What Does A ‘Post-American World’ Look Like? ~ Fareed Zakaria
Posted: 02 July 2011 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4360
Joined  2010-08-15

In a way I think this is almost an offshoot of Who and what creates jobs? in that it seems to me to address the greater background situation which we ego-centric Americans tend to overlook.

Fresh Air from WHYY
What Does A ‘Post-American World’ Look Like? ~ Fareed Zakaria
June 30, 2011

Thirty years ago, the United States dominated the world politically, economically and scientifically. But today?

“The tallest building in the world is now in Dubai, the biggest factory in the world is in China, the largest oil refinery is in India, the largest investment fund in the world is in Abu Dhabi, the largest Ferris wheel in the world is in Singapore,” notes Fareed Zakaria. “And ... more troublingly, [the United States is] also losing [its] key grip on indices such as patent creation, scientific creations and things like that — which are really harbingers of future economic growth.”

Zakaria, the host of CNN’s Fareed Zakaria GPS and an editor at large for Time magazine, charts the fall of America’s dominance and the simultaneous rise of the rest of the world in his book The Post-American World: Release 2.0, which shows how the collapse of communism and the Soviet empire — as well as the rise of global markets — has leveled the playing field for many other countries around the world.

“The result is you have countries all over the world thriving and taking advantage of the political stability they have achieved, the economic connections of a global market, the technological connection into this market,” he tells Fresh Air’s Terry Gross. “And we are all witnesses to this phenomenon.”

America, Zakaria says, is also starting to lag behind other countries in education, building a competitive workforce, and fostering new energy and digital infrastructure to support those workers — all markers of long-term economic growth. He says America is now heading toward what he calls a “post-American” world, in which the United States’ share of the “global pie” is much smaller — as the rest of the globe begins to catch up.

So, how are the right-wing, faith-based priorities and initiatives going to do anyone any good in the face of this brave new world?

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 02 July 2011 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

Everything is going exactly as planned…..Mwahahahahah (evil laughter!) snake

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 02 July 2011 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24

The whole thing is a joke,The U.S. has never ever been the height of living for everybody on earth,that’s a self serving myth.I’ve known quite a few people from other countries who think we are nothing special,since most of this culture comes from every where else!Countries like China and India will probably implode just because they are China and India.IMO the world has never been all American.I suppose the right wing view is just part of the attitude that everything begins and ends with them personally.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 03 July 2011 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

I read Fareed’s book several months ago. He is one of the most knowledgeable and reasonable authors with which I am familiar. His book takes care to point out that America is NOT sinking, rather others are rising. That is a very important difference. Fareed points out that our role can be one of adviser/moderator/leader to help others manage their newly found wealth. He sees great potential for America so long as we develop a political environment that will allow it (we don’t have that now). I try to watch Fareed’s GPS on CNN every Sunday. His show is one of the most rare; a show with a deep knowledge base, important guests, and probing questions that matter.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 03 July 2011 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
mid atlantic - 02 July 2011 11:57 PM

The whole thing is a joke,The U.S. has never ever been the height of living for everybody on earth,that’s a self serving myth.I’ve known quite a few people from other countries who think we are nothing special,since most of this culture comes from every where else!Countries like China and India will probably implode just because they are China and India.IMO the world has never been all American.I suppose the right wing view is just part of the attitude that everything begins and ends with them personally.

If I understand this correctly, I disagree with everything except perhaps the last two sentences. No, the world has never been all American - but most of it has wanted to be. I am no chauvinist, but I have worked in China and worked with Indian companies. They are certainly not likely to implode (especially China). The point of Fareed’s book is that the world will not continue to be “all American.”

Signature 

Posted: 03 July 2011 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2699
Joined  2011-04-24
traveler - 03 July 2011 07:29 AM
mid atlantic - 02 July 2011 11:57 PM

If I understand this correctly, I disagree with everything except perhaps the last two sentences. No, the world has never been all American - but most of it has wanted to be. I am no chauvinist, but I have worked in China and worked with Indian companies. They are certainly not likely to implode (especially China). The point of Fareed’s book is that the world will not continue to be “all American.”

