3 of 4
Whence sense of humor?
Posted: 31 July 2011 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24
domokato - 31 July 2011 09:06 PM

Can you give me an example of a comic who slams someone else or some other group without making it balanced? I think guys like Lewis Black and Bill Hicks may be like that, but I think that is more of the exception than the rule. And part of what’s funny about those hateful comics is that they are so unreasonably mad it’s funny. So the audience is mostly laughing at the comic’s character rather than at the subject of the joke.

For an example of an, IMO, usual case, I saw a Bill Burr special the other day and he makes fun of women but makes sure to fun of his (character’s) own homophobia at the same time. He also makes fun of Asians but praises them within the same joke. And he also admits he is an asshole early on so that the audience can disregard a lot of the insensitive stuff he says later on as him “just being an asshole” and laugh at it (him) instead. This is a similar concept to self-deprecating jokes.

I think Eddie Griffen , DL Hughley, Dave Attell, Nick Di Paolo, Alex Reymundo are all that type.  I have never really considered Lewis Black, and Bill Hicks to be that way though. IMO, Hicks ultimately seemed like a sad wimp, and Lewis Black seems like an older, annoyed guy who says what a lot of people think, they don’t seem that mean to me. You make a really good point about anger of some comics being funny.  Balance is in the eye of the beholder though, a comic has to press the right buttons on people and those buttons are not the same for everyone.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 01 August 2011 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  6162
Joined  2009-02-26

A taste of Lewis Black

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lewis+black&mid=937251B8CB6E9DE37C60937251B8CB6E9DE37C60&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1

http://comedians.jokes.com/lewis-black/videos/highlight—-black—-global-warming

[ Edited: 01 August 2011 12:21 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 12 August 2011 04:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
johnsabina - 12 August 2011 04:05 AM

Hi,

A sense of humor is, simply put, the ability to be amused. Most people have one, and are able to laugh at jokes, humorous situations, and a variety of other potential sources of amusement. In humans, it develops at a very early age, and is often considered to be a vital part of human development. Some animals also appear to find things funny, with the ability to enact jokes and comedies of their own. The sense of humor appears to be an important part of human survival.

I have seen many dogs who showed their pleasure or amusement with facial expressions. Consider the dogs begging pose, head tilted, ears half drooping eyebrows raised and eyes sooo sad, as to present an irresistible appearance. If succesful, this manipulation may even become artful… confused

[ Edited: 12 August 2011 02:25 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 14 August 2011 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-12-28
domokato - 31 July 2011 09:06 PM

Can you give me an example of a comic who slams someone else or some other group without making it balanced? I think guys like Lewis Black and Bill Hicks may be like that, but I think that is more of the exception than the rule. And part of what’s funny about those hateful comics is that they are so unreasonably mad it’s funny. So the audience is mostly laughing at the comic’s character rather than at the subject of the joke.

For an example of an, IMO, usual case, I saw a Bill Burr special the other day and he makes fun of women but makes sure to fun of his (character’s) own homophobia at the same time. He also makes fun of Asians but praises them within the same joke. And he also admits he is an asshole early on so that the audience can disregard a lot of the insensitive stuff he says later on as him “just being an asshole” and laugh at it (him) instead. This is a similar concept to self-deprecating jokes.

Bill Burr lol Hilarious!

Posted: 02 September 2012 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

This may be pertinent to some of the other threads, but it belongs here.

This is masterful performance in all respects.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c4Sbiyda6A&feature=related

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 02 September 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  3330
Joined  2011-11-04

I just found this thread.  I’m sorry that I missed it when it was most active.  Did anyone reference Samuel Clement’s assertion: “The secret source of Humor itself is not joy but sorrow. There is no laughter in heaven.”

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 02 September 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15
traveler - 28 July 2011 08:29 AM

I’m a little confused why this thread is under “Science and Technology”  Anyhooooooo…

HERE is an example of something our group probably finds humorous while many would not.  LOL

yea, thanks, i was looking for a good laugh.
and so nice and clean cut.

Then, that took me to this gal, got to know her a few years back, come across her now and then, always nice to see she’s still active. 
{you know - in that virtual world of The Cloud - that is}
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dyPiIcLK90* it’s not humor (this time), she’s a little irritated at the connection people presume with their Gods, but it was interesting listen for sure.

*That would be YouTube’s ZOMGitsCriss - If you’re not familiar with her… well, she’s fun to get to know. 
~ ~ ~

Next thing I’m musing on uses of humor in everyday lives. It’s quite the lubricant, in it’s own way it can even compete with money .

Seems humor helps in dealing with, breaking the ice… of taboos, confrontations, and such…

On a human face to face level, in situations of tension, that mutual belly laugh probably sends out all sorts of good hormones and such; that relief of tension; breaking some barrier; and moving on to what lays beyond - like getting on with each other and whatever job/activity lay ahead.

Seems to me we all have a bit of the nasty and bigot in us…
The important difference is in how seriously we take ourselves.
And that probably has to do with our sense of inner-security.

