New Book on Scientology by Janet Reitman
Posted: 08 July 2011 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2422
Joined  2007-09-03

Reviewed in todays WSJ
“What Hubbard Wrought” Inside Scientology by Jane Reitman

The Church of Scientology, founded in 1950 by science-fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, is not a church that turns the other cheek. In the early 1990s, the Internal Revenue Service went after it for taxes; Scientology unleashed an enfilade of lawsuits and complaints that eventually brought the IRS to heel and won the church tax exemption. In “Inside Scientology,” Janet Reitman says that when the church was charged criminally in 1998 over the death of a parishioner, the organization overwhelmed the medical examiner in Clearwater, Fla.; within two years she had resigned and later suffered a nervous breakdown. According to Ms. Reitman, David Miscavige, the church’s leader, called these acts a ” ‘holy war’ of litigation.”

The book reviews the history of Scientology, its odd mix-in of science fiction, and gives more detail on the transfer of power from Hubbard to Miscavige.

Very strange.

Posted: 08 July 2011 01:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
Jackson - 08 July 2011 11:12 AM

Very strange.

Quite. I’d say more sinister than strange, though ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 08 July 2011 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

I hope Reitman has a good legal team and bodyguard. Those loonies don’t take criticism lightly. OTOH a thorough expose is long overdue.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 08 July 2011 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
asanta - 08 July 2011 01:18 PM

I hope Reitman has a good legal team and bodyguard. Those loonies don’t take criticism lightly. OTOH a thorough expose is long overdue.

Good point, and they have LOTS of $$$$.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 08 July 2011 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

From what I understand, it has all the markings, behaviours, etc of a true cult.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 08 July 2011 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2011-06-12

From what I’ve read, that’s true mostly for the hard core, e.g Sea Corps and those working for the church, but not for the vast majority of practitioners…it’s way too big for that.  For most, it’s not much different than any religion—full of superstitious nonsense and creation myths, costing something but not an arm and a leg, and providing some level of comfort or distraction from the day to day.  Not to say that justifies the abuses, just that it’s a bit misleading to call it a cult when that’s a relatively small subset what it does.