The Making of the Fittest
Posted: 26 October 2006 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

Has anybody here read [i:55d0be5b6e]The Making of the Fittest: DNA and the Ultimate Forensic Record of Evolution[/i:55d0be5b6e] by Sean B. Carroll? I really enjoyed Dawkins’s [i:55d0be5b6e]The Ancestors Tale[/i:55d0be5b6e] which left me wanting to read more about evolution and natural selection.

Anybody?

Posted: 26 October 2006 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

Not familiar with it, but on a glance it looks interesting. Give it a shot and let us know!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 26 October 2006 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2006-04-08

He was interviewed in this week’s Scientific American podcast, and it sounded interesting.  I plan on checking it out.

Posted: 26 October 2006 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

I am definitely getting this book!

This is what I found on Amazon.com:

For example, the Antarctic ice fish today has no red blood cells; yet a fossilized gene for hemoglobin remains in its DNA, showing that the fish has adapted over 55 million years by losing the red blood cells that thicken blood and make it harder to pump in extreme cold. The fish has developed other features that allow it to absorb and circulate blood without hemoglobin…

What a splendid idea (discovery)! A fossilized gene as a proof of evolution. I wonder what a creationist would have to say to that. “Well, the (fossilized) hemoglobin gene forms part of the fish’s DNA because…..”, because what? :twisted:

Posted: 26 October 2006 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2006-02-08

The Antarctic Ice Fish

[quote author=“George Benedik”]I am definitely getting this book!

This is what I found on Amazon.com:

For example, the Antarctic ice fish today has no red blood cells; yet a fossilized gene for hemoglobin remains in its DNA, showing that the fish has adapted over 55 million years by losing the red blood cells that thicken blood and make it harder to pump in extreme cold. The fish has developed other features that allow it to absorb and circulate blood without hemoglobin…

What a splendid idea (discovery)! A fossilized gene as a proof of evolution. I wonder what a creationist would have to say to that. “Well, the (fossilized) hemoglobin gene forms part of the fish’s DNA because…..”, because what? :twisted:

George,

I remember reading about this unusual fish in the September/October issue of Skeptical Inquirer. It’s a fascinating read.

Bob Reasoner

Posted: 27 October 2006 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2006-04-10

recent lecture (mp3): http://www.nyas.org/snc/podcasts.asp

(october 20th)