1 of 2
Could it be ??
Posted: 31 August 2011 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6159
Joined  2009-02-26

Can the African Mango boost natural metabolism?

Subjects Lost an Astonishing 3,990% More Weight

According to a recent study published in the scientific journal Lipids in Health and Disease, men and women supplementing with African Mango extract for just 28 days lost an astonishing 3,990% more weight than those taking a placebo (8.9 lbs vs. 0.22 lbs).1

Beyond the weight loss, the volunteers taking African Mango extract 30 minutes before meals lost a stunning average of 2.4 inches from their waistlines as well as 1.8 inches from their hips — and their bad LDL cholesterol, triglyceride, and glucose levels all plummeted.1

http://www.healthdiscoveriesmag.com/

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 31 August 2011 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

If they taste like the regular mangos, I’d rather stay fat.  LOL

After looking at the link, you’re just lucky, W4U, that you’re a good, long term member because I see that write-up as a pure advertisement, not a scientific study. 

Occam

[ Edited: 31 August 2011 06:19 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 31 August 2011 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 31 August 2011 06:14 PM

After looking at the link, you’re just lucky, W4U, that you’re a good, long term member because I see that write-up as a pure advertisement, not a scientific study. 

Occam

Sorry, just thought it was timely with CFI supporting stricter controls over homeopathic medicine.
Actually I think they are delicious if pared properly (slicing the fruit in half lengthwise around the long pit, then peeling the half).

But I still maintain (cautiously) that if there are plants, fruits, and herbs which are very poisonous, there may well be some which are in fact very healthy. In support of CFI’s efforts, it would be a good thing if in fact we did have some serious scientific data on the medicinal properties of certain fruits

[ Edited: 31 August 2011 06:46 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 31 August 2011 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

I actually did a little search on Wiki,

Nutrients and phytochemicals
Mango, raw

Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 272 kJ (65 kcal)

Carbohydrates 17.00 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Dietary fiber 1.8 g

Fat 0.27 g

Protein 0.51 g

Vitamin A equiv. 38 μg (5%)
- beta-carotene 445 μg (4%)

Thiamine (Vit. B1) 0.058 mg (5%)

Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.057 mg (5%)

Niacin (Vit. B3) 0.584 mg (4%)

Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.160 mg (3%)

Vitamin B6 0.134 mg (10%)

Folate (Vit. B9) 14 μg (4%)

Vitamin C 27.7 mg (33%)
Calcium 10 mg (1%)

Iron 0.13 mg (1%)

Magnesium 9 mg (3%)

Phosphorus 11 mg (2%)

Potassium 156 mg (3%)

Zinc 0.04 mg (0%)

Percentages are relative to US recommendations for adults.
Source: USDA Nutrient database
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz) is 272 kJ (65 kcal) and that of the apple mango is slightly higher (79 kcal per 100g). Mango is rich in a variety of phytochemicals[22] and nutrients. The fruit pulp is high in prebiotic dietary fiber, vitamin C, diverse polyphenols and provitamin A carotenoids.[23]
Mango contains essential vitamins and dietary minerals. The antioxidant vitamins A, C and E compose 25%, 76% and 9% of the Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) in a 165-gram (5.8-oz) serving. Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine, 11% DRI), vitamin K (9% DRI), other B vitamins and essential nutrients, such as potassium, copper and 17 amino acids are at good levels. Mango peel and pulp contain other phytonutrients, such as the pigment antioxidants – carotenoids and polyphenols – and omega-3 and -6 polyunsaturated fatty acids.[citation needed]
Mango peel contains pigments that may have antioxidant properties,[22][24] including carotenoids, such as the provitamin A compound, beta-carotene, lutein and alpha-carotene,[25] polyphenols[26][27] such as quercetin, kaempferol, gallic acid, caffeic acid, catechins, tannins, and the unique mango xanthonoid, mangiferin,[28] any of which may counteract free radicals in various disease processes as revealed in preliminary research.[29][30] Phytochemical and nutrient content appears to vary across mango species.[31] Up to 25 different carotenoids have been isolated from mango pulp, the densest of which was beta-carotene, which accounts for the yellow-orange pigmentation of most mango species.[32] Peel and leaves also have significant polyphenol content, including xanthonoids, mangiferin and gallic acid.[33]
The mango triterpene, lupeol,[34] is an effective inhibitor in laboratory models of prostate and skin cancers.[35][36][37] An extract of mango branch bark called Vimang, isolated by Cuban scientists, contains numerous polyphenols with antioxidant properties in vitro[38] and on blood parameters of elderly humans.[39]

[ Edited: 31 August 2011 07:02 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 31 August 2011 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

The article pretty well said that the African mangos are different from the standard ones. (They say the seeds are different, but the ones in the picture look exactly the same as the standard ones.) Which ones is this data for?

