1 of 2
Greets from Michigan
Posted: 07 July 2011 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2011-07-07

I’d like to formally introduce myself to the CFI forums. To simplify my background, I’ll give a basic, if a little over-extended,  summary on how I encountered Atheism and the critical thinking I adopted to question Christianity.

Growing up in Michigan was formerly an easy task. Living in an Conservative household from a primarily Fundamentalist Catholic family was care-free and a largely blank period of bliss. I was formerly a militant Christian, and believed in every aspect of the bible, never bothering to question the principles of my religion. I had a largely Christian-based collective of friends, and I never interacted with Agnostics/Atheists. I attended school after school, never really finding my “niche” in society. Confronted with reality at every approaching stage of education, I began delving into philosophical studies, hoping to find answers in the knowledge/inquiry of others. While being a Conservative child meant acceptance and the ability to conform with the social norms of my school/friends, I began to doubt in the plausibility, and even the sanity, of Christian Fundamentalism. My mother, while mostly apathetic, had always encouraged me to go to church with her on Sunday, and my father remained aloof of her wishes to keep control of my beliefs. This obviously led to internal conflict. At the age of 12, I officially became an moderate Christian, and I adopted some “Liberal” concepts into my daily life. My mother was annoyed, but again, was largely apathetic. Evolving from that point, I, at 15, decided to become a fully-fledged Atheist, and I also became what one could call a “Technocrat”. I take pride in my beliefs, and while I may believe in an archaic and largely ruined political ideology, and may also be “young” in the minds of some skeptics, I adamantly retain progressive ideals. I’ve also managed to seed skepticism and tolerance in my family, most prominently with my father, who was always a skeptic, and my mother, who is a moderate Democrat Christian, which is a pretty good step from Republican Social Fundamentalist. In short, I’ve gone through ideological hell and back, and while I may not have faced the hardships others have had while trying to change their identity in the face of imposing forces, I can say that I’ve gone through enough to prove my genuine beliefs in technological and societal progress.

While I’m not sure how the CFI handles the age of it’s members, I’d like to express, at the very least, an interest in joining some point in the near future. Aside from the obvious restrictions (vehicular access, drinking age, etc…), I am still unaware of the requirements/rules for membership.

[ Edited: 07 July 2011 08:39 PM by QuantumFrost ]
 Signature 

Ignorance and Reason are two sides of the same defunct coin

Posted: 08 July 2011 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4618
Joined  2007-10-05

I’m not sure about any age restrictions to join CFI, and I encourage you to participate in the discussions. You don’t have much life experience, but from your intro you seem to have much more than average intelligence and reasoning ability. Welcome to the CFI forums.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 08 July 2011 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Wow. Such writing belies a young age. I hope that losing the religious dogma has also allowed you to learn to have some fun in life. I don’t know of any age restrictions. Given your ability to express yourself, I hope you post your thoughts and ideas here frequently. Welcome.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 08 July 2011 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Welcome to the CFI Forum, QuantumFrost. It sounds like you’ve been spending some time questioning old beliefs, which is always a good thing. But don’t get too dogmatic on the results just yet. Give it time.

Re. joining CFI, AFAIK membership in the organization (becoming a ‘friend of the Center’) is basically a matter of donating money, and if there are events in your area of course you can go. Either way, you’re already a member of the Forums here, so please feel free to join us in the discussions!

Cheers,

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 08 July 2011 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-07-07
dougsmith - 08 July 2011 04:49 AM

Welcome to the CFI Forum, QuantumFrost. It sounds like you’ve been spending some time questioning old beliefs, which is always a good thing. But don’t get too dogmatic on the results just yet. Give it time.

Re. joining CFI, AFAIK membership in the organization (becoming a ‘friend of the Center’) is basically a matter of donating money, and if there are events in your area of course you can go. Either way, you’re already a member of the Forums here, so please feel free to join us in the discussions!

Cheers,

Re. 1

Indeed. However, I’m already dedicated to the ideals that I’ve adopted. I’ve read plenty of theological literature, and then some Atheist “Logic vs. Fallacy” books. I’ve analyzed and periodically reasoned with myself on what to think of how I fit in the religious/apathetic scale, and the conclusion was that I am an atheist. I have rejected nearly every Christian value that was formerly present in my life, and I have a largely unfavorable view of not religion, but Fundamentalism. I’m tolerant to one extent, so far enough to engage in friendly debate. That I can assure you. I’ll also insure that I put effort into understanding the reasoning and origins of my current set of principles. Being young doesn’t mean I have jumped to conclusions, rather more that it means I have achieved the ability to break Dawkins “Choice Barrier” so early.

