1 of 2
Riddle for creative skeptics
Posted: 11 August 2011 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6012
Joined  2009-02-26

From a little story I wrote,

This is a scene from a dream in my story.
  “When my turn came, I confidently approached the queen, head held high and striding purposefully. Near the throne I bowed deeply and lowered myself on one knee to convey my deep respect and desire to serve my queen to the best of my ability. I announced myself as Sir Robert deHolland and in a firm voice asked how I might please Her Majesty. Queen Brenda touched my face with her feather fan and whispered in a low voice, “ Sir Robert, can you tell me if it is colder upstairs than in the winter?”

Can anyone answer the riddle?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 12 August 2011 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

Yes.

raspberry

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 12 August 2011 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
TromboneAndrew - 12 August 2011 02:31 AM

Yes.

raspberry

do tell…

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 12 August 2011 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2010-04-22

Simple. Anyone can answer the riddle. Rightly or wrongly.

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 12 August 2011 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
TromboneAndrew - 12 August 2011 04:13 AM

Simple. Anyone can answer the riddle. Rightly or wrongly.

Sorry, I did not create enough background. The suitor who answers the question to the queen’s satisfaction, gets to marry her…..and she is desirable…. tongue rolleye

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 13 August 2011 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4447
Joined  2008-08-14

“ Sir Robert, can you tell me if it is colder upstairs than in the winter?”

Is it colder upstairs now, than in the winter?
Is the upstairs colder normally than the winter is generally?

Signature 

Row row row your boat gently down the stream.  Merrily Merrily merrily merrily life is but a dream!

Posted: 13 August 2011 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

The riddle requires an answer, not another question…. smile

p.s. The word “now” is not in the riddle.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 13 August 2011 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

OK, I’ll add another part of the story as background.

“By proclamation, the queen had announced that she was looking for a suitor. And in order to win her favor, the applicant had but to answer a simple riddle. The time limit for composing an acceptable answer was thirty seconds. As expected the line of hopeful suitors was long and I had plenty of time to compose myself and observe the proceedings.
One by one the knights and other noblemen, dressed in their finest outfits approached and kneeling before the throne would announce their name and title. The queen would bend down and behind the fan whisper the question in their ear. Some would look up at her in total confusion and utter incoherent sounds of dismay, while others would hurriedly start explanations of what sounded like an evaluation of the climates in the various parts of the world. Still others would think too long and not meet the time limit imposed by the queen. All were dismissed by a delicate gesture of the queen”.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 13 August 2011 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

A hint,

“My experiences had taught me that the most important object in analyzing a question is to determine the basic reason for the question itself. Immediately I perceived that the question was meaningless and therefore the response would have to be of a philosophical rather than of a scientific nature. Calmly collecting my thoughts I responded,  “......................................................................................................................................................”
  The ruby red lips behind the mask broke into a smile and Queen Brenda extended the feather fan to lightly stroke my ears and mouth. Then, offering the fan to me, she stood up and announced to the court, “ Sir Robert, in his wisdom has given me the only answer that would be acceptable to all who have pondered the question. I hereby proclaim him to be my suitor and he may sit by my side.”
    At this the crowd broke in loud cheering and the sounds of music was everywhere. I woke up to the dawn and outside Mardi Gras had begun”.

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 13 August 2011 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-04-22

Fine. I tend to find riddles like this to be annoying, primarily because there is often more than one “correct” answer. For example, all of the following answers would make sense, in a contorted way:

“My Queen, I can’t answer a nonsensical question.”
“Why don’t I take you upstairs and we find out?”
“Last night it certainly wasn’t.”
“Your feather fan is lovely.”

Signature 

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 13 August 2011 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
TromboneAndrew - 13 August 2011 02:45 PM

Fine. I tend to find riddles like this to be annoying, primarily because there is often more than one “correct” answer. For example, all of the following answers would make sense, in a contorted way:

“My Queen, I can’t answer a nonsensical question.”
“Why don’t I take you upstairs and we find out?”
“Last night it certainly wasn’t.”
“Your feather fan is lovely.”

OK, lest I annoy you further…. smile 

Calmly collecting my thoughts I responded,  “Your Majesty, be it upstairs or down, winter or fall, when and wherever you are, your radiance gives comfort to us all.”

It was just a dream after all…... cheese

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 13 August 2011 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  4745
Joined  2007-10-05

Hmmm… my thoughts were more along the lines of turning up the heat physically.  cheese

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 13 August 2011 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
DarronS - 13 August 2011 05:39 PM

Hmmm… my thoughts were more along the lines of turning up the heat physically.  cheese

Darron…. shut eye

This was in the age of chivalry!!!!............ rolleyes

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 17 August 2011 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  2384
Joined  2007-07-05
Write4U - 11 August 2011 04:10 PM

“When my turn came, I confidently approached the queen, head held high and striding purposefully. Near the throne I bowed deeply and lowered myself on one knee to convey my deep respect and desire to serve my queen to the best of my ability. I announced myself as Sir Robert deHolland and in a firm voice asked how I might please Her Majesty. Queen Brenda touched my face with her feather fan and whispered in a low voice, “ Sir Robert, can you tell me if it is colder upstairs than in the winter?”

YES!

From a strictly physics standpoint it could be colder upstairs in the summer than in the winter.  I’ll assume it is summer because of the way she asks the question.  In the winter there would be fires going in various parts of the castle.  But because of warm air rising due to convection the upper levels could get warmer than they might get in the summer because of thick stone walls and no fires.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 17 August 2011 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  4745
Joined  2007-10-05

Psikey, are you a 40-year-old virgin?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 17 August 2011 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
psikeyhackr - 17 August 2011 03:32 PM
Write4U - 11 August 2011 04:10 PM

YES!

From a strictly physics standpoint it could be colder upstairs in the summer than in the winter.  I’ll assume it is summer because of the way she asks the question.  In the winter there would be fires going in various parts of the castle.  But because of warm air rising due to convection the upper levels could get warmer than they might get in the summer because of thick stone walls and no fires.

psik

Read #7 and #8

LOL  LOL

Signature 

W4U

1 of 2

‹‹ Jackie Evancho!!!!!!!!!!!      STAR TREK ››