothing unless you knew exactly what the Question was.  So they had to built an even bigger computer to work out what the question was.  This computer they named “Earth”.

When you think about it, it all makes sense.  Life is simply an exercise in figuring out what the meaning of life is!

The ultimate question was never known; only the answer to the (unknown) ultimate question.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 27 January 2012 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  908
Joined  2005-01-14

Has anyone else read the novel “And Another Thing…” by Eoin Colter? (I think I got his name right.)  The publisher has the audacity to label in “Part Six” in the Hitchhiker’s Guide series, and apparently it also has the endorsement of Jane and Polly.

I read it just recently, and while I found it mildly interesting, it just wasn’t in the same ballpark as Adams’ books.  It was just a lot of random weird things and pointless dialogue.  Arthur Dent is relegated to just wandering around feeling confused.  I actually put it down half way through and forgot I was reading it!  I saw it on my night stand and thought, “Did I finish this or not?”  When I saw my bookmark was still in the middle of the book, I figured I must not have.  I did finish it, but really it’s nothing to write home about.

Posted: 01 February 2012 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2012-02-01
brightfut - 03 June 2011 07:11 PM

I watched a TED talk that Douglas Adams gave that was dated 2010.  I went back and checked it and it said it was filmed in 2001 but posted in 2010.  I really enjoyed that TALK.

I’m so very glad I saw this thread! That talk was brilliant, it made my day. Thank you!

Signature 

My heavy metal Doctor Who theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_9g2nXpYl0

Posted: 02 February 2012 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  2291
Joined  2007-07-05
brightfut - 03 June 2011 07:11 PM

I watched a TED talk that Douglas Adams gave that was dated 2010.  I went back and checked it and it said it was filmed in 2001 but posted in 2010.  I really enjoyed that TALK.

That was funny and sad.

Ten years and what progress on the problems.  JEEZ!

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

3 of 3