2 of 2
What’cha think about Michele Bachmann becoming a Republican front runner?
Posted: 15 July 2011 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
jump_in_the_pit - 14 July 2011 08:25 PM

Michele Bachmann’s husband is a psychologist.  His clinic is doing anti-gay conversions, I hear.

Bachmann Associates Incorporated

Now who does it better than Jon???? BACHMANN FIELD OF DONGS

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 15 July 2011 06:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  4745
Joined  2007-10-05

That is classic stuff.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 15 July 2011 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  7664
Joined  2008-04-11

Michele Bachmann’s husband is a psychologist.  His clinic is doing anti-gay conversions, I hear.

They seem to be quite obsessed with it….and you know what that makes us think…???? is HE hiding something???

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 15 July 2011 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

John Steward made some good points… Who doesn’t like to munch some good corn nibbles once-in-a-while.  smile

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 16 July 2011 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-06-20

A scary prospect—she’s definitely a fundamentalist, or at least pretends to be, and she could be the nominee. I’d like to think she couldn’t win the general election, but with the way Obama has thrown progressives under the bus, they won’t support him the way the did in 2008, and it could put her in a position to win.  Then what? I shudder to think. Creationism in schools, an even more right-wing Supreme Court, more dismantling of social programs—the list of backward steps goes on and on. Tell me it can’t happen.

Posted: 16 July 2011 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4745
Joined  2007-10-05

Rad, when was the last time someone lost an election by underestimating the intelligence of American voters?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 16 July 2011 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  4048
Joined  2010-08-15
asanta - 15 July 2011 03:45 PM

They seem to be quite obsessed with it….and you know what that makes us think…???? is HE hiding something???

gulp

~ ~ ~

Bachmann Clinic: Where You Can Pray Away the Gay?

cheese  LOL  LOL

Signature 

How many times do lies need to be exposed
before we have permission to trash them?

Posted: 17 July 2011 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-20

@ DarrenS:  Good point! LOL I’m a veteran educator, and in my home state of Indiana (motto: Money for public schools? Why?), I have several colleagues—educated people, with a vested interest in education, obviously—who vote Republican.  Sheesh. One colleague, an otherwise intelligent person—and a biology teacher!—actually went to the Glenn Beck rally.  This is particularly illogical because Beck A) hates public education and public school teachers and B) hates Darwin, whose theory is the basis for the subject she teaches!  It’s discouraging, to say the least.

Posted: 17 July 2011 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2011-07-07

If Bachmann, by some mad chance of ill-fortune, becomes influential enough to attain presidency, I’m leaving the country. I’ll fare better in Canada, or with my relatives in Mexico.

Signature 

Ignorance and Reason are two sides of the same defunct coin

Posted: 17 July 2011 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-07-09

Bachmann is the candidate for those who think Sarah Palin is just too dang intelligent. Also, it is a very sad state of affairs when the most sane candidate in the group is the Morman…..........................................PEACE smile

Signature 

“LEARN, ADJUST, CONTINUE….......”

Posted: 02 August 2011 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-06-20

Yeah, Romney seems the least insane of the Repugs, but then when I consider the malarkey that Mormons are expected to believe—including the wholesale BS story of the greatest con man ever, Joseph Smith—maybe he’s as nuts as the rest.  Of course, he could be smart enough not to believe that narrative and maybe even the rest of the Morman canon while pretending to for political purposes.  Still, it will be interesting to see just how much enthusiasm he can generate among fundamentalists who find Mormonism antithetical to what they consider “real” Christianity.  Could actually be fun watching that internecine fighting! LOL

Posted: 09 August 2011 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Well alrightie folks, here’s some meat’n potatoes information regarding a closer look at who Bachmann is; what she believes; what she wants:

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/09/139084313/the-books-and-beliefs-shaping-michele-bachmann
The Books And Beliefs Shaping Michele Bachmann

Terry Gross at Fresh Air from WHYY
[29 min 12 sec]

New Yorker Washington correspondent Ryan Lizza spent four days with Bachmann and her staff aboard their campaign jet in mid-June. On Tuesday’s Fresh Air, he talks about his unprecedented access to the congresswoman, whom he profiles in the Aug. 15, 2011, edition of The New Yorker. The piece looks at the writers, beliefs and books that Bachmann has specifically mentioned as major influences in her life.
“To understand her, you have to understand the movement that she came out of,” Lizza tells Fresh Air’s Terry Gross. “Her early ideological roots were formed by opposition to abortion ... and she’s always been concerned with social issues, the culture war issues. ... She takes her Christianity very seriously. She comes out of a religious evangelical conservative movement that is very much concerned with developing a biblical worldview and applying it to all corners of one’s life.”

For a number of years, Michele Bachmann’s personal website had a list of books she recommended people read. ... I was looking over the list and noticed this biography of [Robert E.] Lee by [Steven] Wilkins. [I had] never heard of Wilkins and started looking at who he was. And frankly couldn’t believe that she was recommending this book. ... It is an objectively pro-slavery book and one of the most startling things I learned about her in this piece.

The Influence Of Francis Schaeffer And Nancy Pearcey. . .

Signature 

Posted: 09 August 2011 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

From the ending of the above interview:

Mr. LIZZA: Well, you know, I don’t want to say that everything that is written in a book that she recommends means that she believes it, right? You can’t, you don’t want to do that. What I was very careful to do is look at the thinkers that she cited as the most influential in her own life.

But there was one line from this Pearcey book that she cited as important to her…

GROSS: This is Nancy Pearcey.

Mr. LIZZA: This is Nancy Pearcey, who writes basically that believers need to be very, very careful when adopting ideas from nonbelievers. That even if once in a while - this is not an exact quote but I’m paraphrasing - even if once in a while nonbelievers get a fact wrong, it will always in some way be tainted by the non-Christian worldview it comes out of.

And I think frankly if that is what you believe, it’s very hard to absorb thinking and ideas from outside your own worldview if you believe everything else is tainted if it comes from nonbelievers.

In one respect, isn’t this what it all boils down to, the need for absolutism and certitude, in and of itself. . .

as for that religion, and all the ways people turn it into their tool,

it’s just a fractal reflecting that human need for absolutism and certitude? ... to say nothing of dominion…

just a thought

Signature 

2 of 2