3 of 4
check out the new cigarette labels
Posted: 23 June 2011 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2010-02-20
George - 23 June 2011 10:25 AM
TeachScience - 23 June 2011 09:33 AM

At minimum, smokers have an 8X greater chance of developing LC than people who never smoked.

Yes, but that number is fairly new. It used to be twenty to thirty (!) times higher, still cited by many.

The magic of science, we’ll adjust our thinking when the known facts change!

Signature 

“The present age ... prefers the sign to the thing signified, the copy to the original, fancy to reality, the appearance to the essence ... for in these days illusion only is sacred, truth profane.”

Feuerbach

Posted: 23 June 2011 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
traveler - 23 June 2011 10:32 AM

Man, that seems like a formality, but OK, most people find smoking to be a disgusting addiction.

Formality? How about this?: Some people find the idea of gay sex repulsive vs. Gay sex is repulsive. Get it?  smirk

Posted: 23 June 2011 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 23 June 2011 10:54 AM

Man, that seems like a formality, but OK, most people find smoking to be a disgusting addiction.

Formality? How about this?: Some people find the idea of gay sex repulsive vs. Gay sex is repulsive. Get it?  smirk

I do get that. But I presume gay persons don’t find gay sex repulsive; quite the opposite. Most smokers I have known do find smoking to be a disgusting addiction. They often congratulate each other after quitting. They say things like, “I can’t believe I used to smell like that,” or “I can’t believe I used to suck on those things.” I never heard a gay person say that.  grin

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 23 June 2011 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

27 years and I’ve known all this stuff and really I don’t believe it will phase smokers that much.  It doesn’t me, although I hope to switch over to the new e-cig eventually.  I rather like it and it has FAR FAR less chemicals in it and it doesn’t smog up the house much.  My 22 year old son prefers me smoking that then actual cigs too.  He can breathe better for it.  It also doesn’t stink up my hair and clothes too.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 23 June 2011 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  2717
Joined  2011-04-24
traveler - 23 June 2011 11:52 AM

I do get that. But I presume gay persons don’t find gay sex repulsive; quite the opposite. Most smokers I have known do find smoking to be a disgusting addiction. They often congratulate each other after quitting. They say things like, “I can’t believe I used to smell like that,” or “I can’t believe I used to suck on those things.” I never heard a gay person say that.  grin

LOL That’s hilarious-what about gay people who went to straight camp to be converted,they might say that!

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 23 June 2011 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Mriana - 23 June 2011 01:43 PM

27 years and I’ve known all this stuff and really I don’t believe it will phase smokers that much.  It doesn’t me, although I hope to switch over to the new e-cig eventually.  I rather like it and it has FAR FAR less chemicals in it and it doesn’t smog up the house much.  My 22 year old son prefers me smoking that then actual cigs too.  He can breathe better for it.  It also doesn’t stink up my hair and clothes too.

You should stop altogether,those E-cigs will probably make you want the real thing even more.

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2011 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

Not really.  I’ve tried it before and I did just fine.  It’s the nicotine and menthol I want most of all and it satisfied me.  I don’t see why I should give it up altogether if I can get satisfaction out of the e-cigs and it doesn’t cause me to want the real thing even more.  I was fine until I ran out of juice and all.  The problem is, the real thing is more easily accessible then the e-cigs.  There is no reason to give up vaping if it satisfies someone.  Nicotine, or even the menthol, isn’t the cancer causing ingredient.  It is all the other crap that is added to the real cigs.

The other thing with e-cigs is you have a choice of nicotine levels, so that if one wishes to do so, they can slowly wean themselves off of nicotine too.  However, to say, “You should…” really ticks off many of us BIG time.  Not going to happen if one tells us what to do, esp when there is an alternative that doesn’t cause us to desire the truly bad more.  That’s BS to even think that.

