Psychomotor Patterning
Posted: 29 June 2011 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2011-06-29

The main organization which endorses the claim of Psychomotor Patterning is called The Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential out of Philadelphia, PA.

A great article can be found on Quackwatch here: http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/patterning.html

So my question was with those who are familiar with it, would Psychomotor Patterning be considered a Pseudoscience? I’m new and still unfamiliar with certain definitions. Or is this Alternative Medicine?

I once knew a family which was doing this to their 15 year old child with severe, non-verbal autism. While this was some years ago, it really opened my eyes and was the first topic I sought clarity on skeptics websites for.

Anyway, I’d love to hear any other thoughts on this as all I saw was abuse, neglect and false hope. It was quite sad.

Posted: 30 June 2011 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

For the most part, alternative medicine is pseudoscience.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 30 June 2011 12:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-06-29
Dead Monky - 30 June 2011 11:42 AM

For the most part, alternative medicine is pseudoscience.

That’s good to know.

Posted: 30 June 2011 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

AlexM, scroll down to Steven Novella’s Bottom Line conclusion. I don’t think there is anything to add to that. As DM said, most alternative medicine is pseudoscience. In this case, I wouldn’t give it that much benefit. Psychomotor Patterning is discredited, and its practitioners are deluding people.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 30 June 2011 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-06-29
DarronS - 30 June 2011 03:47 PM

AlexM, scroll down to Steven Novella’s Bottom Line conclusion. I don’t think there is anything to add to that. As DM said, most alternative medicine is pseudoscience. In this case, I wouldn’t give it that much benefit. Psychomotor Patterning is discredited, and its practitioners are deluding people.

I loved The Bottom Line part, thank you!