Former long-term Ohio member seeking kindred spirits in VT
Posted: 20 June 2011 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-06-20

I “came out” as an atheist about 10 years ago.  Would like to chat with fellow secular folks.  In Ohio we had a meet-up once a month.  Is there anything like that in Vermont?

Posted: 20 June 2011 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-06-07

Hi and welcome! I just joined here also. The moderators are particularly intelligent and helpful. (I’m not kissing butt, you guys really are!)
I was raised in NH and VT and most of my family still resides in that area. The area is predominantly christian and very white. While you will find some very nice people, good luck finding other atheists. I was unable to. Although I haven’t lived there for 18 years, I still visit frequently. Nothing has changed much. I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”. Well, last summer during a visit to my dad in Vermont I was at a gift store and saw a t-shirt that said, “What happens in Vermont stays in Vermont. But nothing really happens here”. That’s actually very true.
Your best bet for finding other atheists to meet in person would be in the Boston, MA area. I don’t know if there are any groups or societies or how you would find them. Posting on this forum is the only thing I can think of. I’ve done a lot of reading topics and threads here and it’s been fascinating and enlightening. If you can’t find people to meet in person, at least you can meet some great thinkers here! Good luck on your search.
Barchie

Posted: 20 June 2011 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7822
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Vickirunion.  Glad to have you here.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 20 June 2011 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15740
Joined  2006-02-14

Hi and welcome to the CFI Forum, Vicki. Not sure if there’s anything like what you remember in Ohio there in Vermont. You might try checking with Meetup locally, or email a branch such as the one up in Amherst, NY; it’s not particularly close to you but might be the closest.

Meanwhile please enjoy the Forum!

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 21 June 2011 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-06-20

Thanks for the info!