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 31 August 2011 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

More from Wiki,

Irvingia is a genus of African and Southeast Asian trees in the family Irvingiaceae, sometimes known by the common names wild mango, African mango, or bush mango. They bear edible mango-like fruits, and are especially valued for their fat- and protein-rich nuts.
The subtly aromatic nuts are typically dried in the sun for preservation, and are sold whole or in powder form. They may be ground to a paste known variously as dika bread or Gabon chocolate. Their high content of mucilage enables them to be used as thickening agents for dishes such as ogbono soup. The nuts may also be pressed for vegetable oil.
The fruit is a large drupe, with fibrous flesh. The trees yield a hard wood, useful in construction.
The genus is named for Dr Edward George Irving, a Royal Navy surgeon.[1]
[edit] Species
Irvingia gabonensis (Aubry-Lecomte ex O’Rorke) Baill.
Irvingia malayana Oliv. ex A. W. Benn.
Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Irvingia malayana
[edit] References
1.^ D. Gledhill. The Names of Plants. Cambridge University Press, 2008.
[edit] External links
Multilingual taxonomic information from the University of Melbourne
USDA Forest Products Laboratory Fact Sheet for Irvingia gabonensis
Cissus quadrangularis/Irvingia gabonensis weight loss study
Plant Resources of Tropical Africa - Irvingia gabonensis

Seems this is different from most mangoes where the flesh is the edible part, but in this species it is the nut (related to cashew) which has the concentration of nutrients.

[ Edited: 31 August 2011 07:43 PM by Write4U ]
Image Attachments
Bush mango seeds.jpg
 Signature 

W4U

Posted: 01 September 2011 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

OK, thanks. 

BTW, I love words and appreciate most of them, but one that’s always bothered me is one that describes a fleshy fruit with a central stone—drupe.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2011 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 01 September 2011 10:12 AM

OK, thanks. 

BTW, I love words and appreciate most of them, but one that’s always bothered me is one that describes a fleshy fruit with a central stone—drupe.  smile

Occam

Well they do droop from the branches…... cheese

Signature 

W4U

Posted: 21 September 2011 01:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  296
Joined  2011-09-13
Occam. - 31 August 2011 06:14 PM

Occam

I agree.  It sounds more like an ad for snake oil rather than a genuine scientific study.

Posted: 29 November 2011 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
lively life - 29 November 2011 10:22 AM

I haven’t any authentic information about this one.
So i will not provide you any type of the information that will not be useful for you.

LOL Oh boy.

BTW, what’s wrong with exercise? Proven to enhance health and lose unwanted pounds!

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 29 November 2011 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  6191
Joined  2006-12-20
traveler - 29 November 2011 11:56 AM

BTW, what’s wrong with exercise? Proven to enhance health and lose unwanted pounds!

Nothing wrong with it but the person needs to be motivated to take the exercise.

Stephen

Posted: 29 November 2011 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
StephenLawrence - 29 November 2011 12:05 PM

Nothing wrong with it but the person needs to be motivated to take the exercise.

Stephen

Of course you’re right. I just think people have gotten so lazy.

Signature 

Posted: 29 November 2011 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-12-20
traveler - 29 November 2011 12:18 PM

Stephen

Agreed but the next step is important, what should we do about that?

Stephen

Posted: 29 November 2011 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
StephenLawrence - 29 November 2011 12:32 PM
traveler - 29 November 2011 12:18 PM

Stephen

Agreed but the next step is important, what should we do about that?

Stephen

Mother nature might be taking care of it for us with obesity and diabetes. Our food industry needs a major overhaul as has been shown in several documentaries/movies/books. I swim, run, and go to the gym. I don’t expect everyone to do that, but they could take a daily walk or something. It’s their health, so if they don’t mind jiggling when they walk, then why should I care? Oh, I know - the cost of health care.  mad

Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2011 03:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2006-12-20
traveler - 29 November 2011 01:11 PM

Mother nature might be taking care of it for us with obesity and diabetes.

Nope, not unless these people have less children or their children have less children.

Our food industry needs a major overhaul as has been shown in several documentaries/movies/books.

Trouble is making money is about giving people what they want and people choose unhealthy options over healthy ones, often.

I swim, run, and go to the gym. I don’t expect everyone to do that, but they could take a daily walk or something. It’s their health, so if they don’t mind jiggling when they walk, then why should I care? Oh, I know - the cost of health care.  mad

Yes.

Stephen

Posted: 30 November 2011 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
StephenLawrence - 30 November 2011 03:20 AM

Nope, not unless these people have less children or their children have less children.

We agree except for the “nope” in the above statement. Let’s replace that with yes, because common symptoms of diabetes include erectile dysfunction in men and miscarriage in women.

Signature 

1 of 2