“On-Fire” Athiest!
Posted: 21 August 2011 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-08-21

Hello friends!

I’m a 34 year old born again, on-fire athiest. It’s important for me to identify myself that way because I was raised in an “on-fire” family of baptists. I was the dude in high school who was always going to bible studies and preaching to anyone who would listen. Once I got out on my own after high school I began to spend a lot of time in deep thought on the nature of god and I gradually became an agnostic. It’s only been in the last couple years that I’ve felt comfortable calling myself an athiest, but it was reading Dawkins and some other great authors lately that has awakened this fiery passion my brain (not soul).

The funny thing is, I always felt socially oppressed for my beliefs as a young lad but now I have a taste of what oppression truly feels like. It’s never difficult to find a group of people to worship god with, but just try to find a place to go where you can socialize with a group of enlightened athiests who share a strong moral center! At best, you can find some good people who are ambivalent about religion.

Well, since there’s no neighborhood “religion free zone” for me to hang out in around here I decided to look on the net and I found you guys. I think we will be able to get along just fine!

-Jason

Signature 

It is no measure of mental health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society -Krishnamurti

Posted: 21 August 2011 08:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2010-09-07

Welcome aboard, On-Fire. You sure are going to find companionship around these parts. Remember that happiness comes from associating with like-minded people. So please feel free to hop right in and fire on.

Signature 

If you see God, tell Him I’m looking for Him.

Posted: 22 August 2011 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14

Cheers and welcome to the CFI Forum, Jason. I think you’ve found the right place here.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 22 August 2011 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

Welcome Jason! I can identify with your past. You will find good company here.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 22 August 2011 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Good to have you here, Jason.  While in So. Calif. and Bay Area, it’s not too hard to find groups who have agnostic/atheist members or at least are quite at ease with people who have those ideas, I can sympathize with you and most of our members who live in theistic/atheistic wastelands.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 22 August 2011 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Jason.  Glad to have you here.  Feel free to jump right and join us in the various discussions.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 26 August 2011 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  3264
Joined  2011-08-15

Welcome Jason!  I’m new here too and suffer from the same problem.  In my town there are three declared athiests and an agnostic.  Our circle is small indeed but we’re now in the sea of scepticism and it fells great!  Dive in!

Cpt’n Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 22 November 2011 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-11-22

Come on Jackie boy? Do me and Dustin not count? Hehe… That and there’s more than just us.. You be surprised how many.

Signature 

Veritas Vos Liberbit

‹‹ hello everyone!      Thoreauvian ››