1 of 2
Fundamentalist Anti-Evolution Radio
Posted: 15 June 2011 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25

I’m going to school in Lafayette, Indiana and while I’m driving to school at any time I can scan the radio stations on the dial and pick up a radio program talking about the “Lies of Evolution.”  Is it just Lafayette or does every town have this much anti-evolution radio?  I know people are listening to it also, because I meet them in my classes. If I mention the word evolution they will immediately say, “Oh, no, I don’t believe in evolution.”  They don’t know much about evolution but they know they don’t believe in it.  I’m really amazed at how much time the radio stations spend talking about it.  Most of the people they have on talking about how irrational evolution is have “Dr.” or “PHD” titles to their names.

Posted: 15 June 2011 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

It crops up from time to time around here.  Mostly on the AM talk radio shows or the local Christian station.  Though I must say, the Christian station is a lot more polite about it and they mention it much less often.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 15 June 2011 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2011-06-12

I don’t think I’ve ever heard any in Toronto.  There are a few religious radio stations though, and I can’t say I listen too intently.

My advice: turn off the radio, get an iPod and fill it with skepticism and science podcasts.

Posted: 15 June 2011 01:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Because everybody can afford an iPod. wink

In any event, you need to listen to the people you disagree with from time to time.  Otherwise, you end up a fundie.

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2011 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-02-25

I like to listen to the radio to hear music I don’t have on my i-pod.  These are all FM stations I am getting when I am scanning for music.  I know it is masochistic to pause when I hear “lies of evolution,” but sometimes I use it as an opportunity to work on my skills of spotting and naming logical fallacies.

Posted: 15 June 2011 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I do it for a laugh.

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2011 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2008-02-25
Dead Monky - 15 June 2011 02:29 PM

I do it for a laugh.

They don’t disappoint on that account.  Like today they were making the argument that just because 96 percent of chimp DNA is the same as human DNA is not evidence for evolution.  They said just because a cloud is composed of 96 percent water and a jellyfish is also composed of 96 percent water does not mean that they have anything in common.  Then the other people on the panel laughed at “the stupid arguments that evolution people make.”

Posted: 15 June 2011 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I like that one.  Haven’t heard it before.  My favorite though is still the classic “If man evolved from monkeys why are there still monkeys running around?”  Classic.

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2011 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
Dead Monky - 15 June 2011 02:59 PM

I like that one.  Haven’t heard it before.  My favorite though is still the classic “If man evolved from monkeys why are there still monkeys running around?”  Classic.

To think, there was a time in my life when I couldn’t answer that!

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 15 June 2011 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-02-25

LOL I’m not going to admit when I found out the answer to that one.

Posted: 15 June 2011 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-12
Dead Monky - 15 June 2011 01:32 PM

In any event, you need to listen to the people you disagree with from time to time.  Otherwise, you end up a fundie.

If this were a matter of opinion, I’d be with you.  But the issue here isn’t that I disagree with them—it’s that consensus science disagrees with them.  I don’t see any more point in listening to evolution deniers than to people claiming to have discovered a perpetual motion machine. 

At least at a personal level.  If your intent is activist, i.e. to understand the mindset in order to refute / debate it, that’s a different story.

Posted: 15 June 2011 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  6120
Joined  2009-02-26
Erik Davis - 15 June 2011 06:45 PM

If this were a matter of opinion, I’d be with you.  But the issue here isn’t that I disagree with them—it’s that consensus science disagrees with them.  I don’t see any more point in listening to evolution deniers than to people claiming to have discovered a perpetual motion machine. 

At least at a personal level.  If your intent is activist, i.e. to understand the mindset in order to refute / debate it, that’s a different story.

My intent is not activist. I believe in live and let live. I just like to be prepared when my beliefs are attacked by fundies or in discussing the merits of theocratic laws which affect my life. I will never yield to discrimination and/or intimidation.

[ Edited: 15 June 2011 08:37 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 16 June 2011 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2010-02-20
Write4U - 15 June 2011 08:33 PM
Erik Davis - 15 June 2011 06:45 PM

My intent is not activist. I believe in live and let live. I just like to be prepared when my beliefs are attacked by fundies or in discussing the merits of theocratic laws which affect my life. I will never yield to discrimination and/or intimidation.

Refuting the anti-evolution/science crowd requires us to be ever vigilant and prepared.

Signature 

“The present age ... prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, fancy to reality, the appearance to the essence ... for in these days illusion only is sacred, truth profane.”

Feuerbach

Posted: 16 June 2011 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-20

If you want to get a really good dose of anti-evolution programming, I suggest you watch the Trinity Broadcast Network and a spiffy little program called “Creation in the 21st Century”, hosted by Dr. Carl Baugh of Glen Rose, TX and the man responsible for the Creation Science Museum in Glen Rose. 

I hadn’t been aware that God’s plan included dinosaurs as lawn mowers in Eden, keeping the grass nice and short.

Signature 

TG Browning>>>
http://www.revisedevilsdictionary.com

Posted: 16 June 2011 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  6120
Joined  2009-02-26
tgbrowning - 16 June 2011 11:21 AM

If you want to get a really good dose of anti-evolution programming, I suggest you watch the Trinity Broadcast Network and a spiffy little program called “Creation in the 21st Century”, hosted by Dr. Carl Baugh of Glen Rose, TX and the man responsible for the Creation Science Museum in Glen Rose. 

I hadn’t been aware that God’s plan included dinosaurs as lawn mowers in Eden, keeping the grass nice and short.

Shades of Jurassic Park.

There is actually a thriving lawn mower service which employs goats. They come in with a trailer full of goats and stake them out on your lawn. In a few hours your grass is mowed and no need to dispose of the waste. Of course the owner may have to deal with a few goat pellets left behind, but that falls under fertilizer….. cheese

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 16 June 2011 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07
tgbrowning - 16 June 2011 11:21 AM

People make millions supporting other people’s belief in heaven.

1 of 2