1 of 2
2010 - 2011: Earth’s most extreme weather since 1816?
Posted: 25 June 2011 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

Sure, sure, one extreme weather event does not global warming prove,
but a necklace full of ongoing extreme-event pearls should start forcing the reality of the climatological scientific consensus onto any person with the slightest acceptance that physical reality may extend beyond ones own limited faith-based beliefs and notions.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1831

Dr. Jeff Masters’ WunderBlog

2010 - 2011: Earth’s most extreme weather since 1816?
Posted by: JeffMasters, June 24, 2011

“... Never in my 30 years as a meteorologist have I witnessed a year like 2010—the astonishing number of weather disasters and unprecedented wild swings in Earth’s atmospheric circulation were like nothing I’ve seen. The pace of incredible extreme weather events in the U.S. over the past few months have kept me so busy that I’ve been unable to write-up a retrospective look at the weather events of 2010. But I’ve finally managed to finish, so fasten your seat belts for a tour through the top twenty most remarkable weather events of 2010.

Earth’s hottest year on record {...}
Most extreme winter Arctic atmospheric circulation on record; “Snowmageddon”{...}
Arctic sea ice: lowest volume on record, 3rd lowest extent {...}
Record melting in Greenland, and a massive calving event {...}
Second most extreme shift from El Niño to La Niña {...}
Second worst coral bleaching year {...}
Wettest year over land {...}
Amazon rainforest experiences its 2nd 100-year drought in 5 years {...}
Global tropical cyclone activity lowest on record
(The year 2010 was one of the strangest on record for tropical cyclones.) {...}
A hyperactive Atlantic hurricane season: 3rd busiest on record {...}
A rare tropical storm in the South Atlantic {...}
Strongest storm in Southwestern U.S. history {...}
Strongest non-coastal storm in U.S. history {...}
Weakest and latest-ending East Asian monsoon on record {...}
No monsoon depressions in India’s Southwest Monsoon for 2nd time in 134 years {...}
The Pakistani flood: most expensive natural disaster in Pakistan’s history {...}
The Russian heat wave and drought: deadliest heat wave in human history {...}
Record rains trigger Australia’s most expensive natural disaster in history {...}
Heaviest rains on record trigger Colombia’s worst flooding disaster in history {...}
Tennessee’s 1-in-1000 year flood kills 30, does $2.4 billion in damage {...}

Where will Earth’s climate go from here?
The pace of extreme weather events has remained remarkably high during 2011, giving rise to the question—is the “Global Weirding” of 2010 and 2011 the new normal? Has human-caused climate change destabilized the climate, bringing these extreme, unprecedented weather events? Any one of the extreme weather events of 2010 or 2011 could have occurred naturally sometime during the past 1,000 years. But it is highly improbable that the remarkable extreme weather events of 2010 and 2011 could have all happened in such a short period of time without some powerful climate-altering force at work. The best science we have right now maintains that human-caused emissions of heat-trapping gases like CO2 are the most likely cause of such a climate-altering force.

Human-caused climate change has fundamentally altered the atmosphere by adding more heat and moisture. Observations confirm that global atmospheric water vapor has increased by about 4% since 1970, which is what theory says should have happened given the observed 0.5°C (0.9°F) warming of the planet’s oceans during the same period. Shifts of this magnitude are capable of significantly affecting the path and strength of the jet stream, behavior of the planet’s monsoons, and paths of rain and snow-bearing weather systems. {...}

Finally, I’ll leave you with a quote from Dr. Ricky Rood’s climate change blog, in his recent post, Changing the Conversation: Extreme Weather and Climate: “Given that greenhouse gases are well known to hold energy close to the Earth, those who deny a human-caused impact on weather need to pose a viable mechanism of how the Earth can hold in more energy and the weather not be changed. Think about it.”

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 26 June 2011 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  28
Joined  2010-06-10

And then we have the recent floods in China and North Dakota. The flood in North Dakota broke the 1882 record by a huge margin. There may be a strong negative feedback effect that will limit global warming. The cause of global warming is the rapid growth of human civilization based on fossil fuels. But our civilization lacks strong leadership that is able to steer it clear of problems. The very fact that CO2 emissions are still increasing (it increased by 5% last year) while we should make drastic cuts, is a consequence of this.

