border states’ gun control
Posted: 18 July 2011 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2010-01-03

Link to CNN article

I was listening to the local (Louisville, KY) hunting and fishing show on the radio and they spent the entire 3 hour broadcast discussing this issue, as opposed to water temperature and 10+ pointed buck sightings.  Apparently, there was an ATF initiative (“Operation Fast and Furious”) to combat Mexican drug cartels, involving the tracking of assault weapons.  One of these was used to kill a border patrol agent.  As a result the Feds are stepping in and hoping to implement

a plan to require gun dealers in four Southwest border states—California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas—to report the sales of high-power rifles under certain conditions in an effort to stem the flow of guns to Mexican drug cartels.

I’m surprised this hasn’t made a bigger splash in media pool, but I guess we have a two track mind: Anthony and debt, or NFL and NBA lockouts… 

I’m no gun nut one way or the other, but I figured it was worth signaling (and forgive me if this was already mentioned in another thread).

Signature 

I live in a world of lighthouses. However, my friends are living in sunny tranquility.

Posted: 18 July 2011 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2632
Joined  2011-04-24

I wasn’t aware that drug cartels got firearms from American shops, I suppose I could imagine it though. All of those states have fairly loose gun laws as it is.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 18 July 2011 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  158
Joined  2010-01-03
mid atlantic - 18 July 2011 04:50 PM

I wasn’t aware that drug cartels got firearms from American shops, I suppose I could imagine it though. All of those states have fairly loose gun laws as it is.

let alone the ATF!

Signature 

I live in a world of lighthouses. However, my friends are living in sunny tranquility.

Posted: 19 July 2011 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Why should the cartels bother getting guns in American shops when the BATF is perfectly willing to sell them to the Drug Lords in a bungled sting operation? (And why was the BATF surprised that these people were using these weapons to kill people? Who did they think they were dealing with? The Girl Scouts???)

I’m very pro gun rights but Heavens to Mergatroid, if the BATF wants to sell guns, how about offering them to the Good Guys instead of vicious criminal organizations who are so flush with cash that they can get anything they want from anywhere on the face of this planet no matter what restrictions are in place???

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 19 July 2011 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

Higher profits?

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 19 July 2011 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

Higher profits?

Gotta pay off the national debt somehow! shut eye

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 19 July 2011 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

True.  You’d think they’d have gone with a more respectable business like pimping or drug dealing though.  Ah well.  People like guns too.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 20 July 2011 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-03-12

True.  You’d think they’d have gone with a more respectable business like pimping or drug dealing though.

Yeah, but this is the government we’re talking about here! wink

Signature 

Posted: 20 July 2011 01:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  4416
Joined  2008-08-14

It’s a known fact that Mexican cartels obtain a large, majority percentage of their weapons from the US.  I don’t have the figure but if you wish to dispute it, look it up.
The law that passed basically says that people purchasing multiple assault weapons must be reported to the ATF. I don’t see anything wrong with this. Every time a gun is purchased in this country the ATF is notified through background checks by the seller to the ATF.(this excludes private sales.)
As long as you aren’t a conspiracy theorist believing in some wacky govt. plan to track and record all gun owners for eventual rounding up of guns and internment camps..you should be just fine.

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!