2 of 4
Whence sense of humor?
Posted: 28 July 2011 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5184
Joined  2010-06-16

To respond to an earlier post, as a male I detest the Three Stooges because their “humor” is based on hurting one another.  On the other hand, The Marx Brothers were great because they based their humor on puns and unexpected silliness.  Laurel and Hardy were enjoyable because Hardy usually put down Laurel, but ended up with egg on his face instead. 

While it’s an unscientific observation, it seems to me that conservatives find humor that puts someone down or demonstrates the inferiority of the butt of the joke worthwhile, while liberals seem to enjoy puns and self-depreciating humor more.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 28 July 2011 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

That’s an interesting comment on the humor of liberals and conservatives, maybe liberals are masochists, and conservatives are sadists wink . Many of the famous stand ups are masochists.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 28 July 2011 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Self-deprecating humor is important for stand-up because it gets people to sympathize with you, which reduces the chance of heckling. Not to mention oneself is one of the few joke targets that won’t offend anyone in the audience.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 28 July 2011 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
domokato - 28 July 2011 06:25 PM

Self-deprecating humor is important for stand-up because it gets people to sympathize with you, which reduces the chance of heckling. Not to mention oneself is one of the few joke targets that won’t offend anyone in the audience.

They use it sometimes, but few famous stand up comics specialize in self deprecating humor. Deprecating someone else is usually the way. It’s an old truism that professional comics are often self hating pricks.

Signature 

Posted: 28 July 2011 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

I like humor based on the unexpected, the twist which takes you by surprise. I think it is the most intellectually challenging form of humor.
That is one of the reasons why I like Colbert. His entire “character” is logically contradictory.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/stephencolbert/a/colbertquotes.htm

‘‘Agnostics are just atheists without balls.’’ —Stephen Colbert LOL

[ Edited: 28 July 2011 08:30 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 28 July 2011 10:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

‘‘And that brings us to tonight’s word: Truthiness. Now I’m sure some of the word-police, the ‘wordanistas’ over at Websters, are gonna say, ‘Hey, that’s not a word!’ Well, anybody who knows me knows that I am no fan of dictionaries or reference books. They’re elitist. Constantly telling us what is or isn’t true, what did or didn’t happen…’’ —Stephen Colbert

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 29 July 2011 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  3024
Joined  2010-04-26
Occam. - 28 July 2011 05:18 PM

While it’s an unscientific observation, it seems to me that conservatives find humor that puts someone down or demonstrates the inferiority of the butt of the joke worthwhile, while liberals seem to enjoy puns and self-depreciating humor more.

I like both.  Does that mean I’m a moderate, a flip-flopper, or apolitical? LOL  Really though, I don’t think that’s true.  I’ve come across plenty of fans of both on both sides of the political spectrum.  Now moderates, moderates are all about the knock-knock jokes.  Especially dirty ones.  tongue wink

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 29 July 2011 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2009-05-10
mid atlantic - 28 July 2011 06:55 PM

They use it sometimes, but few famous stand up comics specialize in self deprecating humor. Deprecating someone else is usually the way. It’s an old truism that professional comics are often self hating pricks.

That’s true, but it has to be balanced. You can’t make fun of others without praising them in other ways or making fun of yourself too.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 29 July 2011 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25

To respond to an earlier post, as a male I detest the Three Stooges because their “humor” is based on hurting one another. 

Their humor is based on making fun of people who hurt each other.  They make fun of people’s use physical violence as a way of expressing themselves.  They associate physical violence with stupidity, incompetence, and “stoogism.”

Posted: 29 July 2011 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

To respond to an earlier post, as a male I detest the Three Stooges because their “humor” is based on hurting one another.  On the other hand, The Marx Brothers were great because they based their humor on puns and unexpected silliness.  Laurel and Hardy were enjoyable because Hardy usually put down Laurel, but ended up with egg on his face instead. 
Occam

I share those sentiments.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 29 July 2011 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Dead Monky - 29 July 2011 09:04 AM

I like both.  Does that mean I’m a moderate, a flip-flopper, or apolitical? LOL  Really though, I don’t think that’s true.  I’ve come across plenty of fans of both on both sides of the political spectrum.  Now moderates, moderates are all about the knock-knock jokes.  Especially dirty ones.  tongue wink

I like the joke where you ask the other person to say knock knock.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 29 July 2011 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  5184
Joined  2010-06-16

But I have a door bell.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 29 July 2011 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 29 July 2011 05:12 PM

But I have a door bell.

Occam

LOL

Even though that is totally illogical it is funny. Perhaps that’s why it is funny.

[ Edited: 29 July 2011 06:17 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 30 July 2011 01:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
domokato - 29 July 2011 09:34 AM
mid atlantic - 28 July 2011 06:55 PM

That’s true, but it has to be balanced. You can’t make fun of others without praising them in other ways or making fun of yourself too.

Are you talking about in real life, or in show business.I think that you’re right in the case of real life, but not show biz.  A professional comic can slam anyone, except if it is blantently hateful, and can’t be ducked out of. Slamming people with humor is about hate, the crowd knows that and instinctivley responds to it. The comics who they they only make fun of the people who they like are sooooo full of shit, and they have to be full of it. Any comic with a high level of sophistication knows that they have to play the P.C. media game in order to keep getting paid, their fans know that also;  it’s only a game to please the smarmy white liberals who decide what’s right and wrong, so the comic’s cred is not hampered in the eyes of their fans. The stupidity of the public helps a lot, because they will accept anything in order to be amused.

Signature 

Posted: 31 July 2011 09:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2009-05-10

Can you give me an example of a comic who slams someone else or some other group without making it balanced? I think guys like Lewis Black and Bill Hicks may be like that, but I think that is more of the exception than the rule. And part of what’s funny about those hateful comics is that they are so unreasonably mad it’s funny. So the audience is mostly laughing at the comic’s character rather than at the subject of the joke.

For an example of an, IMO, usual case, I saw a Bill Burr special the other day and he makes fun of women but makes sure to fun of his (character’s) own homophobia at the same time. He also makes fun of Asians but praises them within the same joke. And he also admits he is an asshole early on so that the audience can disregard a lot of the insensitive stuff he says later on as him “just being an asshole” and laugh at it (him) instead. This is a similar concept to self-deprecating jokes.

Signature 

2 of 4