the two category fallacy
Posted: 21 October 2006 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  226
Joined  2006-04-07

Theists try to conflate natural selection with teleology , by declaring that God works through natural selection ; but that is a contradiction in that natural selection shows no purpose and no goals whereas teleology shows goals and an end state, putting the effect before the cause, negating time. To obviate that contradiction they put forth the two category classification of origins or contingency and creation or necessary being [ Russell Stannard] ,but as Malcolm Diamond and Kai Nielsen show in their books on philosophy of relgion , that classification rests on begging the question of the second category. This shows why I say what I do in my signature. Also see Richard Dawkins’s ’ The God Delusion’ for more on the failure of theistic evolution .Amiel Rossow @ Skeptic Society library shows in his essay on Kenneth Miller’s book why the contradiction insues.[color=green:d6764b3303][/color:d6764b3303][color=yellow:d6764b3303][/color:d6764b3303][color=yellow:d6764b3303][/color:d6764b3303][color=olive:d6764b3303][/color:d6764b3303][size=24:d6764b3303][/size:d6764b3303][color=olive:d6764b3303][/color:d6764b3303] :idea:  :idea:  :idea:

Signature 

Fr. Griggs rests in his Socratic ignorance and humble naturalism.He might be wrong!His cognitive defects might impact his posting. Logic is the bane of theists.‘Religion is mythinformation.“Reason saves, not that fanatic Galilean!
  ’ Life is its own validation and reward and ultimate purpose.”

Posted: 24 March 2007 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  226
Joined  2006-04-07

:D   Ernst Mayr ,late dean of biologists has this to say ” Selection is not teleological[ goal directed < no purpose, but function ,I add >] .Indeed , how could an eliminative process be teleological ?S election does not have a long term goal.It is a process repeated anew in every generation.The frequency of elimination of evolutionary lineages , as well as their frequent change in direction is inconsistent with the mistaken claim that selecton is a teleological process.Also there is no known genectic mechanism that could produce goal-directed processes ... To say in other words , evolution is not deterministic.” It would be backward causation otherwise. So ,again, not only does the razor eliminate the need for God - supreme mind- but is contrary to selection ! Theistic evolution is thus an oxymoron ! Now I dearly thank Catholics Kenneth Miller and Francisco Jose Ayala for their excellent work in defending evolution ! :wink:

Signature 

Fr. Griggs rests in his Socratic ignorance and humble naturalism.He might be wrong!His cognitive defects might impact his posting. Logic is the bane of theists.‘Religion is mythinformation.“Reason saves, not that fanatic Galilean!
  ’ Life is its own validation and reward and ultimate purpose.”

Posted: 29 March 2007 04:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2007-03-11

Excellent griggsy, science does make a distinction between function and purpose.

As far as natural law being god goes, I immediately think of these words so succinctly put by Feynman:

“God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand. Now,  when you finally discover how something works,  you get some laws which you’re taking away from God; you don’t need him anymore. But you need him for the other mysteries. So therefore you leave him to create the universe because we haven’t figured that out yet; you need him for understanding those things which you don’t believe the laws will explain,  such as consciousness,  or why you only live to a certain length of time- - life and death-  -stuff like that. God is always associated with those things that you do not understand. Therefore I don’t think that the laws can be considered to be like God because they have been figured out.” ~ Richard P. Feynman