Compare to flying a plane. The problems we’ve had considerable difficulties dealing with like the 2008 financial crisis or the current Greek debt problem don’t have any grounding in fundamental problems (The US nor Greece were hit by a disaster leading to problem). They are man made mistakes that should be compared to pilot error leading the plane to get into problem in clear weather without the plane malfunctioning in any way. It took us some considerable effort to recover control of the plane. But the problems we’ll face due to global warming should be compared to flying the plane into a thunderstorm. Theoretically we could do this safely, but given that we’re struggeling flying the plane in clear weather, it’s almost certain that the plane will crash.

Sooner or later we’ll face a problem that our current system can’t handle. E.g. bad weather in China and India may cause the harvest there to fail a few years in a row. They will then need to import rice and grain for 2.5 billion people that they normally produce themselves. They have enough financial reserves to do this and that will trigger the collapse of the World economy. Food prices will skyrocket, there will be food shortages, countries that produce enough food will close their markets to prevent everything they have vanishing to China. Theoretically one could solve this problem quite easily, but in practice we would see the world economy collapsing, leading to the end of our civilization.

So, the logic here is that the rising CO2 emissions is a symptom of bad leadership (basically the lack of a World government) but that same bad leadership will then also be unable to deal with an economic crisis brought on by global warming.

Posted: 26 June 2011 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
Count Iblis - 26 June 2011 06:23 PM

But our civilization lacks strong leadership that is able to steer it clear of problems.
The very fact that CO2 emissions are still increasing (it increased by 5% last year) while we should make drastic cuts, is a consequence of this.

On certain levels I certainly agree,
the concerted multi-million dollar anti-science echo-chamber effort, instigated by certain “leaders” do more than spread doubt,
they are intended to totally muddle the focus of what’s even important, or real, to our society’s future welfare.

That sort of thinking couldn’t have been adopted by so many had it not been strategically created and crammed down their throats…
and, it is true, our “leadership” has pathetically failed to defend science and reason in the face of this corporate/evangelical driven strategic onslaught.
~ ~ ~

But that’s also a cop out…
We The People, are just as guilty and complicit ~ in not wanting to know and refusing to be forced to deal with it.
We are active accomplices, as dramatized by the general apathy that greets all Global Warming news.  Way too many people don’t want to face the implications.  Instead going through the most amazing faith-driven intellectual contortions dedicated to Willfully Ignoring what is truly happening to this planet that has served humanity oh so well for oh so long.

Cozy in our brainwashed Hollyworld dreams of endless over consumption and upgrades. . .
this is the stuff people want to hear, not reminders of how we are ravaging our biosphere {you know, life support system},
nor how the long ignored bill/reckoning is coming due.

In general it seems like people just as soon be soothed, rather than energized and aware… {since that would compel some sort of initiative and real action?}

Instead We The People have been reduced to assuring ourselves that our kids will figure it out…

We The People are so comfortable in our current rut,
that We The People don’t want to be reminded that the world is radically altering under our feet… we rather keep kidding ourselves.
~ ~ ~

How sad… and people knew it decades back, but noo, everyone was too busy accumulating more and more
to seriously face the true nature of living on a finite planet and the dynamics that our acting/consuming this way would produce. 
President Carter came the closest in trying to bring this nation to grips with real planet facts-of-life and got crucified for his efforts. 
Then Reagan reminded everyone that Greed and Selfishness was where it was at.

Too bad all those kids who disappeared into greedy gullible adults forgot their childhood lessons.  This one seems particularly poignant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giving_Tree

Couldn’t we have done a little better?

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 27 June 2011 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

I saw Dr. Masters’ post a couple days ago, and thought of posting it here. You beat me to it, Peter.

Sadly, several times per week, one of my friends will remind me how the energy companies have succeeded in manipulating people’s thoughts. I have had earnest discussions with many of them, and the ones who have open minds have come around and faced reality. The rest continue denigrating global warming activists as hell-bent on destroying our economy and taking way our personal liberties, as if driving a gas-guzzling truck is a Constitutional right.

