1 of 3
24 Dumb Things People Waste Their Money On
Posted: 06 June 2011 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3056
Joined  2010-04-26

Link

Organic produce, tanning booths, dogs from breeders, movie candy, and much much more.

I can hear it now, “Hey!  It’s not wasting money to pay for [insert thing].  I buy it all the time.”

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 06 June 2011 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Dead Monky - 06 June 2011 01:06 PM

“Hey!  It’s not wasting money to pay for [insert thing].  I buy it all the time.”

Hey! It’s not wasting money to pay for expensive male haircuts. I buy it all the time. Haircuts, cheap or expensive, look almost the same for the first week or so. But since I only get a haircut every two to three months, it makes sense to spend a little more and not having to run back every two weeks. I actually spend less this way.  cool smirk

Posted: 06 June 2011 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2006-05-04

You can also waste money indirectly through opportunity costs, like the often morbidly obese couponing obsessives on TLC who figure out how to buy hundreds of dollars of crap they can’t use for pennies on the dollar, then stack it up in the mini-warehouses they’ve built in their homes. They should have a crossover show with the series about compulsive hoarders.

Signature 

Mark Plus, Advanced Atheist
"There was a time before reason and science when my ancestors believed in all manner of nonsense." Narim on Stargate SG-1.

Posted: 06 June 2011 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2698
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 06 June 2011 01:30 PM

“Hey!  It’s not wasting money to pay for [insert thing].  I buy it all the time.”

Hey! It’s not wasting money to pay for expensive male haircuts. I buy it all the time. Haircuts, cheap or expensive, look almost the same for the first week or so. But since I only get a haircut every two to three months, it makes sense to spend a little more and not having to run back every two weeks. I actually spend less this way.  cool smirk

You can get exellent haircuts that aren’t expensive,just do it yourself excaim

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 06 June 2011 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
mid atlantic - 06 June 2011 04:01 PM

Or an excellent jacket: a garbage bag with a piece of rope around your waist.

Posted: 07 June 2011 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
mid atlantic - 06 June 2011 04:01 PM

I have found that my natural hormones have managed my haircuts quite nicely.  tongue rolleye

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 07 June 2011 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-07-05

That is the nice thing about going to the movies during the winter.  Buy a big bag of candy and stick it in your pocket.

It just doesn’t work with the popcorn.

But I noticed something very strange about myself.  I really don’t like the smell of popcorn unless I am in a theater. 

That is weird.  LOL

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 07 June 2011 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I don’t bother with paying for a haircut at all.  I just shave my head down to a half inch or so every couple of months and there’s no real point in paying someone to do something I can do myself or my girlfriend can do for me.

psikeyhackr - 07 June 2011 08:19 AM

But I noticed something very strange about myself.  I really don’t like the smell of popcorn unless I am in a theater. 

That is weird.  LOL

psik

I don’t like popcorn at all.  I hate the smell and I hate the taste.  It’s nasty.  But yeah, you are weird. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2011 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Dead Monky - 07 June 2011 10:09 AM

I don’t bother with paying for a haircut at all.  I just shave my head down to a half inch or so every couple of months and there’s no real point in paying someone to do something I can do myself or my girlfriend can do for me.

That’s what I’m talking about!I do the same,just not always down to half inch.A $20 pair of clippers can last for years.

psikeyhackr - 07 June 2011 08:19 AM

That is weird.  LOL

psik

I don’t like popcorn at all.  I hate the smell and I hate the taste.  It’s nasty.  But yeah, you are weird. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2011 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Egads, man!  Fixeth thine tags.

Signature 

Posted: 07 June 2011 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

What sloppy bastard I am downer

Signature 

Posted: 08 June 2011 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Go stand in the corner.

Signature 

Posted: 10 June 2011 03:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

That haircut thing!  I’m middle aged, never been beautiful, and lost most of my hair in my 20s.  If you’re young, handsome, and hirsute and it’s going to make a difference in your sex life, spending 30 or 40 bucks for a haircut might be worth it, but for me, it’s about as useful as landscaping the yard in front of a condemned house.  To add insult to injury, stylists don’t charge by the acre, so I have to pay as much for my postage stamp of a lawn as someone who gets a couple acres mowed.

[ Edited: 10 June 2011 03:29 AM by Jeciron ]
 Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 12 June 2011 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Oh, the popcorn thing… I like the cinemas better than a home cinema.  I hear that the cinemas get most of their money from the food, and little of it from the ticket price.  The food is as bad as can be, but still I do like a big screen, big sound, and a big audience.  Maybe if they sold a decent meal, they could sell more food and afford to lower the prices down to a reasonable level.  I remember one cool cinema, with a bar and grill in the lobby, with food service inside the theatre room.  Well the seats and tables were average office furniture and compfy, the food was only a bit better, if it wasn’t alcohol then it was deep fried, but still it was a step in the right direction.  smile

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 13 June 2011 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2010-02-20
jump_in_the_pit - 12 June 2011 08:59 AM

Oh, the popcorn thing… I like the cinemas better than a home cinema.  I hear that the cinemas get most of their money from the food, and little of it from the ticket price.  The food is as bad as can be, but still I do like a big screen, big sound, and a big audience.  Maybe if they sold a decent meal, they could sell more food and afford to lower the prices down to a reasonable level.  I remember one cool cinema, with a bar and grill in the lobby, with food service inside the theatre room.  Well the seats and tables were average office furniture and comfy, the food was only a bit better, if it wasn’t alcohol then it was deep fried, but still it was a step in the right direction.  smile

Theaters practice price discrimination on tickets because it actually increases their bottom line, food is different, demand is “inelastic” in that demand doesn’t change much with price.  They’d be stupid to charge less, even if they sold more.

Signature 

“The present age ... prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, fancy to reality, the appearance to the essence ... for in these days illusion only is sacred, truth profane.”

Feuerbach

Posted: 14 June 2011 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I’ve always just snuck my junk food into the movie.  It pays to have friends with large purses. LOL

Signature 

1 of 3