2 of 2
Thread from conservative forum discussing vaccination.
Posted: 20 July 2011 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2008-08-01

If I contract polo, will it make me want to ride around on a horse and hit balls with a mallet?

Posted: 20 July 2011 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

I think it turns you into a horse with mallets for legs.  I could be wrong.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 25 July 2011 06:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2009-10-17
bouf - 22 June 2011 08:54 PM

Now we can all sit here and spot logical fallacies, but the truth is, that more than 1/2 of the people who voted in the poll at the top of this facebook thread said they would not vaccinate their kids.

In a group like this, how to I reach out to these people, to try to help them begin to change their mind?

Are “these people” the part of the population that believes that science classes should include creationism, or that most science is “evil”, that Global Warming and any threats to the environment are all “hoaxes”, that homosexuality should be criminalized, that the existence transgender individuals is a myth, that the United States should be a “Christian Nation” where the laws are to protect Christians only, contraception should be illegal, and other types of dangerous nonsense?  If that is so, then maybe you should not intervene when some of the nonsense they espouse may bring about their own extinction.

Okay, maybe that bit of sick dark humor is more sick and dark than humorous for many.  Seriously, their children should not have to pay for their stupidity.

Signature 

I Don’t Want My Country Back, I Want My Country Forward

Posted: 26 July 2011 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11
Tradition Of Progress - 25 July 2011 06:03 PM

Now we can all sit here and spot logical fallacies, but the truth is, that more than 1/2 of the people who voted in the poll at the top of this facebook thread said they would not vaccinate their kids.

In a group like this, how to I reach out to these people, to try to help them begin to change their mind?

Are “these people” the part of the population that believes that science classes should include creationism, or that most science is “evil”, that Global Warming and any threats to the environment are all “hoaxes”, that homosexuality should be criminalized, that the existence transgender individuals is a myth, that the United States should be a “Christian Nation” where the laws are to protect Christians only, contraception should be illegal, and other types of dangerous nonsense?  If that is so, then maybe you should not intervene when some of the nonsense they espouse may bring about their own extinction.

Okay, maybe that bit of sick dark humor is more sick and dark than humorous for many.  Seriously, their children should not have to pay for their stupidity.

You’d be surprised to see the number of people who are otherwise rational (and yes, even atheists) refusing to vaccinate their children. Most of these are upper middle class well educated people. They also often believe in homeopathy, acupuncture and chiropractors for their children. The poor and lower middle class tend to vaccinate, unless they don’t have the insurance. And the poor will go to free clinics for vaccination if they are available. At work, it is always the educated upper-middle class we have the most trouble convincing to vaccinate. In my unit some of our nurses’ children are not fully vaccinated either…

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 July 2011 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
bouf - 24 June 2011 12:15 PM

I’d love constructive criticism for my posts. It looks like this thread is shut down, but for the future…

As a pro-vaccine RN who has cared for many unvaccinated or incompletely vaccinated infants and children in the ICU (some died) with ‘childhood’ diseases, I say, good job!!
One devastating childhood disease, Haemophilus Influenzae (H. flu) Type B (Hib), used to be more common, and one of our bread and butter diseases (we always had a few on the unit), became non-existent after the introduction of the vaccine. This disease of infants and children kills or causes severe brain damage.  It has not been seen in 20 years. There have been outbreaks in the last couple of years due to refusal to vaccinate.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 28 July 2011 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4056
Joined  2010-08-15

Tough question when polls show that something like half our citizens believe in Biblical Creationism and End-Days crap.

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 28 July 2011 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  6012
Joined  2009-02-26

Does the hippocratic oath include a requirement for a doctor to “save” a life, in addition to “do no harm”?

The reason I ask is that there are religious sects which forbid medical interference. Can a Dr. say, “ok, if you or your loved ones want to die of natural causes be my guest, I’m outta here”.

[ Edited: 28 July 2011 10:06 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 29 July 2011 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Write4U - 28 July 2011 10:03 PM

Does the hippocratic oath include a requirement for a doctor to “save” a life, in addition to “do no harm”?

The reason I ask is that there are religious sects which forbid medical interference. Can a Dr. say, “ok, if you or your loved ones want to die of natural causes be my guest, I’m outta here”.

The Hippocratic Oath holds no legal or ethical weight for a doctor. The doctor is bound by the limits of his medical license and the laws of the state where s/he practices. I doubt the Hippocratic Oath is anything more than an anachronism to the modern doctor. I also doubt it is recited or taught at any point in their training.

I SWEAR by Apollo the physician, AEsculapius, and Health, and All-heal, and all the gods and goddesses, that, according to my ability and judgement, I will keep this Oath and this stipulation.

TO RECHON him who taught me this Art equally dear to me as my parents, to share my substance with him, and relieve his necessities if required; to look up his offspring in the same footing as my own brothers, and to teach them this art, if they shall wish to learn it, without fee or stipulation; and that by precept, lecture, and every other mode of instruction, I will impart a knowledge of the Art to my own sons, and those of my teachers, and to disciples bound by a stipulation and oath according the law of medicine, but to none others.

I WILL FOLLOW that system of regimen which, according to my ability and judgment, I consider for the benefit of my patients, and abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous. I will give no deadly medicine to any one if asked, nor suggest any such counsel; and in like manner I will not give a woman a pessary to produce abortion.

WITH PURITY AND WITH HOLINESS I will pass my life and practice my Art. I will not cut persons laboring under the stone, but will leave this to be done by men who are practitioners of this work. Into whatever houses I enter, I will go into them for the benefit of the sick, and will abstain from every voluntary act of mischief and corruption; and, further from the seduction of females or males, of freemen and slaves.

WHATEVER, IN CONNECTION with my professional practice or not, in connection with it, I see or hear, in the life of men, which ought not to be spoken of abroad, I will not divulge, as reckoning that all such should be kept secret.

WHILE I CONTINUE to keep this Oath unviolated, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and the practice of the art, respected by all men, in all times! But should I trespass and violate this Oath, may the reverse be my lot!

Signature 

Posted: 29 July 2011 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  6012
Joined  2009-02-26

Wow,

I did not realize how old that oath actually was…... red face

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 29 July 2011 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2008-04-11
Write4U - 29 July 2011 01:48 PM

Wow,

I did not realize how old that oath actually was…... red face

You are not alone! The media doesn’t help either! tongue wink

Signature 

Posted: 02 August 2011 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Does Paul Offit’s interview help at all?

Point of Inquiry: Paul Offit

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

2 of 2