1 of 3
The good sports, and the cheaters
Posted: 16 July 2011 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Damn! Roger Clemens of the NY Yankees on trial, but the trial thrown out.  Michael Vick of the Eagels the ring leader of a dog fighting ring, convicted.  Untreated concussions even in high school football.  Such a constant stream of reports suspecting and finding steroid use, and human growth hormone use in professional sports like the NFL, MLB, international cycling, and more.  Even reports of drug use in the Olympics. 

Is it me, or is all of this coming to a climax?  I do like to watch a game once in a while, but this is getting ridiculous.  When I hear of Jeter hitting 3000 in his career, I have to wonder what the reports will say about him in a few years?  I think that there are a lot of bad attitudes in professional sports, I hope that a few of them are actually honest and well intended, its just starting to seem like the drugs are the norm in sports. 

I hope that they aren’t taking the attitudes like, “Second place is the first looser!”, “Walk it off!”, “If it dosen’t kill you, it makes you stronger!”, “Winning is everything!”, but I doubt they will do that.

What do you think, humanists?

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 16 July 2011 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24

I don’t like sports at all, and I have no respect for athletes whatsoever. I’m happy that some of them are being ruined, Fuck Roger Clemens and everything he stands for.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 17 July 2011 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
mid atlantic - 16 July 2011 11:24 PM

I don’t like sports at all, and I have no respect for athletes whatsoever. I’m happy that some of them are being ruined, Fuck Roger Clemens and everything he stands for.

alrightie than, don’t hold back now.  wink

I do tend to watch the Super Bowl, sort of a tradition with some friends (actual fans) that goes way back, good excuse to socialize with old pals.  But other than that I would have to agree, more than disagree with your assertion.

My grandson started peewee football last year, I’ve got real mixed feelings about that, jeez, then they add the ten year old cheerleaders and it makes for a pretty surreal event watching them little guys go at it, dreamin of the big time.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 17 July 2011 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3063
Joined  2010-04-26

I only watch hockey.  It’s the only sport that doesn’t bore me to tears.  And it’s the only one that acknowledges that every so often you need to drop the gloves and punch someone’s face in.  cheese

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 17 July 2011 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
jump_in_the_pit - 16 July 2011 08:53 PM

Damn! Roger Clemens of the NY Yankees on trial, but the trial thrown out.  Michael Vick of the Eagels the ring leader of a dog fighting ring, convicted.  Untreated concussions even in high school football.  Such a constant stream of reports suspecting and finding steroid use, and human growth hormone use in professional sports like the NFL, MLB, international cycling, and more.  Even reports of drug use in the Olympics. 

Is it me, or is all of this coming to a climax?  I do like to watch a game once in a while, but this is getting ridiculous.  When I hear of Jeter hitting 3000 in his career, I have to wonder what the reports will say about him in a few years?  I think that there are a lot of bad attitudes in professional sports, I hope that a few of them are actually honest and well intended, its just starting to seem like the drugs are the norm in sports. 

I hope that they aren’t taking the attitudes like, “Second place is the first looser!”, “Walk it off!”, “If it dosen’t kill you, it makes you stronger!”, “Winning is everything!”, but I doubt they will do that.

What do you think, humanists?

Well, cheating has always been with sports, and arguably it was much worse in the past. (Heard of the Black Sox scandal?) It’s what happens when you get lots of very driven people who feel they are betting their lives on something very chancy. Some get superstitious, others cheat. Though NB: steroid use wasn’t really punishable in baseball until 2005. (See HERE).

Cheating in chancy, high-benefit fields like sports and politics is as old as the hills. (See HERE for sports). The only difference now is that we have better skill at drug production and targeting.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 17 July 2011 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

I love sports! I don’t like the dark side of anything and sports has its dark side. But I’m not so sure that the sports are as much to blame as is capitalism. Capitalism itself has a dark side; it is yet another thing that could be great but can also suck the life out of a society. Sports, politics, health care, energy, law, and most things that are important can be crushed by the wrong implementation of capitalism.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 17 July 2011 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

I don’t even think it’s capitalism so much as the inherent human need to win.  We humans want to win and we love winners.  We also love big wins and impressive stats.  But I could be wrong.  I’m just kind of talking out my butt here.

