Jaco Gericke - Confessions of a Died-Again Christian
Posted: 25 July 2011 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2009-06-02

Host: Robert Price

A couple of student hecklers once reproved Marlowe’s Dr. Faustus: “Faustus! Plumb the depths of that which you profess!” Many evangelical Christians have buckled down to study apologetics or biblical studies in just that spirit—and wound up not professing any more! Their stories are often eerily similar yet always fascinating!

And such a delver was Jaco Gericke. First he read the “safe” stuff, then the books they warned him not to read, and then everything else! Today Dr. Gericke is on the faculty of Humanities at North-West University in South Africa. He holds the Doctor of Letters degree in Semitic Languages and a Ph.D. in Old Testament with a specialization in Philosophy of Religion.

He is the author of dozens of published papers and conference presentations. One of his essays, “Can God Exist if Yahweh Doesn’t?” appears in the new John W. Loftus anthology, The End of Christianity from Prometheus Books. His quest is strikingly similar to that of Point of Inquiry host Robert M. Price, who interviews him here. You’re welcome to come and compare notes.

http://www.pointofinquiry.org/jaco_gericke_confessions_of_a_died-again_christian/

Posted: 25 July 2011 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2384
Joined  2007-07-05

@22:00

Your Christian ethics destroys your Christian dogma.  LOL

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 03 August 2011 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-08-03

Thanks so much for this interview - I found it immensely cathartic. And yeah, that ethics-vs-dogma quote pretty much nails it! That’s exactly how I found my way out of Evangelical Christianity too, via my own desire for what I thought would be a deeper faith. Ah, irony.

Posted: 04 August 2011 04:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

This was a great listen. I found much common ground with Jaco in my own personal journey from Fundamentalism to Agnosticism.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 04 August 2011 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
FreeInKy - 04 August 2011 04:42 AM

This was a great listen. I found much common ground with Jaco in my own personal journey from Fundamentalism to Agnosticism.

Nevermind…

[ Edited: 04 August 2011 07:52 AM by traveler ]
 Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 04 August 2011 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Thanks for the PM and the favor, traveler. BTW - I love your sig lines. My term for Fox News is “Faux News.” smile

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 04 August 2011 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
FreeInKy - 04 August 2011 08:07 AM

Thanks for the PM and the favor, traveler. BTW - I love your sig lines. My term for Fox News is “Faux News.” smile

Anytime, friend.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 16 August 2011 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-07-29

Gericke said: “People who suffer from this should get together and start something like ‘Fundamentalists Anonymous.’”

Unfortunately, neither he nor Price seems to have been aware of Darrell Ray’s “Recovering Religionists” organization (http://www.recoveringreligionists.com). Ray (author of _The God Virus_) started RR as an equivalent to AA for fundamentalists, and he’s trying to establish RR groups throughout the country. Start one in your area!

Posted: 18 April 2012 07:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-04-18

I’ve only just listened to this great podcast episode, so am only now posting. Maybe someone will pick up on these questions. The questions I have for Bob and/or Dr Gericke are:

How do they explain their original born-again conversion experiences now that they have made the journey to atheism, in particular if those experiences were powerfully spiritual in nature, i.e., “paranormal”?

Dr. Gericke’s explanation of his experiences seemed to me to suggest some either/or thinking, as if he felt that he either had to be a believer or an atheist. For example he remarked that liberal mainstream Christian theology had a “vague” understanding of God that was unsatisfying to him. He seemed to be motivated by a need for certainty and discomfort with ambiguity (see, e.g., Chris Mooney’s more recent podcasts on the psychology of political conservatism). How would he respond to this observation?

Did either Bob or Dr. Gericke ever consider Eastern Christian (Eastern Orthodox, Coptic Orthodox, et al) theology, whose epistemology is radically different from any form of Western Christianity, and whose theology, while positively Christian, also has a heavy emphasis on apophaticism?  (Disclaimer: I am Eastern Orthodox.)

Just to clarify, I’m not looking for an argument here, and don’t have time to engage in one. I’m asking because I’m curious, but I will admit that Eastern Christian theology does provide me a way out of many of the dichotomies that I see in the believer vs. atheism discussions. Also, I’m in complete agreement about the delusions of fundamentalism.