4 of 4
check out the new cigarette labels
Posted: 23 June 2011 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
DarronS - 23 June 2011 04:50 PM
harry canyon - 23 June 2011 04:45 PM

I like mesquite for grilling but not smoking. What cut of pork did you cook? BTW: I thought you were in Texas. I didn’t think you were ‘allowed’ to cook pork there.  tongue wink

No allowed to cook pork in Texas? Hell, it’s the second most popular dish at every BBQ joint in the state, right behind brisket.

I used my small grill to smoke some pork loin. Took two hours to cook. I like to finish it with a raspberry/chipotle glaze.

What? You mean the stereotypes on the barbecue shows might not be accurate?! Sorry, just trying to tease you a bit. (Apparently the joke’s on me though.  cheese )

That sounds quite tasty! Do you make the glaze? Have a favorite store bought? A modified store bought? With that lean of a cut do you find any issues with it drying out over the cooking time?

Back on topic, ‘they’ve’ used graphic photos for a while now to attempt to scare people into different choices for various things. I think it’s a waste of time.

Take care,

Derek

[ Edited: 23 June 2011 04:58 PM by harry canyon ]
 Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 23 June 2011 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  4615
Joined  2007-10-05

Check out Fischer & Weiser for glazes. Expensive, but worth it, and they mail order.

I have no problem with the pork loin drying out. I never, ever, put any meat directly over the heat. My grill may be small, but I still put the wood on one side and the meat on the other. Wood on the air intake side, meat on the chimney side.

If you believe those television BBQ shows you’ll end up thinking the country’s best BBQ is in Kansas City and it is possible to find good BBQ in South Carolina. Both are urban legends. LOL

Edit: corrected “county’s” to “country’s”

[ Edited: 23 June 2011 05:10 PM by DarronS ]
 Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 23 June 2011 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Joined  2009-07-17

Thanks! I’ll check out the glazes.

DarronS - 23 June 2011 05:01 PM

If you believe those television BBQ shows you’ll end up thinking the county’s best BBQ is in Kansas City and it is possible to find good BBQ in South Carolina. Both are urban legends. LOL

LOL! (Almost spit soda on my monitor.)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 23 June 2011 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  7503
Joined  2007-03-02
harry canyon - 23 June 2011 04:32 PM

Well, it’s not surprising that you crave those, aren’t the nicotine and menthol the addictive chemicals?

Yes or at least the nicotine is.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 23 June 2011 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Total Posts:  3789
Joined  2010-08-15
jump_in_the_pit - 22 June 2011 08:13 PM

I’ve even heard Republican Congressmen defending the tobacco industry as a legal and profitable product!!!!  This years after all the trials!!!

Show me the stats that dismiss those facts, please.

Oh yea schmarty-pants
http://biz.yahoo.com/ic/profile/tobaco_1203.html
http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/07/22/us-tobacco-idUSTRE66L2PR20100722

sorry the devil made me do it . . .  cool smirk

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 23 June 2011 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
traveler - 23 June 2011 05:35 AM

That’s a very good question, but smoking is not something one can do safely - driving is.I have heard that seat belts just make people drive more recklessly and that if you really want to have safe drivers you should install a sharp stake on the steering wheel pointing at the chest.

Wow and I’m just up to post #14, this is going to be a fun thread.

You know traveler, I’d never heard of that safety device, but I bet it would work. 
I know a vivid imagination with close calls and when I see spooky skid marks and such has always done me more good than harm.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

traveler - 23 June 2011 07:22 AM

Sounds like a smoker defending an obviously disgusting addiction.

perhaps just another libertarian. . .  we don’t need no stinking laws!  angry
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I like mesquite for grilling but not smoking. What cut of pork did you cook? BTW: I thought you were in Texas. I didn’t think you were ‘allowed’ to cook pork there.  tongue wink

No allowed to cook pork in Texas? Hell, it’s the second most popular dish at every BBQ joint in the state, right behind brisket.

I used my small grill to smoke some pork loin. Took two hours to cook. I like to finish it with a raspberry/chipotle glaze.

