3 of 3
A Computational Theory of Consciousness
Posted: 15 December 2011 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
Write4U - 26 November 2011 03:40 AM
domokato - 26 November 2011 03:11 AM

I wonder why biological life hasn’t evolved quantum computational abilities yet. Maybe it requires controlled conditions that living cells haven’t evolved or couldn’t.

Yes..perhaps we need a biochemical structure to be able to grow braincells and synapses, which may pose a limitation on processing data at the quantum level. Going purely electrical may solve the quantum problem, but may restrict any evolutionary growth process.  Just musing… cheese

Biological life continues to exist because of evolutionary processes. Biological life with what we refer to as “intelligence” exists currently as it is successfully adapted to current environmental contingencies, meaning the organisms that have this intelligence are successful at surviving to reproduction.  I don’t know whether our organic braincells can ever (or even whether they may now) process data at a quantum level, but if an intelligent machine, with or without quantum processes were designed, I don’t see why it could not also be designed to develop according to an evolutionary model.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 15 December 2011 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
domokato - 26 November 2011 03:11 AM

I wonder why biological life hasn’t evolved quantum computational abilities yet. Maybe it requires controlled conditions that living cells haven’t evolved or couldn’t.

Yes, you would think, that over the billions of years, Maybe it has at sometime in the history of biological evolution on Earth, but did not provide a survival-to-reproduction value over the environmental contingencies when the organisms with these abilities lived, and thus they became extinct. Or, even better, maybe those who developed it decided to move on elsewhere. Or maybe some species do have it currently and we just don’t know it.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

3 of 3