DR. QUANTUM
Posted: 06 July 2011 12:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2665
Joined  2011-04-24

Fred Alan Wolf is a physicist who calls himself Dr. Quantum. He is known for giving lectures on the concept of Quantum Mysticism. He has written many books; one is “Taking the Quantum Leap”,  which taught me the basics of physics. His other books include: “The Spiritual Universe”, “Mind into Matter”, “The Yoga of Time Travel”, these books go DEEP into woo land. He also appeared in the movie “What the bleep do we know. I have never found much against him online, and it seems like more scientists should have been outspoken about his B.S. over the years. Is anyone familiar with him?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 06 July 2011 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
mid atlantic - 06 July 2011 12:58 AM

Fred Alan Wolf is a physicist who calls himself Dr. Quantum. He is known for giving lectures on the concept of Quantum Mysticism. He has written many books; one is “Taking the Quantum Leap”,  which taught me the basics of physics. His other books include: “The Spiritual Universe”, “Mind into Matter”, “The Yoga of Time Travel”, these books go DEEP into woo land. He also appeared in the movie “What the bleep do we know. I have never found much against him online, and it seems like more scientists should have been outspoken about his B.S. over the years. Is anyone familiar with him?

My wife and I watched What the Bleep do We Know this past weekend. There were a couple of woo types in the documentary. Wolf was sort of in the middle on the woo-ness scale. Look, since we are just beginning to explore the quantum world it is reasonable to advance some hypotheses that are ‘out there.’ Science welcomes all hypotheses and eventually it prunes out the weak ones. We have a gut feeling about which ones will fail but science looks at them all. That’s a good thing.

One of the ‘out there’ hypotheses is that since our brains have a quantum nature (as shown in the documentary) it is possible that there is a very distant entanglement that replicates our mind and therefore we may persist in some sense beyond our physical bodies here on Earth. Yep, it’s pretty kooky at first blush to most people but who knows - most people can be wrong.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 06 July 2011 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
traveler - 06 July 2011 05:44 AM

One of the ‘out there’ hypotheses is that since our brains have a quantum nature (as shown in the documentary) it is possible that there is a very distant entanglement that replicates our mind and therefore we may persist in some sense beyond our physical bodies here on Earth. Yep, it’s pretty kooky at first blush to most people but who knows - most people can be wrong.

Really, traveler?  grin

Posted: 06 July 2011 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 06 July 2011 06:48 AM
traveler - 06 July 2011 05:44 AM

Really, traveler?  grin

Really, what?

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2011 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I dunno, but I probably wouldn’t refer to phantasmagoria ideas from “What the Bleep do We Know” as a hypothesis.

Posted: 06 July 2011 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 06 July 2011 07:11 AM

I dunno, but I probably wouldn’t refer to phantasmagoria ideas from “What the Bleep do We Know” as a hypothesis.

Well, I thought the ‘out there’ qualifier was sufficient. Anally speaking, you are correct. An hypothesis is generally required to be more concrete and less theoretical in order to satisfy statistical rigor of the hypothetical-deductive model. So if ‘out there’ doesn’t work, let’s just change it to “kooky idea.”  tongue rolleye

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2011 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Yes, I know you called it out there and pretty kooky, but then you go on to say that, “Who knows – most people can be wrong.” That’s why I responded the way I did.

Posted: 06 July 2011 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 06 July 2011 07:46 AM

Yes, I know you called it out there and pretty kooky, but then you go on to say that, “Who knows – most people can be wrong.” That’s why I responded the way I did.

But it’s true! Most people believe in a benevolent God and an afterlife. Most people thought the Earth was flat. Most people thought that ulcers were NOT caused by bacteria (Helicobacter pylori). The beauty behind science is that it does not judge. It just marches after the truth. I can use phrases like ‘out there’ and ‘pretty kooky’ to appease you and me, but science ignores those words.

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2011 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

“What the Bleep do We Know” had nothing to do with science. To be fair, although I thought the documentary had woo-woo written all over it (I saw it a long time ago—and I think I never finished watching the whole thing), the animation explaining the double-slit experiment was pretty cool. But that’s about it. The rest was just pure BS.

Posted: 06 July 2011 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 06 July 2011 07:57 AM

“What the Bleep do We Know” had nothing to do with science. To be fair, although I thought the documentary had woo-woo written all over it (I saw it a long time ago—and I think I never finished watching the whole thing), the animation explaining the double-slit experiment was pretty cool. But that’s about it. The rest was just pure BS.

I share that opinion.

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2011 08:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

HERE is a review of What The Bleep Do We Know!? which I thought sums up pretty well all the nonsense in the documentary.

A few excerpts:

The premise of the film is that quantum mechanics proves a conscious observer is necessary to create reality. The conclusion is we literally create reality with our thoughts.

Unfortunately the theory of quantum mechanics does not say this. The film makers are confusing the theory of quantum mechanics with an interpretation of quantum mechanics.

“I was edited in such a way as to completely suppress my actual views about the matters the movie discusses. I am, indeed, profoundly unsympathetic to attempts at linking quantum mechanics with consciousness. Moreover, I explained all that, at great length, on camera, to the producers of the film ... Had I known that I would have been so radically misrepresented in the movie, I would certainly not have agreed to be filmed.”

—David Albert, physics professor of the Columbia University (featured in the film)

Posted: 06 July 2011 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

The premise of the film is that quantum mechanics proves a conscious observer is necessary to create reality. The conclusion is we literally create reality with our thoughts.

Christ on a cracker!  Humanity’s even more f-ed up than I thought.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 06 July 2011 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 06 July 2011 08:56 AM

HERE is a review of What The Bleep Do We Know!? which I thought sums up pretty well all the nonsense in the documentary.

A few excerpts:

Unfortunately the theory of quantum mechanics does not say this. The film makers are confusing the theory of quantum mechanics with an interpretation of quantum mechanics.

“I was edited in such a way as to completely suppress my actual views about the matters the movie discusses. I am, indeed, profoundly unsympathetic to attempts at linking quantum mechanics with consciousness. Moreover, I explained all that, at great length, on camera, to the producers of the film ... Had I known that I would have been so radically misrepresented in the movie, I would certainly not have agreed to be filmed.”

—David Albert, physics professor of the Columbia University (featured in the film)

That’s a great review. I agree with it. I am not even surprised that they misrepresented Albert. Look, I don’t believe the BS - I’m simply recognizing that what I or anyone else believes is not important (fortunately) to science.

Signature 

Posted: 06 July 2011 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  2665
Joined  2011-04-24

I’ve never seen the movie “What the bleep do we know”, Wolf’s books are really new age-like. I must admit that “Taking the quantum leap” was pretty good as an intro to basic physics, but his other books go into the Kabbalah, Gnosticism, Akashic fields and so on. Where the hell are Dawkins and Myers when you need ‘em. mad

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 07 July 2011 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  6020
Joined  2009-02-26

I liked Akasha in “Queen of the Damned”..... tongue wink

Vampires have entanglement at a distance, didn’t you know?

[ Edited: 07 July 2011 07:41 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U