No 13
Total Votes: 30
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Are you baptized?
Posted: 24 August 2011 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5498
Joined  2010-06-16

At the insistance of my grandmother and aunt my mother had me baptized when I was about two weeks old.  I didn’t even know it had happened until my mother happened to mention it after I was an adult. 

Oh, and I guess a way to get unbaptized would be to urinate in the “holy” water.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 28 August 2011 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I barely remember being baptized as a child. Since Mom and Dad were Christians, and i was an infant, I didn’t get a vote in the question.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 30 August 2011 08:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20
mid atlantic - 24 August 2011 06:18 PM

That’s not suprising, that no one could give you an answer; was your family only doing it for appereances?  I think that was the only reason I was baptized!  My parents were non practicing, so I dodged alot of that stuff.

Why’d they do it?  Tradition, appearances, and a sense of obligation I suppose.  My parents were no more than moderately religious, my mother had me attended church and took me there only until I was old enough to walk myself, then she stopped attending.  My father didn’t attend on Sundays, the only thing he ever said about religion was that he like to attend the midnight Christmas mass because it was so beautiful, a sentiment that I always liked.

Occam. - 24 August 2011 11:20 PM

I didn’t even know it had happened until my mother happened to mention it after I was an adult. 

... Oh, and I guess a way to get unbaptized would be to urinate in the “holy” water.  LOL

Oh those skeletons in the closet.  tongue wink   The Holy Water is so dirty with everyone sticking their fingers in the water to bless themselves, I don’t think anyone would notice what you did.  LOL

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 30 August 2011 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
Occam. - 24 August 2011 11:20 PM

Oh, and I guess a way to get unbaptized would be to urinate in the “holy” water.  LOL

Occam

No way. The water has a memory of being wine at some point in its past - homeopathy for all!

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 30 August 2011 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  5498
Joined  2010-06-16

Yeah, but. . .  but. . . I’d just be giving back what they splashed on me.  After all, my urine would also have a memory of be “holy”.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 30 August 2011 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  7540
Joined  2007-03-02

I don’t know.  Depends on how you look at it.  My minister great uncle baptized me in a river at my mother’s request when I was 14.  My grandparents were Church of God and my great uncle a Free Methodist minister, who always united as one family church at such things.  My great uncle told me that the world would look different after he baptized me, which I really didn’t want in the first place, but had no choice and I sure as hell didn’t want the world to look different.  I wanted it to stay the same.  So he dunks me “In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit” in the river.  The world looked the same, thank goodness, and all I got was swimmer’s ear.

So depending on how you look at it, depending on what Xian sect you grew up in, the answer is no, because I didn’t want it or request it OR the answer is yes, despite the fact I didn’t want it.  Some Xians say the very fact that it was not a voluntary baptism makes it null and void, and I was not baptized.  Others call it a baptism.  Y’all decide, because I really don’t care.  It has no meaning to me now.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 30 August 2011 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Occam. - 30 August 2011 10:59 AM

Yeah, but. . .  but. . . I’d just be giving back what they splashed on me.  After all, my urine would also have a memory of be “holy”.

Occam

So, wine, urine, and holy water - the Holy Trinity.  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2011 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29
psikeyhackr - 23 August 2011 03:35 PM

No!  I went to Catholic schools but getting baptized meant going to baptismal class.

I would not stay after school to put up with nuns more than necessary.

Then I started reading science fiction at age 9 and decided I was an agnostic at 12.

psik

You may want to check on this with your parents, Psik. Maybe it’s different in the U.S., but in Canada one has to be baptized in order to be allowed to attend Catholic schools.

Posted: 30 August 2011 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 30 August 2011 12:11 PM
psikeyhackr - 23 August 2011 03:35 PM

No!  I went to Catholic schools but getting baptized meant going to baptismal class.

I would not stay after school to put up with nuns more than necessary.

Then I started reading science fiction at age 9 and decided I was an agnostic at 12.

psik

You may want to check on this with your parents, Psik. Maybe it’s different in the U.S., but in Canada one has to be baptized in order to be allowed to attend Catholic schools.

Not here George. Believe it or not, this atheist taught 7 & 8 grade math for a year at St. Charles Borromeo. If you have the money, they’ll take it.  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 30 August 2011 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

Hm, interesting. My wife recently applied for a job as a teacher at a Catholic school, and not that she was only asked to show her baptism certificate (or whatever it’s called), but they also want a reference letter from her priest, who obviously doesn’t exist. I have a friend who’s a priest but I am not sure how he would feel about lying.  grin

Posted: 30 August 2011 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

Well we both learn from each other, because I did not know that about Canada.

My home room kids:

Image Attachments
TeachHR.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2011 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2011-08-23

I “chose” to be baptized around age 12.

I wanted to be the first girl in my group to be baptized. I guess it seemed grown-up. Or at least it got me the attention of the grown-ups.

I felt nothing. I don’t remember even praying around that time. It was just another test I barely had to study to pass.

Signature 

The most terrifying fact of the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment.

However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.

-Stanley Kubrik

Posted: 01 September 2011 03:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2011-08-31
asanta - 23 August 2011 12:08 PM

Never turned on by magical water!

You’re right there is nothing magical about baptismal water. There comes a time for anyone born into a Christian family, it’s called “the age of accountability”.
They have to make a decision whether or not they want to be a Christian.

Posted: 01 September 2011 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25
traveler - 30 August 2011 01:36 PM

Believe it or not, this atheist taught 7 & 8 grade math for a year at St. Charles Borromeo. If you have the money, they’ll take it.  LOL

You were a math teacher, traveler? Cool.  Kids need good math teachers.

Posted: 01 September 2011 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2008-02-25
lamikin - 01 September 2011 03:16 PM

You’re right there is nothing magical about baptismal water.

I don’t even think that the baptismal water comes from clear mountain streams like the bottled water at my local rec center that sells for 8 dollars a gallon is supposed to come from.

3 of 9