1 of 4
check out the new cigarette labels
Posted: 22 June 2011 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15

Yips,
Yesterday I heard about it, today I saw the images. 
Perhaps now groceries stores will be compelled to hide the ciggies, either that or settle for selling less food.
Then again, maybe most of us have become too inured to notice, too numb to care.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/20/cigarette-warnings-labels-photos-fda_n_880885.html#s295465

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 22 June 2011 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2011-06-12

That’s nothing.  This is what we’ve had in Canada for over a decade now - they take up about half the package:

cigarette.jpg

More recently, they’ve mandated that all cigarette packages are within opaque enclosures at retail.

Posted: 22 June 2011 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Yet people still smoke?!  shut eye

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 22 June 2011 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-12

Yes, but only because it’s cool

Posted: 22 June 2011 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Erik Davis - 22 June 2011 02:46 PM

Yes, but only because it’s cool

That’s true! I want a mouth like that in the picture…  tongue wink

Signature 

Posted: 22 June 2011 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17

I thought we ‘rational’ people realized that people aren’t very rational? smile Although overcoming a nicotine addiction is a bit different than say… choosing broccoli* over a bacon cheeseburger. (Although for some it might be just as difficult.)

Take care,

Derek, a former smoker

* Broccoli with bacon and cheese is quite tasty as well. LOL

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 22 June 2011 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

Lies,lies,lies,all of those pictures show what happens when you exercise,eat healthy foods,and don’t smoke.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 22 June 2011 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3799
Joined  2010-08-15
harry canyon - 22 June 2011 03:41 PM

I thought we ‘rational’ people realized that people aren’t very rational? smile Although overcoming a nicotine addiction is a bit different than say… choosing broccoli* over a bacon cheeseburger. (Although for some it might be just as difficult.)

Take care,

Derek, a former smoker

* Broccoli with bacon and cheese is quite tasty as well. LOL

You mean Bacon with cheese smoothering a bit of broccoli   tongue wink

Derek,  Congrat’s on kicking the habit. 
I had sort of a habit in my twenties for a while, but it amounted to one or two in the evening, very elegant, and sexy.  Dang if that wasn’t tough enough to kick.  In fact, not sure I could have totally kicked it if my body didn’t start kicking my butt.  Anymore if I smoke a couple cigarettes, I come down with a terrible chest cold.  Tested a number of times over many years.  Now I don’t even think about trying anymore.

Too bad I can’t master all my vices with such aplomb.  red face

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 22 June 2011 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
citizenschallenge.pm - 22 June 2011 04:42 PM

Agreed…

Congratulations to you as well! It’s been fifteen years for me. I used to smoke 2 to 2 1/2 packs a day; even more when I went to the bar. I don’t miss it one bit. After the first six months or so rediscovering the taste of food was amazing! LOL

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 22 June 2011 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
harry canyon - 22 June 2011 04:55 PM
citizenschallenge.pm - 22 June 2011 04:42 PM

Agreed…

Congratulations to you as well! It’s been fifteen years for me. I used to smoke 2 to 2 1/2 packs a day; even more when I went to the bar. I don’t miss it one bit. After the first six months or so rediscovering the taste of food was amazing! LOL

Take care,

Derek

Three years smokefree here as of 6/8/11.I started smoking at 12 and I quit at 27.It was much less difficult than I thought.Damn your right about food,now I’m a big fan of spices and herbs,when I smoked I could’nt really taste much difference beween anything!

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 22 June 2011 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Oh those tobacco smokers… its the marijuana smokers who try-like-hell to keep their smoke to themselves, yet they are the ones who get the bad reputation and jail time… the tobacco smokers (boo hoo hoo) get an itty bitty factual photo of the diseases that can happen.

Ah, yes!  Justice in the USA, it is so very, very… oh f**k it.

Lets be real, the smokers today are the hard-core hold-outs.  They are the right-wing smokers blaming this issue on leftist politics and using that as a childish excuse to ignore it.  I’ve got family doing that right now. 

This issue won’t really be solved until every non-smoker unites behind the medical professionals and supports Quitting in the homes, everyone with a loved one must make an issue of it.  Do not pester the smoker daily, just demand some honest and valid answers from them when you ask questions, accept no deflection, accept no silence, accept no ignorance, and be honest.

I promise to be honest and non-pestering with my smoker.  Who else is with me?

I’ve already gotten her to admit that she’s an addict.  grin  Boy oh boy is she hard on the rock ‘n’ roll drug addicts of the 1960’s, I gently point out her hypocrisy, just to go easy on the rock ‘n’ rollers.

[ Edited: 22 June 2011 06:13 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 22 June 2011 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29
traveler - 22 June 2011 02:45 PM

Would you stop driving, traveler, if your car came with THIS picture?

When I get a pack of cigarettes with the teeth, I ask for another one.

[ Edited: 22 June 2011 06:31 PM by George ]

Posted: 22 June 2011 06:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-12
jump_in_the_pit - 22 June 2011 06:11 PM

Lets be real, the smokers today are the hard-core hold-outs.  They are the right-wing smokers blaming this issue on leftist politics and using that as a childish excuse to ignore it.

While I’m sure there are some that fit that description, smoking in North America is most highly correlated with income and education, not politics.

[ Edited: 22 June 2011 06:32 PM by Erik Davis ]

Posted: 22 June 2011 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Anti-quitting is part of the Republican War Against Science (RWAS).  They are childishly in psychological denial of the science about tobacco.  This is a well exampled fact, I’m sure most people have heard the right-wing complaints against the “nanny state” and the lame attempt to reverse the charge that they are oppressors (oppressing the gays, the creative expressive artists, the sex workers, the irreligious, the science, the liberated women, the liberated men, ...) onto the left-wing saying that the left is oppressing smokers and banning tobacco (since when is tobacco possession illegal??)... I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s heard them do this, this political factor in the tobacco problem is very important.

I’ve even heard Republican Congressmen defending the tobacco industry as a legal and profitable product!!!!  This years after all the trials!!!

Show me the stats that dismiss those facts, please.  To solve the tobacco problem, people have to get real about it, that’s all I’m saying.  If there are there still some left-wing hold-outs, there are no left-wing political issues preventing them from quitting.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 23 June 2011 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 22 June 2011 06:18 PM
traveler - 22 June 2011 02:45 PM

Would you stop driving, traveler, if your car came with THIS picture?

When I get a pack of cigarettes with the teeth, I ask for another one.

That’s a very good question, but smoking is not something one can do safely - driving is. I have heard that seat belts just make people drive more recklessly and that if you really want to have safe drivers you should install a sharp stake on the steering wheel pointing at the chest.

Also to your question, it seems that pictures have not been enough to make people quit in Canada so I sure don’t expect it to work in the U.S. I’m also always surprised when M.D.‘s and other professionals who know the harm being done continue to puff away.

They had a non-smoker lung next to a smoker lung at the Body Human exhibit here in Buffalo a couple of years back. The evidence was clear (actually, black). The science is in.

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2011 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Erik Davis - 22 June 2011 06:26 PM
jump_in_the_pit - 22 June 2011 06:11 PM

Lets be real, the smokers today are the hard-core hold-outs.  They are the right-wing smokers blaming this issue on leftist politics and using that as a childish excuse to ignore it.

While I’m sure there are some that fit that description, smoking in North America is most highly correlated with income and education, not politics.

I agree! If anyone has a question on tobacco use, it is likely answered reliably HERE by the WHO.

I am surprised that Switzerland is one of the top (per capita) consumers (see HERE.) I wasn’t surprised that China and India are the top overall consumers.

Signature 

1 of 4