1 of 2
Echinacea
Posted: 04 July 2011 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

My colleague has been sick for a few days now with cough and high fever. Evidently, she has an infection, but refuses to go to the doctor. Supposedly, she has no need for antibiotics as she has already taken Echinacea. If she makes me sick I am really going to lose my cool.

I am not sure why I am posting this but I am chocked up with anger and I need to vent my rage somewhere… angry

Posted: 04 July 2011 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5939
Joined  2006-12-20
George - 04 July 2011 09:21 AM

My colleague has been sick for a few days now with cough and high fever. Evidently, she has an infection, but refuses to go to the doctor. Supposedly, she has no need for antibiotics as she has already taken Echinacea. If she makes me sick I am really going to lose my cool.

I am not sure why I am posting this but I am chocked up with anger and I need to vent my rage somewhere… angry

What if your colleague had said “I’m not going to the doctor yet it’s best to give my immune system a chance to clear it up”?

Would that be reasonable?

Stephen

Posted: 04 July 2011 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Depending on the severity of the infection, no.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 04 July 2011 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
StephenLawrence - 04 July 2011 09:59 AM

What if your colleague had said “I’m not going to the doctor yet it’s best to give my immune system a chance to clear it up”?

Stephen

Well, if she wants to play doctor, that is really none of my business—for what I care, she can try bat nails cooked around the full moon. I only wish she did this at home instead of coughing around everybody at the studio. People’s beliefs don’t bother me until they bother me.

[ Edited: 04 July 2011 11:08 AM by George ]

Posted: 04 July 2011 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-12-20
George - 04 July 2011 11:06 AM
StephenLawrence - 04 July 2011 09:59 AM

Stephen

Well, if she wants to play doctor, that is really none of my business—for what I care, she can try bat nails cooked around the full moon. I only wish she did this at home instead of coughing around everybody at the studio. People’s beliefs don’t bother me until they bother me.

Yes, what I was wondering was, was she doing the right thing, all be it for the wrong reasons?

The reason I ask is:

1) It’s not obvious with the info I have that she should take anything for it.

2) Or that she should take time off work.

Stephen

Posted: 04 July 2011 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Again, Stephen, it is none of my business how she decides to deal with her health problems. Sure, one can get through most bacterial infections without antibiotics. The only problems here are possible health complications, the fact that it will probably take a bit longer for the infection to go away and (and this is my concern) greater risk of infecting others. She should get diagnosed and stay home for at least a few days, and not relying on the magical power of Echinacea.

[ Edited: 04 July 2011 11:36 AM by George ]

Posted: 04 July 2011 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 04 July 2011 11:32 AM

Again, Stephen, it is none of my business how she decides to deal with her health problems. Sure, one can get through most bacterial infections without antibiotics. The only problems here are possible health complications, the fact that it will probably take a bit longer for the infection to go away and (and this is my concern) greater risk of infecting others. She should get diagnosed and stay home for at least a few days, and not relying on the magical power of Echinacea.

Put a booger in her chicken soup. If she asks why you did that, just tell her it’s the closest thing to an infectious cough you could come up with.  shut eye

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 04 July 2011 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-12-20

Again, Stephen, it is none of my business how she decides to deal with her health problems.

But it is, isn’t it, if she’s getting it wrong and affecting others.

Sure, one can get through most bacterial infections without antibiotics. The only problems here are possible health complications, the fact that it will probably take a bit longer for the infection to go away and (and this is my concern) greater risk of infecting others.

Yes, but the implications are pros and cons, that’s why it’s not so obvious, the use of antibiotics has it’s downside.

She should get diagnosed and stay home for at least a few days, and not relying on the magical power of Echinacea.

Well of course she should not rely on echinacea but staying at home has it’s pluses and minuses as does getting diagnosed.

Stephen

Posted: 04 July 2011 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
traveler - 04 July 2011 11:47 AM

Put a booger in her chicken soup. If she asks why you did that, just tell her it’s the closest thing to an infectious cough you could come up with.  shut eye

Yeah, maybe I should.  smirk

Posted: 04 July 2011 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting Stephen: 

but staying at home has it’s pluses and minuses as does getting diagnosed.

I’m curious, Stephen, what do you see as a downside to diagnosis?  You may disagree with a given treatment, but just learning more about the problem would seem to be positive without minuses.

George, maybe you should buy a pack of those cheap, paper respiratory masks and pass them out to everyone in the office so they can all wear them to give her a hint.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 04 July 2011 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam. - 04 July 2011 12:23 PM

George, maybe you should buy a pack of those cheap, paper respiratory masks and pass them out to everyone in the office so they can all wear them to give her a hint.

I think she’s way past the hint stage. grin She actually just told me that maybe I should quit smoking and start eating meat to lower my chances of getting sick. I guess technically she is right, but now she is really making me upset… mad

Posted: 04 July 2011 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5190
Joined  2010-06-16

Is it possible that part of her respiratory problem is pollen allergy?  If so, you may want to gather a variety of flowers from local weeds, bring them to work and let the pollen drift around (I wouldn’t suggest shaking it in her direction smile ).  That way, she may get stuffed up enough that she decides by herself to go home.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 04 July 2011 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

LOL

No, it’s not allergies. She has a fever. Actually, she just left—hopefully, to see a doctor.

[ Edited: 04 July 2011 01:16 PM by George ]

Posted: 04 July 2011 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2006-12-20
Occam. - 04 July 2011 12:23 PM

I’m curious, Stephen, what do you see as a downside to diagnosis?  You may disagree with a given treatment, but just learning more about the problem would seem to be positive without minuses.

The main downside is going to the doctor, that takes the doctors time, is it worth it? If not it would be much better if she and all the people in her position didn’t go to the doctor.

She’ll also sit in the waiting room possibly infecting others and she might infect the doctor.

You suggest she will learn more but will she? She knows what her symptons are, she knows these are caused by an infection and only if her symptons were more serious, would she be likely get any more information than she went in with.

Stephen

[ Edited: 04 July 2011 01:42 PM by StephenLawrence ]

Posted: 04 July 2011 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

George is our man on the ground, doing recon on this woman’s activities. LOL  It sounds like she will have the fever go through her system, then when it wares off, she will point to Echinacea, saying see-it works!

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 04 July 2011 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
mid atlantic - 04 July 2011 04:41 PM

George is our man on the ground, doing recon on this woman’s activities. LOL  It sounds like she will have the fever go through her system, then when it wares off, she will point to Echinacea, saying see-it works!

Yeah, scientifically proven.  sick

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

1 of 2

‹‹ Psychomotor Patterning      Wheat Grass Juice ››