I’m a kraut, you’re a whatever, now can we get on with it.  cheese

Humor and what we find funny surely reflects some of our essence as a person.

[ Edited: 02 September 2012 03:54 PM by citizenschallenge.pm ]
 Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 02 September 2012 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

HERE is an example of something our group probably finds humorous while many would not.  LOL

That is a classic.  I suggest that anyone who has not clicked on the link, above, provided by Traveler, do so, to see “The Rational Anthem”.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 02 September 2012 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
TimB - 02 September 2012 04:31 PM

That is a classic.  I suggest that anyone who has not clicked on the link, above, provided by Traveler, do so, to see “The Rational Anthem”.

Oh, yes…!

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 02 September 2012 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

I had a friend who would expound on his “Cosmic Joke”, theory.  The theory stated that from some viewpoint, anything is funny, absolutely anything.  I’ve always liked the idea and it aligns nicely with dougsmith’s idea that humor is a corrective against people and subjects that are taken too seriously.  It is an especially import device for demeaning, (I choose this word with purpose), sanctimony.

Voltaire said, “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities”.  I think humor is an enormously important tool for detecting absurdities, and the wider ranging the more powerful it is.  The cosmic joke theory states that nothing is off limits.  I like it.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 04 September 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Jeciron - 02 September 2012 06:19 PM

... humor is a corrective against people and subjects that are taken too seriously.  It is an especially import device for demeaning, (I choose this word with purpose), sanctimony.

Voltaire said, “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities”.  I think humor is an enormously important tool for detecting absurdities, and the wider ranging the more powerful it is.  The cosmic joke theory states that nothing is off limits…

Certainly, that seems to be one active function of humor.  But I think that there is more to it. e.g., I think that humor can also help us modulate difficult emotions, and thereby, can help us to better traverse some of the difficult circumstances that occur in life.

It can also attract chicks (or perhaps more to the point, can help close interpersonal relationships function more smoothly).

Signature 

Posted: 04 September 2012 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

I’m not disagreeing with your point about humor modulating emotions, Tim, but, I’m not really sure I understand what you’re saying.  If you’re saying that humor somehow acts to limit the extremes of an immediate emotional response, I can’t quite envision that. Perhaps you wouldn’t mind elucidating?

I do think the knowledge that the promise that humor can be found to underlie most situations can ease the pain of a difficult moment, though, hence the saying, “Someday I’ll see the humor in this”.  And while I know there’s a common belief that humor can defuse a tense situation and believe there may be merit in this idea, I can’t come up with any easily remembered instances of this occurring in my life.  More often the response to humor in a tense situations has tended to be something along the lines of, “Do you think this is funny or something?”, or “Are you making fun of me?”.

Admittedly, my experiences may have to do with the fact that although I love humor and am completely fascinated by it, I’m very inept at it. 

My knee jerk, totally unsubstantiated theory, is that one type of humor is a byproduct of our ability to understand consequence, (by consequence I mean our ability to understand cause and effect).  We, as high functioning animals, have the universal startle response to danger that most animals have, but we also seem to have an odd, less dramatic, startle response to things behaving in unpredictable, but harmless ways.  We also like to be stimulated, (at least the less conservative of us), and I wonder if humor is not a method of stimulating that response.  This idea might explain why true conservatives tend not to be great comedians.  I think it is the cultivation of this type of humor that can enhance our ability to detect B.S..  I think there may be another type of humor, too, a way of dealing with tension, or uncomfortableness.  It’s why men being hit in the nuts is such a staple of Utube humor, which appears, to me, to be the type of humor more embraced by conservative personalities.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 04 September 2012 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

Personally I like jokes which misdirect the storyline and the punchline is totally unexpected and surprising. The recognition of having been fooled seems a common technique for comedians.  The double entendre is also effective, but requires a knowledgeable audience.
Stephen Cobert is extremely adept at it and rates high in my book. Bill Maher’s “new rules” (unexpected solutions to a problem) are also surprising and funny.

But many people also laugh when confronted with true tragedy. Why that is remains a mystery to me.

[ Edited: 04 September 2012 07:32 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 04 September 2012 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24
Jeciron - 04 September 2012 02:58 PM

We also like to be stimulated, (at least the less conservative of us), and I wonder if humor is not a method of stimulating that response.  This idea might explain why true conservatives tend not to be great comedians.

Can you give some examples of this?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 04 September 2012 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Jeciron - 04 September 2012 02:58 PM

I’m not disagreeing with your point about humor modulating emotions, Tim, but, I’m not really sure I understand what you’re saying.  If you’re saying that humor somehow acts to limit the extremes of an immediate emotional response, I can’t quite envision that. Perhaps you wouldn’t mind elucidating?..

I think that you elaborated on this in parts of your subsequent post, but examples could be in situations where persons are angry or frightened or even grieving, sometimes something occurs that leads to laughter, and the persons involved have respite, at least temporarily from the more difficult emotions.

Signature 

3 of 4