[ Edited: 23 June 2011 04:10 PM by Mriana ]
 Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 23 June 2011 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2007-10-05

I think I’m going to go sit on the back porch, smoke a cigar, sip some Bourbon and read Life, the Universe and Everything on my iPod Touch. No cancer causing additves in the cigars, and I don’t inhale. cool smile

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 23 June 2011 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17

Well, it’s not surprising that you crave those, aren’t the nicotine and menthol the addictive chemicals?

I never tell smokers to stop. As a former smoker I know how much a waste of time it is. smile (Not to mention, my father has smoked since before I was born, and I’ve never been able to change his mind.)

I do find it amusing to ‘listen’ to smokers justify their habit.  grin

The only thing I smoke now is meat.

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 23 June 2011 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
harry canyon - 23 June 2011 04:32 PM

Take care,

Derek

Mmmmm…

Dead pig slow cooked using mesquite. I did that last night. Great stuff.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 23 June 2011 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  782
Joined  2009-07-17
DarronS - 23 June 2011 04:34 PM
harry canyon - 23 June 2011 04:32 PM

Take care,

Derek

Mmmmm…

Dead pig slow cooked using mesquite. I did that last night. Great stuff.

I like mesquite for grilling but not smoking. What cut of pork did you cook? BTW: I thought you were in Texas. I didn’t think you were ‘allowed’ to cook pork there.  tongue wink

I’ve become quite enamored with applewood myself. Cherry is nice as well. Hickory too, but in moderation. I really over did the smoke (hickory) on some baby backs several years ago. I apologized profusely to my guests who kept saying: “Oh, it’s fine!” No it wasn’t, but thanks for choking it down anyway. red face

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 23 June 2011 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Mriana - 23 June 2011 04:06 PM

Not really.  I’ve tried it before and I did just fine.  It’s the nicotine and menthol I want most of all and it satisfied me.  I don’t see why I should give it up altogether if I can get satisfaction out of the e-cigs and it doesn’t cause me to want the real thing even more.  I was fine until I ran out of juice and all.  The problem is, the real thing is more easily accessible then the e-cigs.  There is no reason to give up vaping if it satisfies someone.  Nicotine, or even the menthol, isn’t the cancer causing ingredient.  It is all the other crap that is added to the real cigs.

The other thing with e-cigs is you have a choice of nicotine levels, so that if one wishes to do so, they can slowly wean themselves off of nicotine too.  However, to say, “You should…” really ticks off many of us BIG time.  Not going to happen if one tells us what to do, esp when there is an alternative that doesn’t cause us to desire the truly bad more.  That’s BS to even think that.

You are definitly an addict with that response,I sense your hate;Nicotine is not harmless,it causes damage to blood vessels even if it might not cause cancer.I ain’t a health crusader,I smoked until 3 years ago and loved every second!I would feel like you do.

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2011 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
mid atlantic - 23 June 2011 03:45 PM

LOL That’s hilarious-what about gay people who went to straight camp to be converted,they might say that!

True, but they don’t mean it. Ex-smokers truly are glad they are no longer addicted. Besides, the straight camp converts are lying to themselves. Smoking is a choice (in the beginning) but being gay is not (don’t want thread drift…)

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 23 June 2011 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
harry canyon - 23 June 2011 04:45 PM

I like mesquite for grilling but not smoking. What cut of pork did you cook? BTW: I thought you were in Texas. I didn’t think you were ‘allowed’ to cook pork there.  tongue wink

No allowed to cook pork in Texas? Hell, it’s the second most popular dish at every BBQ joint in the state, right behind brisket.

I used my small grill to smoke some pork loin. Took two hours to cook. I like to finish it with a raspberry/chipotle glaze.

Signature 

Posted: 23 June 2011 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
traveler - 23 June 2011 04:47 PM
mid atlantic - 23 June 2011 03:45 PM

True, but they don’t mean it. Ex-smokers truly are glad they are no longer addicted. Besides, the straight camp converts are lying to themselves. Smoking is a choice (in the beginning) but being gay is not (don’t want thread drift…)

I know ,I was just trying to be slick. wink

Signature 

3 of 4