The Chinese and Indians might become big studs in the world,but I’m not sure they will ever have a quality of life for the majority that is comparable to ours,those cultures are collectivist.I agree that American influence is waning in some ways,however I don’t believe that most people on earth want us the way we think they do.Our economic oppertunities are appealing to them,but probably not our society.What they see of us comes from movies and music,and obviously that’s not entirely real.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 04 July 2011 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

In the last century the standard of living of the average U.S. citizen has been near the top compared to the other countries of the world.  Our corporations produced a great amount of value using U.S. workers and exported those products to the rest of the world in exchange for money that flowed into our country. 
The goal of the corporations was to make a profit, and this worked very well.

In the last thirty years our corporations have been becoming multi-national, making products over-seas, developing markets over-seas, and in the process decreasing the demand for U.S. workers while increasing the corporate owner profits.  You can see this by a) the huge increase in CEO and similar, compensation while worker compensation has been drifting down when adjusted for inflation.  Now, we see high unemployement levels.  Unions are being destroyed.  Some politicians are even suggesting something that would be unthinkable a few years ago - eliminating the minimum wage and decreasing the minimum working age so teens and even children can work full-time. 

The quality of education has been decreasing steadily while the cost has been rising even faster.  This is leading to a less educated U.S. population.

The corporations and their owners have no loyalty to the country - they are “citizens of the world”.  The U.S. is no longer a major market, and its workers are non-competitive so I see us as becoming what is now known as a third world country in the next thirty years.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 04 July 2011 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25
traveler - 03 July 2011 07:22 AM

I try to watch Fareed’s GPS on CNN every Sunday. His show is one of the most rare; a show with a deep knowledge base, important guests, and probing questions that matter.

I’ll have to check it out.

Posted: 04 July 2011 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I know what I am about to say will sound silly, but one of the things that bother me about Zakaria is when I hear him to say “we” instead of “the U.S.” I know a lot of people do that, but it seems to be usually done by those who were vividly not born in the U.S. No idea why I am allergic to it, but I can’t help it. (Maybe it’s because saying “we” sounds a lot more emotional and unless I watch a drama or an opera I would rather have it emotions free.)

[ Edited: 05 July 2011 07:00 AM by George ]

Posted: 04 July 2011 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 04 July 2011 06:20 PM

I know what I am about to say will sound silly, but one of the things that bother me about Zakaria is when I hear him to say “we” instead of “the U.S.” I know a lot of people do that, but it seems to be usually done by those who were vividly were not born in the U.S. No idea why I am allergic to it, but I can’t help it. (Maybe it’s because saying “we” sounds a lot more emotional and unless I watch a drama or an opera I would rather have it emotions free.)

Silly maybe. Captious for sure. Few people can discuss so much with international leaders. The U.S. (and the world) can use more like him. I admire both his reason and his optimism.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2011 06:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Occam. - 04 July 2011 12:49 PM

The U.S. is no longer a major market, and its workers are non-competitive so I see us as becoming what is now known as a third world country in the next thirty years.

Occam

Wow. What definition are you using for “third world?” Our current per capita GNI is over $46,000 LINK. Third world countries generally fall between $400 and $920. LINK

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2011 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Traveler, you have to be careful with statistical information.  Your data is probably based on average income (I believe it’s really household rather than per capita).  A problem is that this includes many CEOs, hedge fund managers, and other extremely highly paid citizens.  The median would be appreciably lower, and more important, is the trend over the last, say, 25 years has been going down. 

Fortunately, I won’t be around 30 years from now, but you may remember this and look back then to see how far off each of us was. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 06 July 2011 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Occam. - 05 July 2011 05:17 PM

Traveler, you have to be careful with statistical information.  Your data is probably based on average income (I believe it’s really household rather than per capita).  A problem is that this includes many CEOs, hedge fund managers, and other extremely highly paid citizens.  The median would be appreciably lower, and more important, is the trend over the last, say, 25 years has been going down. 

Fortunately, I won’t be around 30 years from now, but you may remember this and look back then to see how far off each of us was. 

Occam

I understand the statistical issues and sure there is room for some error, but the data is per capita income and so it also includes the poverty class. We might just have to agree to disagree here. 30 years from now will be pushing it for me as well but the scenario I can imagine that will make your prediction come true is the one in which our dependence on oil destroys our economy. That’s my biggest fear and based on all the Cadillac Escalades I see on the road, a lot of people aren’t getting the message.

Signature 

Posted: 07 July 2011 04:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  2424
Joined  2007-07-05

Glows in the dark.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental