1 of 3
anyone know of a nice natural remedy for Hay Fever?
Posted: 23 June 2011 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

Oh the pollen has been especially bad this year.
I’m holding out best I can and continue to avoid Benadryl like the plague,  but it’s been rough out there.

So besides outrageous sneezing fits and lots of cold water anyone got any good home remedies?

Not a cure… just some relief…

red face

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 24 June 2011 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1423
Joined  2010-04-22

Go do some hard exercise. Allergies are an immune response gone wrong, and vigorous exercise can dampen that a bit.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 24 June 2011 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

I don’t suffer from allergies myself, but IIRC there are some very good, non-drowsy remedies that actually work. (Though they’re not ‘natural’ in the sense you mean). Why avoid them?

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 24 June 2011 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

I suffered for years with allergies (hay fever). My life changed when my primary care physician recommended I see an allergist. They pricked my arms and back with all kinds of stuff and I had welts (no pain) all over me. I started getting shots containing the contagions to which I overreact. I no longer have allergies. Science works.  tongue rolleye

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 24 June 2011 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
TromboneAndrew - 24 June 2011 02:13 AM

Go do some hard exercise. Allergies are an immune response gone wrong, and vigorous exercise can dampen that a bit.

Or it could bring on an episode of asthma and kill you.  cheese

Never get medical advice from forums…

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2011-06-12

Why does it have to be natural?  Natural doesn’t make it safer or more effective…in fact, it usually means less on both counts, since there are no standards in place. 

After all, the pollen you’re allergic to is all natural…how’s that working for you?

There are a bunch of 2nd generation allergy meds that work much better than the ones available when I was a kid, and are non-drowsy.  Claritan, Aerius, Reactin, etc.  If you don’t want to take them because they’re not natural, then I’m afraid you’re likely to suffer.

Posted: 24 June 2011 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

If you want to go “natural,” CC, take some, I dunno, cow manure. Supposedly, the reason why so many people suffer from allergies these days is because we are “too healthy.” Our food is very clean, we take showers every day, and our immune system becomes bored and starts to attack the body. So, as I already said, roll in cow manure twice daily for about five minutes…or just take the bloody Reactin. Actually, Aerius works the best for me.

Posted: 24 June 2011 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 24 June 2011 06:42 AM

If you want to go “natural,” CC, take some, I dunno, cow manure. Supposedly, the reason why so many people suffer from allergies these days is because we are “too healthy.” Our food is very clean, we take showers every day, and our immune system becomes bored and starts to attack the body. So, as I already said, roll in cow manure twice daily for about five minutes…or just take the bloody Reactin. Actually, Aerius works the best for me.

Most people would find that disgusting, but I don’t want to pretend it’s a moral realism.  tongue wink

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Or you can smoke the cow manure instead, traveler. Negative + negative = positive.  cheese

Posted: 24 June 2011 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

Actually, negative *times* a negative equals a positive. (A sum just becomes more negative.) I know you know that. Just because you smoke doesn’t mean I don’t think you’re smart - I do.  wink

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
traveler - 24 June 2011 07:44 AM

Actually, negative *times* a negative equals a positive.

Sweet Zeus, what have I done? red face

Posted: 24 June 2011 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
George - 24 June 2011 07:47 AM
traveler - 24 June 2011 07:44 AM

Actually, negative *times* a negative equals a positive.

Sweet Zeus, what have I done? red face

Yea, now I’m all confused, eat it, smoke it or shove it up an orifice, or spin it round and round until a negative morphs into a positive.
~ ~ ~

As for using “natural” I knew that would get a rise out of some of you   tongue wink

Exercise, well considering I spent the day climbing around a steep roof, I was getting my exercise, though I have become mighty lazy lately.
~ ~ ~

As for my aversion to medications… it has been a life long thing. 
I remember as a young child I and my siblings were at our grandpa’s house and he came home with a bottle of pills from the doctor, it was a big deal since he was always healthy and had never had a prescription before.  Then over the next many years every time we visited, seemed like there were more prescriptions on the table as he got sicker and sicker.  As a kid it weirded me out - and given that I was blessed with excellent genes and health, I figured my body should be left alone to deal it.  I know I know this is quite one dimensional - but it is sort of a baseline for me.  I will take medications (and my kids got all their vaccinations) but my need, needs to pass a few hurdles first. 

As for the hay fever meds, I’m leery about some of the things I’ve heard, addictive qualities, messing with the body’s own defenses and I figure the more I keep my own body dealing with it the better off I am in the long run.  Also, this way when I do take them, small doses go a long way.  Now I’ll admit I haven’t done any serious looking into the new stuff out there, so yes my knowledge base is a bit sketchy.

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

If you have allergies, see an allergist. BTW, the shots simply convince my immune system to accept things. Without the shots, my body reacts to the air around me by making me want to scratch my eyeballs out. It’s about as natural a solution as I can imagine.  gulp

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Do you have to get one every year, traveler? When do you get it? In the spring? (Maybe I should look into it. What’s the point of taking a pill every day, if one shot will take care of it, right?)

Posted: 24 June 2011 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
traveler - 24 June 2011 10:10 AM

If you have allergies, see an allergist. BTW, the shots simply convince my immune system to accept things. Without the shots, my body reacts to the air around me by making me want to scratch my eyeballs out. It’s about as natural a solution as I can imagine.  gulp

See the thing is I don’t see this as an allergy problem per se.
It’s springtime, every morning my truck is covered with a new sheen of pollen {the pine go through their own cycle where every seven years or something like that, it’s specially bad.  This is one of those years around here.  Heck, back a while ago breezes would waft these silky ribbons of pollen through the air.  It was actually quite artzy.} So it seems to me it’s just one of those things.  The sneezing and watery eyes are just protection mechanisms for my body and so long as I can cope with that it’s cool.*

And then this too shall pass   wink

I started this post in a moment of duress… I’m better now   smile

~ ~ ~

* Ah, thank you… 
Yea, that’s got something to do with it too.
I guess I’m thinking my body is rejecting all this pollen stuff for a reason.  If I take drugs nonstop to suppress all those uncomfortable symptoms, am I just pushing the problem off to other systems, plus forcing my body to deal with all these drugs I’m dumping into it in addition to dealing with the pollen my body was trying to reject in the first place?

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 24 June 2011 10:45 AM

Do you have to get one every year, traveler? When do you get it? In the spring? (Maybe I should look into it. What’s the point of taking a pill every day, if one shot will take care of it, right?)

Oh, how I wish! No, I get a shot (actually two) once a month. Dust/mold in one arm and pollens/grasses in the other. The “juice” is made custom to the results of my allergic reactions. These aren’t the kinds of shots that hurt - they are a small amount of allergen through a very small needle.

Please understand, I could not function because my allergies were so bad! My eyes became beet red, I sneezed a lot, and as a result I was often exhausted. The oral medications DID NOT WORK, neither did the inhaled steroids. For me, the shots have changed my life. I have ABSOLUTELY NO symptoms now. It’s a blessing from the science gods. BTW, there are always many patients with me in the office awaiting their shots. I have a LOT of company. If a capsule would have worked for me, that would have been great, but the meds did very little for the severity of my allergies.

This year in Buffalo has been record rain resulting in a tough allergy season. I haven’t even noticed. Ahhhhhhhh. (There’s no smiley for Ahhhhh)

Signature 

1 of 3