7 of 7
Research Into The Weird, Pointless, And Just Plain Silly
Posted: 12 March 2013 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  776
Joined  2009-07-17
Dead Monky - 06 July 2011 12:17 PM

Fat-faced men are unethical bastards.  Or so says a new study.  (Link)  According to it

Men who have wider faces relative to their facial height are more likely to engage in unethical behavior, according to a new study in the latest issue of the Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

The finding adds to the growing body of evidence that an individual’s genes and hormonal development can influence that person’s behavior. The research also supports that certain static physical characteristics — in this case, a man’s facial bone structure — may serve as reliable visual cues to behavior.

I can’t imagine how such research could possibly be misread and abused.

Yet some people still hinge on Rush Limbaughs every word… cheese (I’m sure I’m not misreading or abusing the research as DM suggested.)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 09 April 2013 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Scientists in Japan (always Japan, it’s always from Japan) have invented a coat that simulates the sensation of being hugged.  The Riaiyuu Coat has a belt that tightens in a hug-like fashion and head phones that play phrases like “I’m sorry, were you waiting?” and “Watch your back!” 

Link

Creepy, sad, disturbing, or KILL IT WITH FIRE!?  You decide.

P.S.
“The Tokyo University of Electro-Communications is also working on a kissing simulator.”  Of course they are.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 09 April 2013 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27

This thread was started in July 2011 and only recently was revived.  I guess old threads never die, and, unlike old soldiers, they never completely fade away, either.

Posted: 09 April 2013 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

It’s my thread.  I can revive it if I want.  tongue laugh Plus, I disappeared from here for around a year and didn’t want to make a copy thread or fill the board up when I find this crap.

Signature 

Posted: 09 April 2013 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Total Posts:  2171
Joined  2007-04-26

I haven’t read through the entire post and maybe someone already mentioned this, but along the lines of the original topic if you haven’t already discovered the Ig Nobel awards you might find them interesting. The awards are given to researchers who’s work first makes you laugh but then makes you think. They are presented at Harvard every September and the presentations are usually carried on the SciFri podcast I think. Anyway the link is listed below. Its interesting and fun to listen to when they give the awards. Much less stuffy than the Nobels.

http://www.improbable.com/ig/

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 09 April 2013 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Oh yes, I love the Ig Nobels.  Very amusing.  And often surprisingly useful.

Signature 

7 of 7