1 of 2
Wheat Grass Juice
Posted: 11 July 2011 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-07-11

I was at Booster Juice a month or so ago (for work, I’m a Public Health Inspector) and I saw something that made me wonder. It was a tray of grass. Just that, a tray of green grass, growing on top of the refrigerator. When I asked about it, they showed me the tray. Part of it had been clipped. I asked what it was and they told me it was “Wheat Grass” and that they make Smoothies with it. It’s apparently great for healing and detoxifying. DING DING DING, the warning bells went into overdrive.
They didn’t have any literature, but directed me to their website. Check it out, it’s hilarious. They state it’s more nutritious than 2.5 pounds of green, leafy vegetables. I pressed them on that point and they presented two studies, one that was admittedly small, and poorly blinded and showed minimal effect, the other was for putting the stuff on your feet and IT DIDN’T WORK! Their own literature showed that it didn’t work!
So…I put a complaint in with the Advertising Standards for false health claims. We’ll see how it turns out!

Posted: 11 July 2011 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
PHIGuy - 11 July 2011 10:51 AM

I was at Booster Juice a month or so ago (for work, I’m a Public Health Inspector) and I saw something that made me wonder. It was a tray of grass. Just that, a tray of green grass, growing on top of the refrigerator. When I asked about it, they showed me the tray. Part of it had been clipped. I asked what it was and they told me it was “Wheat Grass” and that they make Smoothies with it. It’s apparently great for healing and detoxifying. DING DING DING, the warning bells went into overdrive.
They didn’t have any literature, but directed me to their website. Check it out, it’s hilarious. They state it’s more nutritious than 2.5 pounds of green, leafy vegetables. I pressed them on that point and they presented two studies, one that was admittedly small, and poorly blinded and showed minimal effect, the other was for putting the stuff on your feet and IT DIDN’T WORK! Their own literature showed that it didn’t work!
So…I put a complaint in with the Advertising Standards for false health claims. We’ll see how it turns out!

Caveat emptor! If someone can sell something, they will. And of course, it’s organic.  smile

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 11 July 2011 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

If they get shut down, they’ll just claim that the Medical/Food bureaucracy is trying to silence those who have the health of the people as their only goal. LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 July 2011 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Wheat grass smoothies?  And people wonder why I hate hippies.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 13 July 2011 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-06-07

My wife and son drink it. I don’t know how much they charge for the crap. They got me to drink it once. It’s like F’ck this tastes like grass. Why in the hell would I want to drink juiced grass?

They’ll usually go to a juice place and order a double. I can’t convince them otherwise. I can’t understand how other people’s minds work sometimes. Just because they see it all over the place and people talk about how healthy it is, it must be so.

Now my wife wants me to do a coffee enema. I told her only if it’s a double mocha latte with extra whipped cream…

Posted: 13 July 2011 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

A coffee enema?  Really?  What is wrong with people?  What kind of sane people want to have bitter, brown bean-squeezings water shot up their ass?  “Why” I asks you?  WHY?

What the hell is with this obsession people have with their poop and their bowels?  It seems like every time I turn on the freaking TV there’s some ad for yogurt that makes you poop like a freaking robot.  If it’s not yogurt (or some other dairy product) it’s some company hawking wares to improve your GI poop balance with superscience mystery hoodoo by variously shoving or shooting things up your bum.  What the hell?  What is it about people that causes so many of them to obsess over the idea that if you don’t poop every two hours on the hour you’re sick or dying or Pedobear approved or something.  “Oh noez!  I was four attoseconds late for my last scheduled poo session!  I haz the cancer-making butt gnomes!  NOOOOOEZ!!!”

Signature 

Posted: 13 July 2011 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4812
Joined  2007-10-05

I had a friend in California about seven years ago who always brought wheatgrass juice to the motorcycle track days. She insisted I try some once. I had the same reaction as Gnostikosis.

This is just more New Age mystical nonsense. It is natural, so therefore it has to be good for you. oh oh

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 13 July 2011 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2681
Joined  2011-04-24
Dead Monky - 13 July 2011 03:17 PM

A coffee enema?  Really?  What is wrong with people?  What kind of sane people want to have bitter, brown bean-squeezings water shot up their ass?  “Why” I asks you?  WHY?

What the hell is with this obsession people have with their poop and their bowels?  It seems like every time I turn on the freaking TV there’s some ad for yogurt that makes you poop like a freaking robot.  If it’s not yogurt (or some other dairy product) it’s some company hawking wares to improve your GI poop balance with superscience mystery hoodoo by variously shoving or shooting things up your bum.  What the hell?  What is it about people that causes so many of them to obsess over the idea that if you don’t poop every two hours on the hour you’re sick or dying or Pedobear approved or something.  “Oh noez!  I was four attoseconds late for my last scheduled poo session!  I haz the cancer-making butt gnomes!  NOOOOOEZ!!!”

