Brennen’s Skeptical Vet Website Needs Your Help
Posted: 20 August 2011 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

See HERE:  Brennen’s SkeptVet seems to have been slimed by alt med believers on the crowd sourced ratings site Web Of Trust. His ratings are low for exactly those characteristics that make his site so useful: trustworthiness and reliability. For those few who don’t know, Brennen is a long-time Mod here at the Forum and has written articles for Science Based Medicine.

He and his site are some of the most trustworthy and reliable sources for info on veterinary medicine I know. If you agree, go to WOT and help him out.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 August 2011 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Done! I registered, rated, and commented there with username ransak.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 20 August 2011 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

For some reason people are only voting on the Trustworthiness issue, which leaves Brennen looking bad in the other two areas they rate. Personally, I know no reason why he should have low ratings in any of those areas.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 20 August 2011 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4836
Joined  2007-10-05

I registered under the name Doc Sarvis, gave Brennan’s site the highest marks, and left a review.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 20 August 2011 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

Thanks for the support guys! In a way, it’s probably a good sign that I’ve made enough of an impression for people to coordinate a virtual smear campaign against the site. Still, I wouldn’t want people looking for information on specific altmed topics to be scared off by the WOT rating. There are hundreds of sites selling vet woo, dozens promoting vet alt med ideology, and about five of us offering a critical perspective.

Thanks again!

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 20 August 2011 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
dougsmith - 20 August 2011 06:39 AM

For some reason people are only voting on the Trustworthiness issue, which leaves Brennen looking bad in the other two areas they rate. Personally, I know no reason why he should have low ratings in any of those areas.

Don’t understand that. I clicked all three with highest rating. Seemed obvious.

Don’t know if it helps, but I also checked the thumbs up “agree” buttons on the good reviews…

[ Edited: 20 August 2011 06:23 PM by traveler ]
 Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 21 August 2011 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  4349
Joined  2010-08-15

Hang in there mckenzievmd.

Doug thanks for the heads up.

Maybe keep us informed how it’s going, as this progresses, since to be honest not having pets, I’ve only visited the site a couple times out of curiosity, but it for sure seemed like the place to go for reliable information.  I’m sure if I were a pet person I’d spend a bunch more time there.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 24 August 2011 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-11-28

Thanks everybody for the positive ratings and the supportive comments! The site reputation has gone from Very Poor (based on 18 ratings) to Unsatisfactory (based on 45 ratings). Odd that half again as many positive ratings as negative ones still only moves the reputation to the middle of the range, but I think at least that should prevent the automatic warning when someone tries to navigate to the site via Facebook.

Science-Based Medicine only has 95 ratings, so I guess I’m doing better than I thought! grin

[ Edited: 24 August 2011 01:39 PM by mckenzievmd ]
 Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 24 August 2011 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
mckenzievmd - 24 August 2011 01:37 PM

Thanks everybody for the positive ratings and the supportive comments! The site reputation has gone from Very Poor (based on 18 ratings) to Unsatisfactory (based on 45 ratings). Odd that half again as many positive ratings as negative ones still only moves the reputation to the middle of the range, but I think at least that should prevent the automatic warning when someone tries to navigate to the site via Facebook.

Science-Based Medicine only has 95 ratings, so I guess I’m doing better than I thought! grin

I’m not sure that’s the number of ratings; I was assuming that was the ratings number (between 1 and 100). But at any rate it doesn’t really matter; the site should be better rated. If anyone reading this hasn’t given a look and a rating, they should.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 25 August 2011 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2006-11-28

I’m not sure that’s the number of ratings; I was assuming that was the ratings number (between 1 and 100).

Of course, that makes much more sense.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 28 August 2011 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I bookmarked the website. Since I have nine cats (And NO mice!) in my home, I have a vested interest in having at my beck and call a source of reliable science based information. Hell, of the Alternative Medicine crowd is slamming it, it’s got to be good!

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 02 October 2011 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  4349
Joined  2010-08-15

so how are things going in the website rating wars. . .  er, struggles?

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 02 October 2011 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-11-28

Pretty good. Enough folks rated the site to bring my “Trustworthiness” rating to 65%. Still pretty low, but above the threashold that triggers the “This site has a poor reputation!” popup warning. Sily to be worrying about what some arbitrary, crowdsourced ratings site says, but given the limited access we skeptics have to the media, any impediment is a rpoblem.

Thanks again, everybody, for helping out!!

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 02 October 2011 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
mckenzievmd - 02 October 2011 02:33 PM

Pretty good. Enough folks rated the site to bring my “Trustworthiness” rating to 65%. Still pretty low, but above the threashold that triggers the “This site has a poor reputation!” popup warning. Sily to be worrying about what some arbitrary, crowdsourced ratings site says, but given the limited access we skeptics have to the media, any impediment is a rpoblem.

Thanks again, everybody, for helping out!!

Glad to hear we’ve made at least a little difference. Anyone seeing this thread for the first time ... take a look and chip in if you agree!

Signature 

Doug