Psychomotor Patterning
Posted: 29 June 2011 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2011-06-29

The main organization which endorses the claim of Psychomotor Patterning is called The Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential out of Philadelphia, PA.

A great article can be found on Quackwatch here: http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/patterning.html

So my question was with those who are familiar with it, would Psychomotor Patterning be considered a Pseudoscience? I’m new and still unfamiliar with certain definitions. Or is this Alternative Medicine?

I once knew a family which was doing this to their 15 year old child with severe, non-verbal autism. While this was some years ago, it really opened my eyes and was the first topic I sought clarity on skeptics websites for.

Anyway, I’d love to hear any other thoughts on this as all I saw was abuse, neglect and false hope. It was quite sad.

Posted: 30 June 2011 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

For the most part, alternative medicine is pseudoscience.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 30 June 2011 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-06-29
Dead Monky - 30 June 2011 11:42 AM

For the most part, alternative medicine is pseudoscience.

That’s good to know.

Posted: 30 June 2011 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

AlexM, scroll down to Steven Novella’s Bottom Line conclusion. I don’t think there is anything to add to that. As DM said, most alternative medicine is pseudoscience. In this case, I wouldn’t give it that much benefit. Psychomotor Patterning is discredited, and its practitioners are deluding people.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 30 June 2011 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-06-29
DarronS - 30 June 2011 03:47 PM

AlexM, scroll down to Steven Novella’s Bottom Line conclusion. I don’t think there is anything to add to that. As DM said, most alternative medicine is pseudoscience. In this case, I wouldn’t give it that much benefit. Psychomotor Patterning is discredited, and its practitioners are deluding people.

I loved The Bottom Line part, thank you!