6 of 7
Research Into The Weird, Pointless, And Just Plain Silly
Posted: 27 July 2011 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5497
Joined  2010-06-16

Those I’ve met who had the greatest wit and sense of humor were also quite intelligent, however, my point is that the correlation is less that perfect since I’ve also met some people who had high intelligence and extensive academic training, but were completely devoid of humor, both in neither being able to generate it nor recognize it.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 27 July 2011 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  2632
Joined  2011-04-24

Humor crosses over into very subjective territory, however it seems like a very high logical temperment is detrimental to humor - also, (for the lack of a better word) stupid people are very easily amused.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 28 July 2011 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

It seems to me it just matters how much humor is involved in your everyday life. As more intelligent people seem to be more introverted and thus have less interaction with others, their involvement in humorous situations would seem to be less, thus they would get less practice with humor. #armchairphilosophy

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 28 July 2011 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29
domokato - 28 July 2011 09:41 AM

As more intelligent people seem to be more introverted

The only trait that slightly correlates with intelligence is openness.

Posted: 28 July 2011 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Oh, that’s surprising. Guess it’s just a stereotype then. One that I fit smile

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 28 July 2011 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

Actually, stereotypes are usually based on facts.

Posted: 28 July 2011 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

It seems to me that humor, or at least some humor, is the result of an acute ability to recognize illogical ideas or inconsistencies, particularly in regard to human interaction.  I think it may take a very high, somewhat rare type of intelligence to recognize absurdity and then “dumb it down” so the rest of us can appreciate it.  Jon Stewart,  Steven Colbert, Groucho Marx, Mark Twain, John Cleese, Charlie Chaplin, Gary Trudeau, Bill Watterson; does anyone think these people are, or were, unintelligent?  Perhaps it’s a type of intelligence that’s hard to measure, one that is less easily assessed than the type of intelligence that produces the mathematician or physicist.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 29 July 2011 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Jeciron - 28 July 2011 04:10 PM

It seems to me that humor, or at least some humor, is the result of an acute ability to recognize illogical ideas or inconsistencies, particularly in regard to human interaction.  I think it may take a very high, somewhat rare type of intelligence to recognize absurdity and then “dumb it down” so the rest of us can appreciate it.  Jon Stewart,  Steven Colbert, Groucho Marx, Mark Twain, John Cleese, Charlie Chaplin, Gary Trudeau, Bill Watterson; does anyone think these people are, or were, unintelligent?  Perhaps it’s a type of intelligence that’s hard to measure, one that is less easily assessed than the type of intelligence that produces the mathematician or physicist.

And let’s not forget STEVEN WRIGHT!

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 29 July 2011 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

Jeez, here I’ve been roaming the Internet looking for a good contribution to this topic, and all the while it was right here under my nose:

Truly weird, truly pointless, and truly stupid

Posted: 11 September 2012 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

So, apparently, smoking pot increases your risk of testicular cancer.  Sucks, I know.  But there is good news.  It seems that the risk can be lowered by using cocaine.  So, you know.  Toke ‘em up, boys.  But for the love of your children, think of your health and snort some damn blow afterward.  For the children.

Hee, I dug it out.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 25 September 2012 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Mystery of ivory Roman gaming die found 40 years ago finally solved......it’s elephant ivory, people!  Elephant!!  Thank God that critical discovery was made.  I can’t see how the world could have gone on much longer not knowing.

*slams head on desk* Why…..?

Signature 

Posted: 25 September 2012 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
Dead Monky - 11 September 2012 09:46 AM

So, apparently, smoking pot increases your risk of testicular cancer.  Sucks, I know.  But there is good news.  It seems that the risk can be lowered by using cocaine.  So, you know.  Toke ‘em up, boys.  But for the love of your children, think of your health and snort some damn blow afterward.  For the children.

Hee, I dug it out.

You don’t have to resort to cocaine use.  The higher correlation with testicular cancer was only with guys who didn’t use pot very often.  Just use it regularly, and your testicles should be as safe as anyone’s.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 09 October 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Cure for cancer?  What the hell is that?  We’d rather spend our grant money on explaining why wine goes good with meat.

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2013 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

$1.5 million to study why lesbians are fat?  Sure.  Why the hell not.  It’s not like we’re hurting for money or anything.

Signature 

Posted: 12 March 2013 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
Dead Monky - 03 July 2011 09:56 AM

I find a lot of stories about seemingly bizarre and/or pointless research conducted by scientists.  And rather than fill the board up with links to them, I thought I’d make another of my category threads and just dump them all here.

Anyway, the first up:
Women with size-five feet are the most attractive to men.  So sayeth science anyway.

I can most definitely say that I am not one these men.  Not because I don’t find size-five feet attractive, but because I don’t really find any feet attractive.  As far as I’m concerned all feet, regardless of size, are unattractive, clunky, and utilitarian appendages and unless a woman has hooves I don’t factor her feet in when I consider how attractive she is.

The formula for a perfect woman’s foot is a size five, wearing three inch heels and red toe nail varnish, according to the study.

Research by foot plaster company Compeed revealed nearly half of men will look at a woman’s feet on a first date and a third will make a character judgement based on the state of them.

Why?

Further research that shows that men who judge women by their foot size don’t get enough sex to test the theory.

wink

6 of 7