I’m Occam
Posted: 22 October 2006 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I’m retired, and a long term humanist.  I had no religious training, but my mother taught me to read using mythology books.  When my aunt decided I need inculcation she gave me a child’s bible when I was seven.  I loved it because it was the source of all sorts of great fairytales. 

When I was ten I heard the word, "atheist" and felt it described me.  When I was twelve, I got involved in the scientific method and realized the only logical choice based on lack of proof was agnostic, so I switched.

This lasted until my first year of college when my girlfriend who was much brighter than I asked, apropos of nothing, "Do you believe in Santa Claus?"

I said I didn’t, so she went through, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and a few others.  Then she said, "Do you believe in God?"

"You know that I’m an agnostic" I said.

"Do you have any proof that Santa Claus and the others DON’T exist?"

"Of course not."

Then how can you declare that you don’t believe in them?  Shouldn’t you be a Tooth Fairy agnostic?"

I didn’t speak to her for a week.  Since then I’ve been an atheist.

============
I was at a party many years ago, and someone asked, "When did you decide you were an atheist?" 

I made the mistake of taking a breath before I answered, because my wife quickly said, "As soon as he realized that if there were a god, it wasn’t him." 

She almost became my ex-wife for that one.  smile

Occam

Posted: 22 October 2006 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14

Excellent stories, Occam ... BTW, I’m fond of your razor ...

:wink:

Welcome!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 25 October 2006 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2006-09-02

that last one made me laugh.  I’m always encouraged when I hear of teachers and doctors who are atheists-  as this necessarily rules themselves out of the running..

Posted: 28 October 2006 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

running for what popeth?
J

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)