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2011 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Dead Monky - 17 July 2011 09:42 AM

I don’t even think it’s capitalism so much as the inherent human need to win.  We humans want to win and we love winners.  We also love big wins and impressive stats.  But I could be wrong.  I’m just kind of talking out my butt here.

It’s the mix, DM. When the desire for profits exceeds the desire to help patients, play a game, provide energy, or to hold office to serve a people, capitalism is the enabler.

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2011 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

So you don’t think the Soviets cheated for the glory of Comrade Viktory?

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2011 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Dead Monky - 17 July 2011 10:14 AM

So you don’t think the Soviets cheated for the glory of Comrade Viktory?

nope.

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2011 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

LOL  Okay then.

commiecall.bmp

Translation: Steroids are for capitalist swine, comrades!

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2011 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Dead Monky - 17 July 2011 10:22 AM

LOL  Okay then.

commiecall.bmp

Translation: Steroids are for capitalist swine, comrades!

Just to go a bit deeper… Say they did win for glory or whatever. That doesn’t hurt anyone. It doesn’t take the thrill out of sports. When discussions here have dissed sports professionally or in college, the root of the problem is love of money/material. I like the sign, DM.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2011 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

Me too.  I love the old Soviet propaganda artwork.  I like propaganda artwork in general, but the Soviets had a certain panache to theirs.

Anyway, I don’t really see much difference between cheating for money and cheating for the win.  It’s still freaking cheating.

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2011 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Well if not Capitalism then there is the public democratic option.  Can you really picture state funding for the sports, public employees?  Rules that are actually enforced, not just nodded to?

They did that in ancient Rome, public sports.  In the Roman Colosseum they capture them from foreign lands, enslave them and train them for the gladiator games, the last man standing wins the day, then afterwards the slaves get pimped out to the local rich women, the winners are priced higher.  The female foreign slaves just get pimped, they don’t have to fight as well.  Compared to ancient Rome, our sports seem docile.  But I don’t know if our players are any worse or better today.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 17 July 2011 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Dead Monky - 17 July 2011 10:39 AM

Me too.  I love the old Soviet propaganda artwork.  I like propaganda artwork in general, but the Soviets had a certain panache to theirs.

Anyway, I don’t really see much difference between cheating for money and cheating for the win.  It’s still freaking cheating.

I had a brain fart there DM. I missed the cheating part. My mind was in the motivation. I agree with you; it is still freaking cheating. My point wasn’t about cheating, it was about WHY we do what we do. Once money becomes the primary objective, that’s when some things go sour.

Edit to add: I read what you wrote as “So you don’t think the Soviets won for the glory of Comrade Viktory?” “Cheated didn’t even enter my thoughts.  LOL
BTW, I was watching USA v Japan Soccer while writing that.  cheese What a game.

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2011 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
jump_in_the_pit - 17 July 2011 12:06 PM

Well if not Capitalism then there is the public democratic option.  Can you really picture state funding for the sports, public employees?  Rules that are actually enforced, not just nodded to?

They did that in ancient Rome, public sports.  In the Roman Colosseum they capture them from foreign lands, enslave them and train them for the gladiator games, the last man standing wins the day, then afterwards the slaves get pimped out to the local rich women, the winners are priced higher.  The female foreign slaves just get pimped, they don’t have to fight as well.  Compared to ancient Rome, our sports seem docile.  But I don’t know if our players are any worse or better today.

That’s interesting JITP. As I just mentioned - I don’t like cheating for any reason. I don’t think anyone who really loves sports appreciates any sort of cheating.

Signature 

1 of 3