And then a relaxed cigar and Bourbon… ahhh

[ Edited: 23 June 2011 09:06 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
citizenschallenge.pm - 23 June 2011 08:48 PM

And then a relaxed cigar and Bourbon… ahhh

I’ll try the Bourbon (cigars aren’t my thing). I do like a nice 18+ year old single malt Scotch, though. Can’t afford it, but I like it!  tongue laugh

I still think in the next decade marijuana will become legal (and taxed like mad). At least here in California. smile Then I might smoke something other than meats…

I wonder if the snack food companies support legalizing marijuana? Just think of the profits for Doritos and others. Although if it became known to the public at large it could hurt sales as they are boycotted by those opposing the legalization.

Take care,

Derek

[ Edited: 24 June 2011 11:48 AM by harry canyon ]
 Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  9280
Joined  2006-08-29
harry canyon - 24 June 2011 11:46 AM

I wonder if the snack food companies support legalizing marijuana? Just think of the profits for Doritos and others.

What does Doritos have to do with pot?

Posted: 24 June 2011 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
George - 24 June 2011 11:51 AM
harry canyon - 24 June 2011 11:46 AM

I wonder if the snack food companies support legalizing marijuana? Just think of the profits for Doritos and others.

What does Doritos have to do with pot?

‘Cures’ the munchies. wink

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Total Posts:  9280
Joined  2006-08-29

Ha, I didn’t know marijuana makes one hungry. Interesting.

Posted: 24 June 2011 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Joined  2009-07-17
George - 24 June 2011 11:59 AM

Indeed, but I’ve never wondered why up until now…

So does anyone know why? I found this but ‘votes’ on correct answers are doobie-ous*.

* Incorrect spelling is intentional. smile

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
harry canyon - 24 June 2011 12:16 PM

So does anyone know why? I found this but ‘votes’ on correct answers are doobie-ous*.

* Incorrect spelling is intentional. smile

Take care,

Derek

Well, then talk about irony! LINK

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 24 June 2011 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
harry canyon - 24 June 2011 12:16 PM

Doobie-ous indeed, and apparently out of date.
Here’s the Straight Dope:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2451/how-does-marijuana-cause-the-munchies

Last time the subject of the munchies came up, in 1977—I’ve been writing this column longer than a lot of you sumbitches have been alive—all I could tell you was that scientists had ruled out dope-induced fluctuations in blood sugar as a cause. Since then, I’m pleased to inform you, great strides have been made. As it turns out, far from being a mere curiosity, the munchies provide a clue to the workings of one of the body’s primary methods of hunger regulation, the endogenous cannabinoid system.

Your body, it seems, contains specialized proteins called cannabinoid receptors. (Broadly speaking, receptors react to certain stimuli and produce certain results.) The best-known cannabinoid is delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, the principal psychoactive ingredient of weed (aka cannabis). Far more important from the body’s standpoint, however, are the endogenous (i.e., internally synthesized) cannabinoids, endocannabinoids for short, which work like neurotransmitters and are produced as part of the built-in apparatus by which peripheral parts of the body inform the brain that it’s lunchtime. Endocannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors are abundant in the hypothalamus, the region of the brain that plays a pivotal role in appetite regulation. In 1992 researchers identified the first endocannabinoid and named it anandamide, from the Sanskrit ananda, meaning inner bliss. In other words, when you smoke dope, you’re replicating (albeit with much greater intensity) an effect the body produces naturally for itself.

Hunger regulation isn’t the only thing endocannabinoids do for the body. Though their action is still imperfectly understood, a 1998 research paper suggests that they help you “feel less pain, control your movement, relax, eat, forget, sleep and protect” yourself against stress. In fact, some scientists think they’re an important part of the body’s general stress-recovery system.

The significant role of cannabinoids in body chemistry has created great excitement about the therapeutic use of THC and related compounds.

Doctor Wenk has a short updated version:
The Munchies, Marijuana and Happiness
The munchies may be the key to understanding depression.
Published on July 28, 2010 by Professor Gary L. Wenk, Ph. D. in Your Brain on Food

[ Edited: 24 June 2011 08:51 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20
citizenschallenge.pm - 23 June 2011 08:39 PM
jump_in_the_pit - 22 June 2011 08:13 PM

Show me the stats that dismiss those facts, please.

Oh yea schmarty-pants  

I asked for it, I meant it.  smile  I asked for it, and you gives it.  Hummmmm

Now how ‘bout a lovely red-headed woman, with green eyes, smart enough to do chemistry, kind enough to say hello with glee, and spirited enough to love roller coasters?

[ Edited: 25 June 2011 04:51 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

4 of 4