LOL Your a riot DM!  Most of those individuals quite likely get off on having things shoved up their butts. Aw well, whatever floats their feces.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 13 July 2011 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2681
Joined  2011-04-24
Gnostikosis - 13 July 2011 03:03 PM

My wife and son drink it. I don’t know how much they charge for the crap. They got me to drink it once. It’s like F’ck this tastes like grass. Why in the hell would I want to drink juiced grass?

They’ll usually go to a juice place and order a double. I can’t convince them otherwise. I can’t understand how other people’s minds work sometimes. Just because they see it all over the place and people talk about how healthy it is, it must be so.

Now my wife wants me to do a coffee enema. I told her only if it’s a double mocha latte with extra whipped cream…

LOL  I said the same thing when I tried it! Good response to the enema statement. tongue laugh

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 14 July 2011 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  6055
Joined  2009-02-26
mid atlantic - 13 July 2011 08:45 PM
Gnostikosis - 13 July 2011 03:03 PM

LOL  I said the same thing when I tried it! Good response to the enema statement. tongue laugh

I recommend French Roast. It has a certain savoir faire…....... snake

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 14 July 2011 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

This is just more New Age mystical nonsense. It is natural, so therefore it has to be good for you.

Perhaps we can offer these people milkshakes made from mercury, arsenic, cyanide, tetrodotoxin, and toadstool mushrooms with a nightshade chaser.

Perfectly natural, very effective…

Safe????

Oh well, two out of three ain’t bad!! red face

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 14 July 2011 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

The wheat grass has very little nutritional content. The best thing I can say about it is that it will not make them fat, the worst thing is that they are wasting their money, and if the wheat grass is ‘naturally’ fertilized and not well cleaned, they have a small chance of getting a nice e.coli infection….

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 16 July 2011 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

I happened to give Trader Joe’s juice concoction a try, the ingredients looked real at least, no preservatives or dyes.  They liquefied a dozen different fruits and veggies together, it was a fruity tasting drink in the end, but because of the greens (broccoli, spinach, wheat grass, blue-green algae, etc.), the mix was a opaque dark green, swampy looking really.  Algae and grass… strange but I suppose I give them a try.  I laughed as I drank it, tasty but so dark looking, and ironic contrast.  It just tasted fruity to me.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 17 July 2011 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I can’t drink any of those “all natural” hippie drinks.  I think I just have an aversion to drinking anything that looks like it was dredged out of a drainage ditch.

Signature 

Posted: 18 July 2011 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

He he he I swear, as I drank it I could see Birkenstock on my feet!  It was like the voice of Jerry was right in the room, man. big surprise

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 02 October 2011 12:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

Wheat Grass is listed as a super food:

SUPERFOODS

GREEN SUPERFOODS
Greens are good, Green Superfoods are even better! Green superfoods have the highest concentrations of easily digestible nutrients, fat burning compounds, vitamins and minerals to protect and heal the body. They contain a wide array of beneficial substances including proteins, protective photo-chemicals and healthy bacteria helping you to build cleaner muscles and tissues, aid your digestive system function and more effectively protect you against disease and illness.

Green superfoods are extremely rich in chlorophyll - the pigment that gives plants their green color. The molecular structure of chlorophyll is very similar to that of human blood and studies show that when this is consumed, the production of hemoglobin in blood is increased. Higher amounts of hemoglobin in the bloodstream means more oxygen-rich blood, the first and most important element that cells need to thrive.

Wheat grass - Wheat grass is the sprouted grass of a wheat seed. Unlike the whole grain, because it has been sprouted, it no longer contains gluten or other common allergic agents. Wheat grass is super alkalizing and is excellent for promoting healthy blood. It normalizes the thyroid gland to stimulate metabolism thus assisting digestion and promoting weight loss due also to its high enzyme content and cleansing effect.

Barley grass - Barley grass has 11 times more calcium than cows milk, 5 times more iron than spinach and 7 times more Vitamin C and bio-flavonoids than orange juice. It contains significant amounts of Vitamin B12 which is very important in a vegetarian diet. Barley grass juice has anti-viral activities and neutralizes heavy metals such as mercury in the blood.

Wild blue-green algae - Algae was the first form of life on Earth and its power is immense. Wild blue-green algae is a phyto-plankton and contains virtually every nutrient. With a 60% protein content and a more complete amino acid profile than beef or soy beans. It contains one of the best known food sources of beta carotene, B vitamins and chlorophyll. It has been shown to improve brain function and memory, strengthen the immune system and help with viruses, colds and flu.

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

1 of 2

‹‹ Echinacea      Consumer Reports and Woo ››