3 of 3
Spiritual Humanism
Posted: 30 May 2014 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  483
Joined  2014-03-12

It’s a step further from traditional religion to a more secular relationship to the world. Leaving supernatural belief for rational thinking is not a single move for many people. They are moving toward a more rational approach to life, and are not trying infiltrate our government institutions. This is progress I think.

Signature 

“expectation is the mother of disappointment”

Posted: 30 May 2014 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Since this is a newly revived very old thread, I’ll repeat what I probably said a couple of years ago. 

1.  Spiritual is clearly defined in the dictionaries I’ve checked as relating to religious beliefs.

2.  Humanism is, as I define it, a focus on humanity and helping others.  It is entirely separate from theology.

One can be self-centered and uncaring about any other human and an atheist or a devout religious person.  Similarly, one can an atheist or a devout religious (spiritual) person and focused on helping others.

I am an atheist and a humanist, however, those two characteristics do not have to be connected.  One could be a Catholic and a humanist, or an atheist and focused on self-interest at the expense of all others. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

3 of 3