6 of 6
STAR TREK
Posted: 22 August 2011 05:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-07-05
Occam. - 20 August 2011 04:14 PM

As an aside, Majel was the either the first or science officer on the pilot that ran a year before TOS started.  By then the actor who played the captain had a different job so wasn’t available so they found Shatner.  Majel had not married Gene yet.

Occam

I read somewhere long ago that his wife was opposed to his doing a sci-fi show also.

The strange irony is that Jeffrey Hunter died in May of 1969.  The last episode of TOS aired in June of 1969.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 22 August 2011 06:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  7571
Joined  2007-03-02
psikeyhackr - 22 August 2011 05:22 PM
Occam. - 20 August 2011 04:14 PM

As an aside, Majel was the either the first or science officer on the pilot that ran a year before TOS started.  By then the actor who played the captain had a different job so wasn’t available so they found Shatner.  Majel had not married Gene yet.

Occam

I read somewhere long ago that his wife was opposed to his doing a sci-fi show also.

The strange irony is that Jeffrey Hunter died in May of 1969.  The last episode of TOS aired in June of 1969.

psik

It was probably Gene’s first wife who was opposed to it.  I’ve never heard of Majel being opposed to Star Trek or any other Sci-Fi.  In fact, when she found a couple sci-fi scripts of Gene’s after he died, she turned them into yet another sci-fi series- Andromeda (I think it was) and Earth Final Conflict.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 22 August 2011 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Joined  2007-07-05
Mriana - 22 August 2011 06:06 PM

It was probably Gene’s first wife who was opposed to it.  I’ve never heard of Majel being opposed to Star Trek or any other Sci-Fi.  In fact, when she found a couple sci-fi scripts of Gene’s after he died, she turned them into yet another sci-fi series- Andromeda (I think it was) and Earth Final Conflict.

I meant Jeffery Hunter’s wife.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 22 August 2011 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  7571
Joined  2007-03-02

OK.  I thought you meant Gene’s wife and I knew it couldn’t have been Majel.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 16 September 2011 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Joined  2007-07-05

Star Trek LIVE! “The Way To Eden”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhQbjoDx0p8

Yeah, I know.  It’s redundant.

But I just can’t not put it on a Star Trek thread.

Rap Trek LOL

And it really is SO SIXTIES!  I actually remember that “The Revolution will not be TELEVISED!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGaRtqrlGy8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gil_Scott-Heron

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 19 September 2011 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  3153
Joined  2011-08-15

Just read this thread, BIG Star trek fan, own all 78 of the original series, saw them when first aired
I LIKE THE SPACE HIPPIES. MAN cool grin

Cap’t jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 22 October 2011 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Joined  2007-07-05

I have started a bunch of Star Trek books over the decades and most of them I have not finished.  Even some I managed to finish I would not recommend.

But I went to a Trek site and saw a thread talking about the best Star Trek books.  I tried three.

Prime Directive by Judith and Garfield Reeves
The Wounded Sky by Diane Duane
Spock’s World by Diane Duane

I finished Prime Directive and Spock’s World.  Both were decent, I liked Spock’s World better.  It has two time lines, one is a history of Vulcan and the other is “current events” which involve characters from the Amok Time episode.  That is one of my favorites.

Wounded Sky isn’t bad, I may finish it.  It just kind of bothers me when stories go to deep into what I regard as most likely impossible physics.  I just can’t turn off my disbelief that far even for an entertaining story.

[1975]
psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 23 October 2011 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

As an aside, Majel was the either the first or science officer

Majel’s character in The Cage was the First Officer (The XO) of the Enterprise. It was a part that went away because NBC wasn’t able to accept the notion of a woman in a place of authority on a ship and they didn’t believe the general public would either.

My, how things have changed since then. Not only does the Star Trek universe have female captains and admirals, the real world does as well.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

6 of 6

‹‹ Riddle for creative skeptics      ZAPPA ››