Re. 2

Discussions I can certainly look forward to. As to the dilemma facing me about local events, I’ll wait it out until I’m of sufficient “competence” to handle a vehicle. XD

Re. 3

Thanks to the friendly welcome from everyone who posted. I’m encouraged to see age doesn’t become an absolute factor in what others deem as “Necessary Qualities” for intellectual debate.

[ Edited: 08 July 2011 09:28 AM by QuantumFrost ]
 Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2011 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

Welcome; you seem to have better writing skills than I did at your apparent age.

Age here doesn’t directly matter. From what I’ve seen (and what I think) the most important factors here (and in much internet debate) is the ability to offer constructive criticism without attacking someone personally, and the ability to receive the same criticism gracefully.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 09 July 2011 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome QuantumFrost.  Glad to have you here and given your first post, I think you will enjoy it here and find it very intellectually stimulating.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 10 July 2011 10:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2011-06-29

Welcome to the Forum, CFI is a wonderful organization as no matter what your age you are it’s always great to be a critical thinker.

I was 16 when I went to my first skeptic meeting over 10 years ago and high school ages are always welcome. When you get to College you will be bombarded with many enthusiastic College groups, they can be everything from hardcore leftist and rightist political groups, to fundamentalist religious groups (Christian, Jewish, Muslim), to cults on campus and many promotions of pseudohistory and pseudoscience. Believe me when I tell you that this time of your life is best for strengthening your critical thinking skills.

Anyway, glad you are here.

Posted: 12 July 2011 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-09-19

QuantumFrost,

Welcome! You can connect with CFI Michigan at:

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/michigan (Make sure to sign up for emails!)
http://www.cfimichigan.org/support (Become a Friend of the Center)
http://www.facebook.com/cfimi

Peace.

Jeff

__

Jefferson Seaver, Executive Director
Center for Inquiry | Michigan
http://www.facebook.com/jefferson.seaver

Signature 

Jefferson Seaver
Executive Director
Center for Inquiry | Michigan

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/michigan
jseaver@centerforinquiry.net

Posted: 13 July 2011 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Greetings, Quantum.  So, what corner of our rusted out little crap state do you live in?  Me, I’m from the Tri-City area.  We’ve had two, count them two!, chemical leaks in about a week.  I’m preparing for zombies.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 13 July 2011 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Dead Monky - 13 July 2011 10:26 AM

Greetings, Quantum.  So, what corner of our rusted out little crap state do you live in?  Me, I’m from the Tri-City area.  We’ve had two, count them two!, chemical leaks in about a week.  I’m preparing for zombies.

I used to teach courses at Eastman Chemical. It’s a pretty area. I remember some pretty hefty hills as I jogged around the area. I once asked a class if they got used to the smell. They said, “What smell?”

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 13 July 2011 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

It took me a while, but I eventually got used to Midland’s stink.  (I think the scent receptors in my nose just shut off.)  Every once in a while though, Dow farts out a big one and even the people that have lived here their entire lives complain about it.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 15 July 2011 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-07-07
Dead Monky - 13 July 2011 10:40 AM

It took me a while, but I eventually got used to Midland’s stink.  (I think the scent receptors in my nose just shut off.)  Every once in a while though, Dow farts out a big one and even the people that have lived here their entire lives complain about it.

Oakland. Conservative haven, more or less.

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2011 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-06-29
QuantumFrost - 15 July 2011 05:49 PM

Oakland smells funny

Posted: 16 July 2011 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-07-07
AlexM - 16 July 2011 01:35 AM

Oakland smells funny

It smells like Bellum omnium contra omnes, but instead of humanity, it’s a bunch of degenerate/mentally crippled kids who can’t formulate a cohesive opinion on anything, much like their parents.

Signature 

Posted: 16 July 2011 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-06-29
QuantumFrost - 16 July 2011 10:22 PM
AlexM - 16 July 2011 01:35 AM

Oakland smells funny

It smells like Bellum omnium contra omnes, but instead of humanity, it’s a bunch of degenerate/mentally crippled kids who can’t formulate a cohesive opinion on anything, much like their parents.

Exactly what I was going to say.

1 of 2