4 of 4
Whence sense of humor?
Posted: 05 September 2012 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

Thanks Tim, another expression that adds weight to your point is, “I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry”.  I guess it’s not an easy thing to describe how humor moderates emotions, at least not in a concise technical manner, but just the volume of idiomatic expressions that exist justify your position.

As far as giving examples of well known conservative comedians;  After a quick search of Google I have a sense of how frustrating it must be for believers to be asked to prove the existence of their God, and they have the resource of revealed knowledge to fall back on.  There seem to be few, and even the conservatives seem to be aware of this.  There is a school of “good ol boy”, humor, and those guys are pretty conservative.  I find a number of them pretty funny.  Certainly that group doesn’t seem to have the renown of more liberal types, but they do exist and not all their humor is based on insult and discomfort.  Thanks, (I guess), for calling me out on my B.S..  I hadn’t really checked into my statement.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 05 September 2012 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Humor is subversive. It’s often seen that way politically, and so one of the first things to go in an autocratic regime is true humor. For that reason I don’t think humor goes very well with conservatism, generally speaking.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 05 September 2012 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  6044
Joined  2009-02-26
dougsmith - 05 September 2012 04:47 AM

Humor is subversive. It’s often seen that way politically, and so one of the first things to go in an autocratic regime is true humor. For that reason I don’t think humor goes very well with conservatism, generally speaking.

IMO, the more open a society is, the greater variety and levels of abstract thought which stimulate the imaginative Arts , including presenting a human or natural drama in preposterous situations in which we all have found ourselves at one time or another. It allows us to laugh at ourselves and be free from responsibility or guilt.

[ Edited: 05 September 2012 05:12 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 05 September 2012 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2011-04-24
Jeciron - 05 September 2012 04:16 AM

As far as giving examples of well known conservative comedians;  After a quick search of Google I have a sense of how frustrating it must be for believers to be asked to prove the existence of their God, and they have the resource of revealed knowledge to fall back on.  There seem to be few, and even the conservatives seem to be aware of this.  There is a school of “good ol boy”, humor, and those guys are pretty conservative.  I find a number of them pretty funny.  Certainly that group doesn’t seem to have the renown of more liberal types, but they do exist and not all their humor is based on insult and discomfort.  Thanks, (I guess), for calling me out on my B.S..  I hadn’t really checked into my statement.

Well, there’s Ben Stein, Dennis Miller, Adam Sandler, Norm MacDonald, Nick Di Paolo; those are some that I could dig up.

Outside of Stein, I don’t know if these guys would identify as conservative, but they don’t consider themselves to be liberal.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 05 September 2012 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
dougsmith - 05 September 2012 04:47 AM

Some humor is subversive, and conservatism does not equal Autocracy.

Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2012 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Total Posts:  348
Joined  2006-11-27

No disrespect Mid, but you’re kind of proving my point for me.  It’s easy to come up with many self defined liberal comedians, and there is just no equivalent number of self defined conservatives.  Why is that so?  I don’t trust my own opinion to be very well informed, but there does seem to be a fairly obvious anomaly here.

Signature 

If we’re not laughing, they’re winning.

Posted: 05 September 2012 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04

Islam is a pretty autocratic religion, and though there are Muslims who are comedians, they are few and far between.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 05 September 2012 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Of course conservatives have a sense of humor. Why wouldn’t they? It’s just that their humor is, well, conservative, or, IOW, it hasn’t evolved much over the past hundred years. Bill O’Reilly would have been probably hilarious in 1925.

Has anybody ever watched “humor” on an Arab TV, for example? Funny. Funny, if it were 1670. Their humor is as funny as were the puppet shows in Middle-aged Europe. Peoples evolve at different pace and conservatives are simply a bit slower than the democrats. That’s why they are conservatives.

Posted: 05 September 2012 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
Jeciron - 05 September 2012 06:16 AM

No disrespect Mid, but you’re kind of proving my point for me.  It’s easy to come up with many self defined liberal comedians, and there is just no equivalent number of self defined conservatives.  Why is that so?  I don’t trust my own opinion to be very well informed, but there does seem to be a fairly obvious anomaly here.

Possibly the reason is fear that it may harm their careers, if they constantly bring it up.

Also, IMO at least, people who strongly self identify as liberals are really starved for attention.

Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2012 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 05 September 2012 06:55 AM

Of course conservatives have a sense of humor. Why wouldn’t they? It’s just that their humor is, well, conservative, or, IOW, it hasn’t evolved much over the past hundred years. Bill O’Reilly would have been probably hilarious in 1925.

Has anybody ever watched “humor” on an Arab TV, for example? Funny. Funny, if it were 1670. Their humor is as funny as were the puppet shows in Middle-aged Europe. Peoples evolve at different pace and conservatives are simply a bit slower than the democrats. That’s why they are conservatives.

I’m not familiar with Arab humor, but there are some Arab - American comics who are the same as many non Arab - American comics. 

http://arabcomedy.org/news/festival-bios.shtml

Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2012 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Many times people’s statements are subtly fallacious in terms of critical thinking.  One of the easiest ways to demonstrate their errors is by humor, often by reduction to the absurd.  Another value of humor is to gently (sometimes not so gently) deflate pomposity. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

4 of 4