More Prejudice….
Posted: 26 July 2011 03:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100126111953.htm    There is an old stereotype that people in a certain group recognize each other more effciently than people who are not in that group.  This study was done last year.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 26 July 2011 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

I’m a little skeptical that Asians are worse at distinguishing negative emotions. I feel like there might be a methodological flaw in that part of the experiment. Being able to distinguish fear from surprise and disgust from anger seems like it would be important for survival and thus would be selected for. And more pertinently, why would Asians be able to express these separate emotions if they weren’t able to distinguish them in each other? Or are they not able to express these emotions separately? If that’s the case, that should be mentioned.

On an unrelated note, why doesn’t sciencedaily cite the papers they’re writing about?

[ Edited: 26 July 2011 03:44 PM by domokato ]
 Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 26 July 2011 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

Before coming to Canada from Spain, I had only seen very few Asians and even less blacks. Upon my arrival in Canada I remember having some difficulty telling individuals of different races apart, but it only lasted a few months or so. It’s strange.

Posted: 26 July 2011 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

You’ve lived all over the place George, haven’t you? wink  I have never heard of any research being done into this weird thing before this, I’ve always wondered if there was anything biological to it.

Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2011 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

Also I love how they use the unscientific term “Caucasian” for Europeans, but they would not dare call Asians “Mongoloids”. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 27 July 2011 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26

Remember MA: Negroid, Mongoloid = Offensive, Caucasian = Acceptable.  Personally though, I find the word “Caucasian” deeply offensive.  I prefer honky or cracker.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 27 July 2011 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

Most people use the term “Caucasian” incorrectly. Caucasian race also includes Arabs and Indians (from India) but most people use it to mean “whites.”

Posted: 27 July 2011 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Dead Monky - 27 July 2011 09:02 AM

Remember MA: Negroid, Mongoloid = Offensive, Caucasian = Acceptable.  Personally though, I find the word “Caucasian” deeply offensive.  I prefer honky or cracker.

I love the Hypocrisy!  Technically, you can’t be a honky or a cracker, DM - cracker is a poor white from Georgia,  and a Honky is actually George!!!!  (No offence George).

Signature 

Posted: 27 July 2011 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 27 July 2011 11:25 AM

Most people use the term “Caucasian” incorrectly. Caucasian race also includes Arabs and Indians (from India) but most people use it to mean “whites.”

Yes, good point;  However, I thought the term was considered unscientific.

Signature 

Posted: 27 July 2011 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26
mid atlantic - 27 July 2011 03:29 PM

I love the Hypocrisy!  Technically, you can’t be a honky or a cracker, DM - cracker is a poor white from Georgia,  and a Honky is actually George!!!!  (No offence George).

Nah, George is a “hunky”.  “Honky” is the slutty offspring of hunky used to refer to white people in general.

But I’ll also accept “whitey” if the other two don’t cut it for you.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 27 July 2011 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  5176
Joined  2010-06-16

There are all sorts of pejoratives used for different groups.  A few years ago I was on Kauai and stopped at a nursery to ask about an unusual plant.  The young Japanese lady who owned the nursery suggested that the only place I might get that was from a specific nursery on Maui.  I said I didn’t care to go to that island.  She asked why, and I said, “Too many haoulis there.”  This cracked her up coming from someone with underpigmented, northern European skin.  That term is what Hawaiians call low pigmentation people (I’ll avoid, white, caucasian, etc.)

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 27 July 2011 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Occam. - 27 July 2011 06:41 PM

There are all sorts of pejoratives used for different groups.  A few years ago I was on Kauai and stopped at a nursery to ask about an unusual plant.  The young Japanese lady who owned the nursery suggested that the only place I might get that was from a specific nursery on Maui.  I said I didn’t care to go to that island.  She asked why, and I said, “Too many haoulis there.”  This cracked her up coming from someone with underpigmented, northern European skin.  That term is what Hawaiians call low pigmentation people (I’ll avoid, white, caucasian, etc.)

Occam

What was your response? If you were offended, it would have been interesting to know if she, as an Asian had difficulty detecting negative emotion on a European face, like the article suggests.

Signature 

Posted: 28 July 2011 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
mid atlantic - 27 July 2011 07:56 PM

Occam

What was your response? If you were offended, it would have been interesting to know if she, as an Asian had difficulty detecting negative emotion on a European face, like the article suggests.

The article did not specify that the faces in that part of the experiment were European, although it would make sense to assume so, although then I would have to ask why they didn’t test the other way around as well.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 28 July 2011 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
domokato - 28 July 2011 09:45 AM
mid atlantic - 27 July 2011 07:56 PM

Occam

The article did not specify that the faces in that part of the experiment were European, although it would make sense to assume so, although then I would have to ask why they didn’t test the other way around as well.

Good Point.

Signature