1 of 2
Neaderthals: overlap in time, geography, and ...
Posted: 31 August 2011 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Ancient DNA shows interbreeding between Homo sapiens and Neanderthal

“Until recently, the recovery of genetic material from flora and fauna subjected to the elements for 400 centuries was the subject of science fiction. But new methods of toning up degraded DNA, along with fast and accurate nucleotide sequencing, and software that lets researchers assemble the equivalent of a million-piece jigsaw puzzle, have made it possible.”

“Proto-humans and chimpanzees diverged from each other about 6.5 million years ago. Modern humans and Neanderthals diverged about 300,000 years ago. On a genetic level, Neanderthals and modern humans are almost as closely related as today’s ethnic groups are to each other.”

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 01 September 2011 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

So now when my wife calls me a neanderthal, she’s actually being scientific!

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 01 September 2011 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Of course they did.  As I’ve mentioned before, where do you think Neo-cons came from?  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 01 September 2011 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18
Occam. - 01 September 2011 10:03 AM

Of course they did.  As I’ve mentioned before, where do you think Neo-cons came from?  LOL

Occam

Neandercoms, perhaps?

Posted: 01 September 2011 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Gieco Neadthal

It’s so easy, it’s all in the family. LOL Oh those Europeans!

[ Edited: 01 September 2011 11:35 AM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 01 September 2011 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

This is damn good fuel for racism.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 01 September 2011 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2011-08-23
mid atlantic - 01 September 2011 01:24 PM

Except for it proves that white people are cave-men, not the other way around. I rather like it!

Signature 

The most terrifying fact of the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment.

However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.

-Stanley Kubrik

Posted: 01 September 2011 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24
StYossarian - 01 September 2011 01:28 PM

Except for it proves that white people are cave-men, not the other way around. I rather like it!

But the us and them still exists.  That is all it takes.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 01 September 2011 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

Recently saw a program on the origins of man on Nova.

Seems that, while possessing a large brain, the Homo Erectus Neanderthalensis was a hardwired plains carnivore and existed exclusively on meat and may have perished during the extended ice age which had a great impact on large animals.  The European tools all were large and designed for hunting and killing large animals at close range. Fossils found, all showed signs of multiple injuries, especially in adult males.

During this same time the Homo Erectus which remained in Africa were forced to the coasts and there learned to fish and gather fruits, nuts, vegetables. This brought about the making of a great variety of tools for delicate tasks such as prying open clams and mussles. But more importantly, as shellfish can be gathered only during very low tides, it may well have led to the first calendar and possibly spiritualism (full moon, low tide, good for clams). This may well have been the major cause for the continued development of the brain for abstract thought. Homo Sapiens naturally developed as a result of diversification and adaption.
They concluded that at least one variety of modern man originated at the tip of So Africa.

An interesting aside. There was also a “bottle-neck” effect. Apparently the earliest humans in Africa had a much greater DNA variety than those who made it into Europe and beyond. As only a relatively few made the migration, a lot of the diversity was lost due to the bottle-neck effect, which may further account for differences with the more advanced modern man who the later migrated from Africa.

One other interesting fact is the realization that migration happened very slowly over tens of thousands of years. Thus if tribes (families) moved 1 mile per year, in 5000 - 10000 years they would have spread all over Europe and beyond.

[ Edited: 01 September 2011 03:21 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 01 September 2011 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-08-23

I think I saw the same one! I love Nova so much.

Signature 

The most terrifying fact of the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment.

-Stanley Kubrik

Posted: 02 September 2011 06:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
mid atlantic - 01 September 2011 02:01 PM

But the us and them still exists.  That is all it takes.

Purveyors of ignorance and fear will spread their twisted messages no matter what science finds or fails to find.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 02 September 2011 06:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

Of course you like it. Ignorance often provides great entertainment.

Posted: 02 September 2011 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-09-10

I was on a forum where a person was trying to argue that Neanderthal man was more evolved than Homo Sapien, and this finding proved it.
Yep.

Posted: 02 September 2011 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-08-23

Ugh. “More evolved” is meaningless.

What does that even mean?

I think the assertion that every “next step” in evolution is a good one implies a fundamental misunderstanding of how evolution works. It’s the sort of “evolution as god” mentality that I see more and more from atheists my age.

Signature 

-Stanley Kubrik

Posted: 02 September 2011 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-08-23
George - 02 September 2011 06:49 AM

Of course you like it. Ignorance often provides great entertainment.

Oh George, are we destined to fight forever? Shouldn’t we get married before we have our bitter divorce?

Signature 

-Stanley Kubrik

Posted: 02 September 2011 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

Thanks Jump. I just finished a book by Brian Fagan Called Cro Magnon concerning this very subject.  At the time of publication, anthropologists speculated that there may have been some interbreeding, but they weren’t sure. Both species existed in the same time period but Neanderthal died out ca. 35,000 years ago. I love studying about the Pleistocene period! No organized religion, cold climate, plenty of game and no boundries. You could roam anywhere at will. Ok, so the average lifespan was 26 years. That didn’t mean that everyone died that young! And mammoths are my favorite animals.

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

1 of 2