3 of 3
The good sports, and the cheaters
Posted: 19 July 2011 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I must admit, cheating in sports doesn’t bother me;

To a point, it does bother me.

Not that I’m inclined to confuse professional athletes or any other celebrity for people of importance or letters. A lot of these people can be counted among the walking brain dead and they prove it every time they open their mouths.

The problem in this instance is that these clowns are frequantly presented as role models and some of them even appear to believe their own press. As far as I’m concerned, if these people are going to be presented as role models or worse, actually believe that they’re role models, then they need to be true to the image they present.

If they can’t manage that, then they need to just shut the **** up and play ball.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 19 July 2011 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20
TromboneAndrew - 19 July 2011 12:57 AM

Now you’re taking criticism to extremes. All those limits you describe are set in rules - either specifically for the sport, or by nature. I don’t see how people aging or sleeping has any significance against my point. Also, altitude training is not just running in thin air. It is using that environment to increase the amount of red blood cells in the blood, which provides a significant advantage to endurance athletes;...

I guess my quotes wheren’t quite clear enough, to clarify you said “whatever else” TromboneAndrew, taking the idea of training/eating/injections to an extreme as though athletes had no limits.  I replied with a list of the limits that apply to athletes, I thought I demonstrated that they do have limits and do not do “whatever else”.  All I was saying was that there are limits, always.

Oh, come now. This argument has been thrown out for as long as there have been sports. If we were to strictly adhere to the original intent of games, there would be no curveballs or forward passes.

Mine was a literal question, thanks for answering.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 19 July 2011 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  1397
Joined  2010-04-22
jump_in_the_pit - 19 July 2011 11:39 AM

Now you’re taking criticism to extremes. All those limits you describe are set in rules - either specifically for the sport, or by nature. I don’t see how people aging or sleeping has any significance against my point. Also, altitude training is not just running in thin air. It is using that environment to increase the amount of red blood cells in the blood, which provides a significant advantage to endurance athletes;...

I guess my quotes wheren’t quite clear enough, to clarify you said “whatever else” TromboneAndrew, taking the idea of training/eating/injections to an extreme as though athletes had no limits.  I replied with a list of the limits that apply to athletes, I thought I demonstrated that they do have limits and do not do “whatever else”.  All I was saying was that there are limits, always.

Ah, okay. It seems that perhaps I wasn’t that clear either. Point taken.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 20 July 2011 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
jump_in_the_pit - 19 July 2011 08:29 AM

traveler brings up the obesity crisis.  I don’t see professional sports contributing anything towards solving that.  Instead of that, I think that exercise is good and that there are lots of people who want to play the games for fun and health, not for the type-A attitude of win win win at any cost and “anything goes”.  I think that if we had more opportunities to play amateur sports, sports without any of the cheating attitudes being permitted, then it would be popular and it would help with the obesity crisis.  Sports are fun, they are good exercise, there is no reason why they can’t be done safely and in ways that encourage everyone to play, without eliminating people.  Its just that you have to separate out the “no limits” attitudes, that’s all.  The way it is now-a-days when you do see amateurs exercising, they’re hardly ever in with a group, they’re almost always alone.  Why would that be?

My comprehension of sports is just fine, I simply don’t have a reckless attitude.

JITP, I was not limiting the conversation to professional sports. Sports in general obviously go a long way in reducing the current obesity crisis. Schools from kindergarten through college offer sports to encourage physical exercise. My son played sports during his entire academic life and still plays in a soccer league. You say that amateurs “hardly ever” exercise in groups. That’s just not true. Tennis courts, basketball courts, racquetball courts, soccer fields, and softball fields are full of people who are getting exercise. Except for MidAtlantic, I don’t believe anyone here is saying that playing good clean sports fairly is anything but healthy. And he admitted his prejudice against athletes which, like all forms of prejudice, is not healthy.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 21 July 2011 07:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

NFL: We have not “seen the complaint but would vigorously contest any claims of this kind.”

“The group includes former Pro Bowlers Mark Duper of the Miami Dolphins and Rodney Hampton of the New York Giants. Former Super Bowl MVP Ottis Anderson also is named in the lawsuit.

“The players are seeking unspecified damages.

“Most players listed their wives as co-plaintiffs. Helmet maker Riddell also is a defendant.

“The lawsuit, first reported by TMZ.com, alleges that the NFL did not admit that multiple concussions can affect memory and cause dementia and chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) until 2010.”

Ex-players sue NFL over concussions

This proves it for sure… men are actually human beings, fallible, vulnerable, flesh and blood, not machines that are invulnerable, impervious, no need for sleep food shelter recovery.  The NFL players have now flinched, there is now a crack in the wall of silence the players have spoken, the male archetype has now shown that it is really a flesh and blood human being.  smile

If this sort of thing keeps up, honesty that is, don’t be surprised if a third of the NFL comes out of the closet as homosexuals.  Mark my words.  Its only a game.  Is it just me or are these sports controversies really coming to a head?

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2011 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
jump_in_the_pit - 21 July 2011 07:38 AM

Is it just me or are these sports controversies really coming to a head?

Seems to be. And that’s a good thing. The true spirit of sport does not tolerate cheating. It ruins the game!

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 21 July 2011 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

I forgot to congratulate the ex-players.  Brave of them to take a stand for their rights and take a stand for health within the sports/exercise culture.  I wish them all the best.  And I hope to see more players, active ones, show enough bravery to stand up to sports organizations, including the NFL.  Bravo men.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 08 August 2011 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2011-08-02

Hi Every Body,
              My Favorite sports is Hockey & football reason is your body full movement in hockey and Football and it is also good for your health & fitness cheating is also part so sports OR Cheating has always been with sports.

3 of 3