8 of 10
Rebecca Watson - Skepticism and Feminism
Posted: 25 July 2011 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6160
Joined  2009-02-26

An eminently reasonable observation…. cheese

If I, as a man was confined in a small place with a 250 lb man who propositioned me, I would feel more than uncomfortable.
Thus for a woman to be in a similar position, I can well understand her discomfort. If it was worthy of a podcast… rolleyes ?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 25 July 2011 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-07-23
Write4U - 25 July 2011 02:11 PM

If I, as a man was confined in a small place with a 250 lb man who propositioned me, I would feel more than uncomfortable.
Thus for a woman to be in a similar position, I can well understand her discomfort. If it was worthy of a podcast… rolleyes ?

I’m a short arse and I fancy taller women does that mean I’m exempt from this law?

Posted: 25 July 2011 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
brucep - 25 July 2011 04:41 PM

I’m a short arse and I fancy taller women does that mean I’m exempt from this law?

I’m sure her level of discomfort would be lower, so you would indeed have an advantage….. wink

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 25 July 2011 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

I cannot imagine anyone being displeased by flattery. There were several occasions where I paid a total female stranger a compliment on a physical feature, i.e hair, eyes, hands, ankles, feet, dressmode, or elegance of movement. Of course I did not follow this up with a proposition, thus allowing the person to drop a reflexive defense and enjoy the moment.

[ Edited: 25 July 2011 09:12 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 26 July 2011 02:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

It wasn’t initially a podcast. It was initially a comment thrown out as an aside, on a video she made about her trip to Dublin. The ensuing overblown kerfuffle is what eventually turned it into (several) podcasts, each with its own position—none of them present at the initial incident, and very few who listened to the original video.. shut eye

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 26 July 2011 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Another little tragicomedy…... shut eye

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 26 July 2011 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-07-26

I enjoy Point of Inquiry because it’s usually an oasis away from left/right partisanship.  Simple, cold, linear logic.  So I was not pleased to hear this week’s garden variety left wing claptrap.  Note that Ms. Watson wasn’t complaning about any objective reality, but rather her subjective perception of it.  Utter nonsense.  Others should remain silent for fear of offending this delicate flower.  I would hope that feminism is about an empowered woman who can speak up for herself.  Oh, and there is no right to not be offended.  For example, I may be offended by the speech of joyless harridans but I fully support their right to scold as they choose.

Posted: 26 July 2011 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
Total Posts:  1474
Joined  2009-10-21
lpointmpoint - 26 July 2011 04:25 AM

Oh, and there is no right to not be offended.

I don’t recall her ever asking for this right to be defended. Her tone in the original video had the sense of an explanation to the many bumbling men who are incapable of executing a decent pick-up line. If you are not in that category, she wasn’t addressing you. The most likely place men will learn this is in school. Their friends will observe them or listen to their stories and offer advice. Nerds who don’t have friends who are successful at picking up girls don’t get that chance.

What this mess has highlighted is a very old problem. There is no universal standard of ethics that applies to all situations. As I began to select causes to work on in my 20’s, I was surprised to find that although someone might agree with me that we needed to clean up polluted rivers, they might not agree with my views on race relations. I might find partners who want to end one war or another, but for very different reasons. I can describe an underlying value system for why I do the things I do, so when someone is standing beside me at a soup kitchen and says something demeaning about women, I can’t figure out what their values are.

I’m trying to embrace the diversity and let people be who they are. There is a talk over at Center Stage that addresses in relation to the trends in atheism. Only a small percentage of people use the strong atheism label, and they are probably the leaders of the movement. But if they don’t find a way to embrace some of the 75% of people who didn’t go to church this Sunday, the movement will continue to spin it’s wheels.

Posted: 26 July 2011 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2006-10-26
Contradiction - 24 July 2011 11:50 AM

However, I definitely appreciate many aspects of the idea of having air marshals stationed everywhere, constantly, and I will look into it should I ever become an insane, tyrannical monarch.

“Air marshal” was a joke. Sorry it doesn’t always come across well in text.

Posted: 26 July 2011 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
deidzoeb - 26 July 2011 05:28 PM
Contradiction - 24 July 2011 11:50 AM

However, I definitely appreciate many aspects of the idea of having air marshals stationed everywhere, constantly, and I will look into it should I ever become an insane, tyrannical monarch.

“Air marshal” was a joke. Sorry it doesn’t always come across well in text.

I think Contradiction got the joke. Seems s/he just expounded on the thought…... cheese

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 26 July 2011 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Axegrrl - 25 July 2011 04:51 AM
n8r0n - 23 July 2011 03:25 PM

Should I ever have an erection, and then think of you at the same time, you will surely cause it to crawl back up into my body cavity.

`
Uh, to crawl ‘back’ up into your body cavity?  are you suggesting that that’s its usual home?  wink

`

Why did that give me a visual of a chameleon?.. cheese

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 26 July 2011 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2011-07-19
Write4U - 26 July 2011 05:47 PM

I think Contradiction got the joke. Seems s/he just expounded on the thought…... :cheese:

No, I didn’t~ Wasn’t it your (deidzoeb’s) serious recommendation for a way to improve people’s safety?

However, on rereading, perhaps what I wrote came across as very sarcastic?  I just thought that having police officers standing around in every elevator all of the time was a funny image.

My university has a free ‘Safewalk’ service where you can call student volunteers at night and they’ll walk with you across campus.  So it’s not like that general category of “having someone around at night” is stupid.  But undercover police officers in the elevator is a little over the top. :)

[ Edited: 26 July 2011 10:51 PM by Contradiction ]

Posted: 27 July 2011 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2006-10-26
Contradiction - 26 July 2011 10:49 PM
Write4U - 26 July 2011 05:47 PM

I think Contradiction got the joke. Seems s/he just expounded on the thought…... cheese

No, I didn’t~ Wasn’t it your (deidzoeb’s) serious recommendation for a way to improve people’s safety?

There are a lot of posts coming and going on this thread, so you might have missed when I wrote: ’ “Air marshal” was a joke. Sorry it doesn’t always come across well in text.’

Posted: 30 July 2011 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-02-14

It’s remarkable to me that RW, who’s supposed to be a skeptical and
feminist leader, can write what she did about Richard Dawkins (her The
Privilege Delusion post), and THAT isn’t what people are riled up about—
instead of her remarks about the elevator incident and Dawkins’ response to
them. Playing lots of “name that logical fallacy” and becoming a feminist don’t
seem to have prepared her to handle the situation at all well.

Posted: 30 July 2011 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-07-30

Skepchick reminds me of the girl in this cartoon (the imaginary one, not the real one, the real ones lose out because of experiences guys have with girls like Skepchick):
creepy.png

That said, while I think her attitude of getting offended every time a guy flirts with her or hots on her, the elevator guy was probably purposely trying to goad her/get a rise out of her, and boy did he succeed!

8 of 10