2 of 3
anyone know of a nice natural remedy for Hay Fever?
Posted: 24 June 2011 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
citizenschallenge.pm - 24 June 2011 10:50 AM

I guess I’m thinking my body is rejecting all this pollen stuff for a reason.  If I take drugs nonstop to suppress all those uncomfortable symptoms, am I just pushing the problem off to other systems, plus forcing my body to deal with all these drugs I’m dumping into it in addition to dealing with the pollen my body was trying to reject in the first place?

There is a normal range in which this is true, but in people with severe allergies need help (yours don’t seem very severe). This isn’t like a peanut allergy where you can avoid peanuts. You would have to live in a bubble to avoid pollen. Fortunately, science has a solution for me. Literally, a solution…  tongue wink

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 24 June 2011 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
traveler - 24 June 2011 10:56 AM

Oh, how I wish! No, I get a shot (actually two) once a month.

gulp

Okay, I think I’ll stick to the pills then. The one thing that worries me though, is that the pills seem to be less and less effective every year. I usually take a 24-hour one in the morning and by 3:00 a.m. the effect of the pill seems to be gone. That, plus my insomnia, not fun.

Posted: 24 June 2011 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 24 June 2011 11:21 AM
traveler - 24 June 2011 10:56 AM

Oh, how I wish! No, I get a shot (actually two) once a month.

gulp

Okay, I think I’ll stick to the pills then. The one thing that worries me though, is that the pills seem to be less and less effective every year. I usually take a 24-hour one in the morning and by 3:00 a.m. the effect of the pill seems to be gone. That, plus my insomnia, not fun.

Laying down can make the symptoms worse as things move around in the sinus cavities. Some people have had luck with neti pots or the easier to use rinses like THIS (with video)

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Hmm, I really don’t like spraying stuff into my nose…

Posted: 24 June 2011 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 24 June 2011 12:02 PM

Hmm, I really don’t like spraying stuff into my nose…

LOL

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Why is that funny?  mad

Posted: 24 June 2011 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 24 June 2011 12:38 PM

Why is that funny?  mad

Because I don’t think anyone “likes” it. I mean, it is kinda gross to some people but it does work for many (and it is just a simple saline solution).

And because it just hit my funny-bone when I read it.  tongue laugh

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Oh, I thought that maybe I said something funny without being aware of it. Kind of like Mr. Data.

Posted: 24 June 2011 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  6169
Joined  2009-02-26

Fortunately, I don’t have allergies , though I sneeze when any cloud of stuff (dust) enters my nose.
How about wearing a cheap surgical mask on days when the problem is bad. If your eyes are affected a pair of sealing (skirted)glasses?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 24 June 2011 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Write4U - 24 June 2011 02:32 PM

Fortunately, I don’t have allergies , though I sneeze when any cloud of stuff (dust) enters my nose.
How about wearing a cheap surgical mask on days when the problem is bad. If your eyes are affected a pair of sealing (skirted)glasses?

Days aren’t bad; seasons are bad. That’s a lot of stylin’ in goggles and masks.

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
traveler - 24 June 2011 02:46 PM

Now there is an idea worth developing. Fashionable color coordinated allergy masks. That might even be acceptable to fundi muslims… cheese

sorry, I realize it is not a pleasant situation for the sufferer.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 24 June 2011 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Write4U - 24 June 2011 03:13 PM
traveler - 24 June 2011 02:46 PM

Now there is an idea worth developing. Fashionable color coordinated allergy masks. That might even be acceptable to fundi muslims… cheese

sorry, I realize it is not a pleasant situation for the sufferer.

Don’t be sorry. I have very little trouble laughing at myself and my ills.  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 24 June 2011 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  4403
Joined  2010-08-15
traveler - 24 June 2011 11:01 AM

I guess I’m thinking my body is rejecting all this pollen stuff for a reason.  If I take drugs nonstop to suppress all those uncomfortable symptoms, am I just pushing the problem off to other systems, plus forcing my body to deal with all these drugs I’m dumping into it in addition to dealing with the pollen my body was trying to reject in the first place?

There is a normal range in which this is true, but in people with severe allergies need help (yours don’t seem very severe). This isn’t like a peanut allergy where you can avoid peanuts. You would have to live in a bubble to avoid pollen. Fortunately, science has a solution for me. Literally, a solution…  tongue wink

Boy, I guess.  Reading your previous post made me admit I’d be down at the doctors also, if my reactions were that radical.
As it is, it get’s irritating for sure, but never physically overwhelming.
And George made one of my main points against reaching for the meds.  I haven’t build up a tolerance so I know when I really need them they are going to be effective.

The one thing that worries me though, is that the pills seem to be less and less effective every year. I usually take a 24-hour one in the morning and by 3:00 a.m. the effect of the pill seems to be gone. That, plus my insomnia, not fun.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 24 June 2011 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
citizenschallenge.pm - 24 June 2011 09:30 PM
traveler - 24 June 2011 11:01 AM

Boy, I guess.  Reading your previous post made me admit I’d be down at the doctors also, if my reactions were that radical.
As it is, it get’s irritating for sure, but never physically overwhelming.
And George made one of my main points against reaching for the meds.  I haven’t build up a tolerance so I know when I really need them they are going to be effective.

The one thing that worries me though, is that the pills seem to be less and less effective every year. I usually take a 24-hour one in the morning and by 3:00 a.m. the effect of the pill seems to be gone. That, plus my insomnia, not fun.

Sometimes one does not acquire resistance or immunity, on the contrary one may well have an accumulative effect, as in bee stings, or fish allergies, which may become more dangerous with repeated exposure.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 25 June 2011 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  1424
Joined  2010-04-22
citizenschallenge.pm - 24 June 2011 08:23 AM

Exercise, well considering I spent the day climbing around a steep roof, I was getting my exercise, though I have become mighty lazy lately.

Granted, this will be a small effect. Once upon a time when I lived in Michigan, I got into doing some pretty rigorous long distance running, on the order of 30-50 miles per week. That kind of exercise, where I got my heart rate up for an extended period of time, did seem to dampen what allergies I had at the time somewhat. It’s not a cure, but it did help, and without the drowsiness or dehydration that a lot of the traditional allery meds cause. And there is some medical data to back it up - the stuff about how that kind of exercise temporary weaken the immune system in some ways, and strengthens it in others long term.

Conversely, you can move to a desert for a couple of years.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

2 of 3