Sen. Hatch and the Quackery Industry
Posted: 21 June 2011 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Front page of the NYTimes today, a long article on Sen. Hatch’s involvement in protecting quackery from regulatory scrutiny. Read it HERE (may require login):

Support Is Mutual for Senator and Utah Industry

By ERIC LIPTON
Published: June 20, 2011

SALT LAKE CITY — A drive along mountain-lined Interstate 15 here shows why Senator Orrin G. Hatch is considered a hero in this region nicknamed the Silicon Valley of the nutritional supplement industry.

In the town of Lehi is the sprawling headquarters of Xango, where company officials praised Mr. Hatch, a Utah Republican, late last year for helping their exotic fruit juice business “operate without excessive intrusion” from Washington. ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 21 June 2011 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

The following two statements by Hatch (from the article) say something about his honesty.

“No relationships have or will ever have any impact on my policy positions,” Mr. Hatch said in a written statement.

“It is important that you support your champions — support people who support you,” Mr. Hatch told the gathering.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 21 June 2011 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
traveler - 21 June 2011 05:23 AM

The following two statements by Hatch (from the article) say something about his honesty.

“No relationships have or will ever have any impact on my policy positions,” Mr. Hatch said in a written statement.

“It is important that you support your champions — support people who support you,” Mr. Hatch told the gathering.

Hmm, they seem a littlecontradictory to me…. rolleyes

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 21 June 2011 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

A congress critter contradicting his self? Say it ain’t so!

As for Hatch helping the Supplementary Complementary and Alternative Medicine industry, I am not surprised. Libertarians like to point out Democrats also have their ethical and scientific lapses, but you have to hand it to the Republicans: they have developed anti-science stances into a very profitable art form.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 21 June 2011 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 21 June 2011 06:19 PM

..., but you have to hand it to the Republicans: they have developed anti-science stances into a very profitable art form.

That’s the trickle down part. Corporations to Republicans.  red face

Signature 

Posted: 21 June 2011 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

So that’s what Ronnie Raygun meant. All these years I thought Trickle Down Economics was corporate bosses pissing on workers.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 21 June 2011 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Hmm, they seem a littlecontradictory to me….

Just a little???? wink

Not far from where I live, there’s a factory which produces any number of so-called “supplements” for the GNC trademark where a chum of mine once worked. The workers in this place tended to refer to a lot of this stuff as junk, crap, sugarpills, garbage and the like, and those were the nice things they had to say.

The problem in dealing with all of this is that this is an extremely lucrative industry with the sort of deep pockets which makes it possible to buy the best possible deals in Washington, a town where money talks even when what’s being sold is snake oil that’s ineffective at best and dangerous at worst.

Close regulation with the laws being written so that the manufacturers have to meet the same standards of scientific studies that the rest of the pharmacutical industry has to meet is desperately needed.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 22 June 2011 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 21 June 2011 07:23 PM

So that’s what Ronnie Raygun meant. All these years I thought Trickle Down Economics was corporate bosses pissing on workers.

Golden shower economics. Where all rainbows have a pot at the end.  tongue rolleye

Signature 

Posted: 27 June 2011 04:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

David Gorski of Science Based Medicine gives us his take.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 27 June 2011 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
dougsmith - 27 June 2011 04:20 AM

David Gorski of Science Based Medicine gives us his take.

Well-written article, even though it pissed me off.  tongue wink I certainly hope someone takes advantage of that post-Hatch window to squash a bad law.

Signature