Which is largely why I have given up hope that we will solve this problem. The biggest reason, though, is that nothing we do to curb emissions matters unless we reduce our worldwide population to a sustainable level, and we all know that is not going to happen voluntarily.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 27 June 2011 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

What people forget, is that we do not need to change behavior to ‘save the earth’, we need to change to save the humans and the current comfy environment we live in. ‘Mother Earth’ doesn’t give a damn.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 27 June 2011 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
asanta - 27 June 2011 11:59 AM

What people forget, is that we do not need to change behavior to ‘save the earth’, we need to change to save the humans and the current comfy environment we live in. ‘Mother Earth’ doesn’t give a damn.

Yeah, life on the planet will survive until the Sun goes Red Giant. Our society, and maybe even our species, is at risk.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 27 June 2011 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  6162
Joined  2009-02-26

The parasite that kills its host (figuratively). Unfortunately there is only one host.

[ Edited: 27 June 2011 02:16 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 27 June 2011 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2425
Joined  2007-07-05

It’s the End of the World!  AHAHAHAhAhahahaaaa!

Oh sorry, they already did that in May.  LOL

OK, so God is a sadist and it is going to be a long slow painful end of the world.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 28 June 2011 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

First of a trilogy of articles relevant to this thread (from Scientific Amer.)... LINK

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 28 June 2011 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

That was an excellent article, Traveler. Thanks for the link. Some of the comments are disturbing, though. I noticed the GW deniers used emotionally charged language instead of reasoned arguments.

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2011 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 28 June 2011 05:17 PM

That was an excellent article, Traveler. Thanks for the link. Some of the comments are disturbing, though. I noticed the GW deniers used emotionally charged language instead of reasoned arguments.

That’s all they have!  tongue laugh

Signature 

Posted: 28 June 2011 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
traveler - 28 June 2011 05:41 PM

No, no, no. GW deniers also use half-truths and cherry-picked data.

I find it incredible some of them still trot out the “Earth is cooling” argument. That just ignores reality.

Signature 

Posted: 29 June 2011 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 28 June 2011 05:52 PM
traveler - 28 June 2011 05:41 PM

No, no, no. GW deniers also use half-truths and cherry-picked data.

I find it incredible some of them still trot out the “Earth is cooling” argument. That just ignores reality.

Doh! I always forget those two…  downer

Signature 

Posted: 29 June 2011 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24

If the earth is really doomed like the way James Lovelock says,what the fuck should be done?I have no idea,if the worst case scenario is true,our society will probably last for a few more generations,then it will be like ancient times.Enlightenment values will be buried under corpses,if the situation is that severe,it would be better not telling the public because all hell would break loose.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 29 June 2011 06:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
mid atlantic - 29 June 2011 12:50 AM

If the earth is really doomed like the way James Lovelock says,what the fuck should be done?I have no idea,if the worst case scenario is true,our society will probably last for a few more generations,then it will be like ancient times.Enlightenment values will be buried under corpses,if the situation is that severe,it would be better not telling the public because all hell would break loose.

Replacing the word public with the word species, I think it’s reasonable to say that when a species is what the species threatens, the species must be informed. If the species panics and that causes extinction, Darwin is right again. We. are. not. special.

Our natural dividing act into families, tribes, states, countries, religions, etc. renders us as a whole incapable of handling global problems. We need to learn how or perish. Here’s to hoping we learn how.  cheese

Signature 

Posted: 29 June 2011 06:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2007-10-05
mid atlantic - 29 June 2011 12:50 AM

...if the situation is that severe,it would be better not telling the public because all hell would break loose.

The facts belie your viewpoint. Scientists and other people have been telling the public how severe a problem we have for at least two decades, yet the public refuses to believe. Look at how the conservatives have vilified Al Gore for daring to produce and promote a movie warning us about the potential dangers of global warming. Look at the concerted PR campaign spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt about global warming and mankind’s responsibility.

All hell will break loose when people go to the grocery stores and find there is not enough food to feed everyone in the community. In fact, this is already happening. Google “food riots” and see for yourself.

Scientists and some journalists are now warning us of an impending global water shortage. We are draining our aquifers trying to feed our current population, and nothing we do can replace that fresh water. Food riots are bad, but people can live a few days without food. When we start running short of potable water things are going to get very ugly. People will deny or ignore the situation up until the time they turn on their tap and only a few drops dribble out. As with the food shortages, this will affect the poorest countries first. We are insulated here in the richest country in history, but we are culpable for these problems.

Signature 

1 of 2