2 of 3
A Computational Theory of Consciousness
Posted: 18 November 2011 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3347
Joined  2011-11-04
domokato - 17 November 2011 03:49 PM

To evolve intelligent agents, their environment must be such that intelligent behavior is selected. The main questions that arise are, what is intelligence? How can we select for intelligence? How can we do that automatically? How can we do that quickly? And how can the genetic mechanisms be designed to allow the agents to achieve a high level of intelligence without getting stuck in local optima?

Consider, for example, evolving a bipedal robot controller. For each individual in the population, you would have to let it control the robot for enough time to accurately judge its competency. The population should be in the thousands to ensure a diverse gene pool. So if you’re letting each individual have control of the robot for 30 seconds, and you have 1000 individuals, that’s at least 30000 seconds per generation (8 hours, 20 minutes). And you would probably have to let it run for hundreds of generations before anything useful crops up (all depending on the algorithm you use). On top of that, you would need some fitness function that could automatically judge each individual’s competency for you. And some individuals will find ways to cheat the fitness function if they can, so you have to be very careful about how that’s designed.

Simulating evolution sounds simple until you start to realize how long nature has been doing it and improving on the process. It is also a slow process. But with computing power grower ever faster, I can only see it becoming a more and more valid approach.

I don’t think I am following the example that you cite.  Could you explain more explicitly who/what you mean by “each individual in the population”?

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 18 November 2011 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
TimB - 18 November 2011 04:31 PM

I don’t think I am following the example that you cite.  Could you explain more explicitly who/what you mean by “each individual in the population”?

In a genetic algorithm, you have a population of individuals. Each individual is an encoding of a “solution” to the problem at hand (getting a robot to walk). Each individual is tested to see how well they perform, then they all reproduce (with the better performing ones having more chance of reproducing), thereby creating the next generation. Rinse, repeat.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 20 November 2011 02:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  6174
Joined  2009-02-26

Quantum computers which use Qbits are the answer.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/fabric-of-cosmos.html#fabric-quantum

The Quantum computer is discussed in the last part of this astounding presentation.

[ Edited: 20 November 2011 03:01 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 22 November 2011 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Sorry, the quantum computer is discussed in another section of that Nova program:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/fabric-of-cosmos.html#fabric-multiverse

It also describes entanglement and how it could be used for quantum transporters ala Star Trek…...no kidding…...its awesome.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 23 November 2011 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  3347
Joined  2011-11-04

In a genetic algorithm, you have a population of individuals. Each individual is an encoding of a “solution” to the problem at hand (getting a robot to walk). Each individual is tested to see how well they perform, then they all reproduce (with the better performing ones having more chance of reproducing), thereby creating the next generation. Rinse, repeat.

How do the “individuals” reproduce?

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 23 November 2011 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2009-05-10
TimB - 23 November 2011 01:25 PM

Depends on the implementation. Usually you perform a genetic crossover operation between two parent genomes to generate two child genomes (very similar to biological genetic crossover, except with code or numbers instead of nucleotides), then mutate parts of the child genomes randomly. But, asexual reproduction (cloning with mutation) is also possible.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 23 November 2011 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
domokato - 23 November 2011 03:16 PM

Depends on the implementation. Usually you perform a genetic crossover operation between two parent genomes to generate two child genomes (very similar to biological genetic crossover, except with code or numbers instead of nucleotides), then mutate parts of the child genomes randomly. But, asexual reproduction (cloning with mutation) is also possible.

In the Nova segment I mentioned you can quantum clone a person (or anything) over a vast distamce. Unfortunately the original is destroyed in the process.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 23 November 2011 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2009-05-10
Write4U - 23 November 2011 04:31 PM

In the Nova segment I mentioned you can quantum clone a person (or anything) over a vast distamce. Unfortunately the original is destroyed in the process.

Dang, I missed it, and I can’t find any listings to record it

Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2011 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
domokato - 23 November 2011 10:59 PM
Write4U - 23 November 2011 04:31 PM

Dang, I missed it, and I can’t find any listings to record it

Its on Nova , Fabric of the Cosmos ,  Quantum Leap (length 52.25 min),
chapter 4 @ 35:00 explains entanglement
chapter 5 @ 39:00 speculates on entanglement space travel
chapter 6 @ 44:30 speculates on quantum computers with entangled Qbits

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/fabric-of-cosmos.html#fabric-quantum

My connection was interrupted a few times but by restarting and moving the bar to where it stopped , it continued fine.

[ Edited: 24 November 2011 02:27 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 24 November 2011 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2009-05-10

Cool, didn’t realize you could watch right on the website. Thanks for the link

Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2011 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
domokato - 24 November 2011 11:59 AM

Cool, didn’t realize you could watch right on the website. Thanks for the link

It never worked for me. Maybe it’s because I am in Canada. Can anyone here, who is not stateside, let me know if it works for them?

Posted: 24 November 2011 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2009-05-10

Great show. Re: quantum computers, I had read about quantum computers before, but the maze metaphor helped my understanding a bit more. I can really see how that would be useful for GA (genetic algorithms), since they are basically search algorithms like the maze solver. I still don’t understand how the algorithm would be written for a quantum computer, though.

Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2011 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
domokato - 24 November 2011 12:54 PM

Great show. Re: quantum computers, I had read about quantum computers before, but the maze metaphor helped my understanding a bit more. I can really see how that would be useful for GA (genetic algorithms), since they are basically search algorithms like the maze solver. I still don’t understand how the algorithm would be written for a quantum computer, though.

Perhaps by analyzing the electro/chemical processes in the various portions of the brain using the entanglement principle (Qbits). Creating an entangled particle for every electro/chemical exitement in the brain. The entangled bits might be used to map the thinking process. Once mapped, it may be possible to build suitable structures and algorithms to “imitate” these processes in a purely electrical (Qbits) environment.

Just musing… cheese

[ Edited: 24 November 2011 04:49 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 26 November 2011 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2009-05-10

I wonder why biological life hasn’t evolved quantum computational abilities yet. Maybe it requires controlled conditions that living cells haven’t evolved or couldn’t.

Signature 

Posted: 26 November 2011 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
domokato - 26 November 2011 03:11 AM

I wonder why biological life hasn’t evolved quantum computational abilities yet. Maybe it requires controlled conditions that living cells haven’t evolved or couldn’t.

Yes..perhaps we need a biochemical structure to be able to grow braincells and synapses, which may pose a limitation on processing data at the quantum level. Going purely electrical may solve the quantum problem, but may restrict any evolutionary growth process.  Just musing… cheese

[ Edited: 26 November 2011 03:43 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

2 of 3