3 of 6
STAR TREK
Posted: 15 August 2011 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7540
Joined  2007-03-02
DarronS - 15 August 2011 08:40 PM

That’s pretty good MA. Are you familiar with Swine Trek?

Now that was funny.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 15 August 2011 10:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

I enjoyed all the Star Trek series, but I’m quite out of fashion in thinking DS9 the best of the series. The DS9 stories were very much more about people and less about techno-whizzy stuff. They relied less often on sci-fi magic. Two of the finest of all the Star Trek episodes were both DS9 episodes. In the first, Kira has to go to a moon of Bajor to talk some old coot out of his home to make way for an energy project. The whole show is about the interaction between the two, and it’s very good indeed. The second, probably the best single Star Trek episode ever, has a Cardassian show up on the station who ws apparently the commandant of the worst death camp of the Cardassian occupation of Bajor. Kira investigates his case, and there’s an absolutely shattering scene in which he confronts Kira and declares himself proud of his achievements, of the way that he terrorized the Bajorans, and that, no matter what they did to him, it would never bring back the thousands he killed. I have rarely seen anything this powerful on television. The ending is also shattering.

[A few minutes later] Oh, and don’t forget the one where they crash-land on a prison planet where the prisoners are forced to relive their mindless blood feud for all eternity, never being able to die.

Posted: 16 August 2011 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  2374
Joined  2007-07-05
Chris Crawford - 15 August 2011 10:31 PM

I enjoyed all the Star Trek series, but I’m quite out of fashion in thinking DS9 the best of the series.

No you’re not.  DS9 was the best Trek.  But it was the least Trekkish.  Maybe because it was stolen from JMS after he pitched Babylon 5 to Paramount.

Religion in Star Trek but not being politely ridiculed.  But with the Great Kai Winn.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 16 August 2011 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Joined  2007-07-05
DarronS - 15 August 2011 03:52 PM

And please check and see what universe we currently inhabit. I find myself agreeing with psikeyhacker: B5 is the best science fiction show of all time.

It must be the Fun House Mirror Universe.  LOL

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 16 August 2011 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14

Dunno, I never liked DS9, perhaps because as psik says, it was the least Trekkish. Always felt to me like they were trying to copy B5 without the depth and complexity of B5’s story line.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 August 2011 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  5493
Joined  2010-06-16

OH!!!!!!!  I guess I have to change my corrective lenses.  I kept wondering what everyone was talking about with BS (Bull S__T???) being a great SF series.  Just now I recognized that the “es” was really a five.  It was OK, but I could never get into it.  I’d rank it on the same level as Voyager but without 7 of 9.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 16 August 2011 02:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Thing about B5 is that it’s all in the story arc. If you just watch a few episodes out of place it wouldn’t work.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 16 August 2011 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
psikeyhackr - 16 August 2011 01:34 PM

I enjoyed all the Star Trek series, but I’m quite out of fashion in thinking DS9 the best of the series.

No you’re not.  DS9 was the best Trek.  But it was the least Trekkish.  Maybe because it was stolen from JMS after he pitched Babylon 5 to Paramount.

Religion in Star Trek but not being politely ridiculed.  But with the Great Kai Winn.

psik

I thought Enterprise was the least Trekkish and the worst.  It only had a claim to Star Trek because it put Vulcans in it, IMO.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 August 2011 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  2632
Joined  2011-04-24

On a slightly different note, did anyone see the recent Star Trek movie?  If so, do you think it stood up to the older movies?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 16 August 2011 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  5493
Joined  2010-06-16

I didn’t see it.  However, I strongly agree with Mriana’s evaluation in post #38.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 16 August 2011 07:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
Mriana - 16 August 2011 06:51 PM
psikeyhackr - 16 August 2011 01:34 PM

psik

I thought Enterprise was the least Trekkish and the worst.  It only had a claim to Star Trek because it put Vulcans in it, IMO.

Could be. I never saw Enterprise.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 17 August 2011 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2007-03-02
mid atlantic - 16 August 2011 07:17 PM

On a slightly different note, did anyone see the recent Star Trek movie?  If so, do you think it stood up to the older movies?

IMO, it was up there with the series Enterprise.  It just did not measure up to what I know as Star Trek.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 17 August 2011 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25

The original series Star Trek was a product of Gene Roddenberry and his writers.  They resisted what the “suits” (executives) were trying to make them do.  The latest Star Trek movie is a product of the Hollywood system.  This VIDEO is a funny look at how and why the latest Star Trek movie was made.

Posted: 17 August 2011 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Some of TNG was written by Gene too.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 17 August 2011 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2007-07-05
mid atlantic - 16 August 2011 07:17 PM

It may not have been as bad as the very first Star Trek movie.  That one tried to be deep and failed miserably.  That makes for really bad movies in my opinion.

The last Star Trek movie did not try to be deep and succeeded.

I think Star Trek says a lot about science fiction and Hollywood in general.  The very first pilot was excellent in my opinion, certainly for its day.  It was REAL SCIENCE FICTION and competition for literary sci-fi.  But it was rejected and called “too cerebral”.  A second pilot was made, which was unusual, and it was at least decent.  But the very first Trek episode that aired was that Salt Monster garbage.  I watched that the very first time it aired.  I figured Star Trek might be tolerable but not good.  Fortunately a lot of episodes were batter than that, but it says what Hollywood thinks of the sci-fi audience.

That episode was on the same level as Stargate SG-1.  I stopped watching that series in the second season.

Cowboys and Aliens is more of the same kind of crap.  Star Trek 2009 is better than Cowboys and Aliens 2011 but not very much.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

3 of 6

‹‹ Riddle for creative skeptics      ZAPPA ››