A War on Science
Posted: 31 October 2006 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

A well done (IMO) documentary on "Intelligent" Design.

Posted: 31 October 2006 05:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15358
Joined  2006-02-14

Thanks for the heads-up George. Yes, it is quite good.

A couple of quibbles: First of all, they keep referring to ‘intelligent design’ as a “new” attack on Darwin, when it’s eminently clear that it’s the same old attack in new garb. But I suppose that’s done for rhetorical benefit.

Second, they do spend an inordinate amount of time explaining intelligent design, and not nearly enough (or nearly the same amount, in fact) describing evolution. So they missed something of an opportunity to explain the power of the theory.

But these are both relatively small issues in the scheme of things. I also wish they’d quoted from Judge Jones’s decision at the end ... “breathtaking inanity” is a good line, after all, as is his claim that the supporters of intelligent design perjured themselves on the stand about their motivations.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 31 October 2006 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I also wish they’d quoted from Judge Jones’s decision at the end

I agree. One feels (at least some) relief knowing that there are (at least some) rationally thinking people in power.

Posted: 31 October 2006 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Anyone who wants to read the (lengthy but wonderful) decision by Judge Jones can find it by clicking here .

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 01 November 2006 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  953
Joined  2005-01-14

I use a computer at the public library, and they disable the speakers, so I wasn’t able to hear the documentary.  Tell me, where can I get some more information about ID?  Some kid over at a Christian forum keeps trying to tell me that Intelligent Design is totally compatable with the Theory of Evolution!

Posted: 01 November 2006 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Advocatus, there are a number of books that deal with this issue, however it would likely take you awhile to read through them. If you are interested, I’ve heard two good ones are Philip Kitcher’s Abusing Science: the Case Against Creationism, and D.J. Futuyma’s Science on Trial: the Case for Evolution, 2nd Ed.

However, I’d start with:

The National Center for Science Education

and Judge Jones’s decision that I linked to above. No kidding, he goes through the evidence very well and very clearly and it’s free.

And I think you should press this ‘kid’ for what he means. It’s difficult to respond to a claim without an argument.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 04 November 2006 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-10-29

This is very interesting documentary. You can find some in Youtube also.

Posted: 15 November 2006 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  953
Joined  2005-01-14

[quote author=“dougsmith”]And I think you should press this ‘kid’ for what he means. It’s difficult to respond to a claim without an argument.

Since I challenged him to tell me more, he kind of slunk away.  I haven’t heard from him since.

Posted: 15 November 2006 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

[quote author=“advocatus”][quote author=“dougsmith”]And I think you should press this ‘kid’ for what he means. It’s difficult to respond to a claim without an argument.

Since I challenged him to tell me more, he kind of slunk away.  I haven’t heard from him since.

How typical! Maybe he went to the dessert to think about it…. :wink:

Posted: 15 November 2006 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

If the issue comes up again, definitely check out the resources for info on evolution I stickied in this (Science and Technology) folder. Lots of great stuff there.

Signature 

Doug